Rules Congress

I do not recall this activity ever being "stagnant". Of course, avoiding stagnation is the task of the designer, by coming up with fresh design ideas.

well we all have different view points dont we. There have been many corps stuck over the years but you are right and my point exactly it is up to designers to come up with fresh ideas.

One just has to think about some corps and see the very thing that made them a classic has sometimes been the same thing that took them down. Just a thought.

Edited by GUARDLING

That is the problem with recruiting for DCA based on the lure of the DCI product. If the objective is to recruit kids for DCA corps, you should be showing them what DCA corps do. Otherwise, the kids may view DCA as nothing more than a stepping stone to DCI.

There are already those who do DCA first and then DCI. Some DCA corps actually market themselves as giving potential DCI members a place to march and gain experience (and I am not referring to C2). Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

Wow - sensing a concerted piggy-pile on anyone who disagrees. Were you guys up all night posting this stuff? You all seem very intent on crushing opposition and managing public perception.

No, people are giving you their own opinions that happen to disagree with your views. There are those here who agree with you. We are all fans talking about drum corps. You are free to post anything you wish as long as it is within the terms of DCP posting guidelines (regarding foul language, personal attacks).

A summary of the principal justifications given here in favor of adding electronics...

... would inevitably raise the same case in favor of adding woodwinds.

and if drum corps is saved by whatever means...ok personally i dont want to see or hear WWs BUT I do want the activity to continue

Edited by GUARDLING

Jim,

I saw a band in 1976 that marched an electric bass on the field, with a "roadie" pushing the amp, small speaker and battery pack on a hand-truck.

Hope the roadie got a band patch at the end of the season like the rest of the band. :tounge2:

Used to see that at the Hanover Memorial Day Parade but forget which HS it was. Remember it because of the nasty hill at the end of the parade which ends at the cemetary.

• Like 1

and if drum corps is saved by whatever means...ok personally i dont want to see or hear WWs BUT I do want the activity to continue

At that point, I would question whether whatever is "saved" would still be "drum corps". But before we go off on that semantic tangent -

What is with all your talk of doom and gloom? What does drum corps need to be "saved" from? Again, it was not that long ago that DCA doubled in size. Now, you make it sound as if it will all fold like a house of cards tomorrow unless DCA adds electronics (and maybe woodwinds). I am not seeing the connection.

It is to a point. DCA shrunk again too. Many less corps than 2005 for a variety of reasons. Winter guard and winter percussion groups are flourishing. The guards can join a corps and be doing similar things, the percussionists, not so much. This put them on equal playing fields. To some that may not matter much, but for others, most importantly. caption heads, techs, and fellow instructors, it does make a difference.

• Like 1

At that point, I would question whether whatever is "saved" would still be "drum corps". But before we go off on that semantic tangent -

What is with all your talk of doom and gloom? What does drum corps need to be "saved" from? Again, it was not that long ago that DCA doubled in size. Now, you make it sound as if it will all fold like a house of cards tomorrow unless DCA adds electronics (and maybe woodwinds). I am not seeing the connection.

Problem I'm hearing is in the audience seems to be getting older and older. Apparently corps are getting younger but the audience isn't. How this relates to changes being made I have no idea.

There are already those who do DCA first and then DCI. Some DCA corps actually market themselves as giving potential DCI members a place to march and gain experience (and I am not referring to C2). Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with what you say here, in that using DCA experience as a stepping stone to DCI is perfectly valid. By saying -

"Otherwise, the kids may view DCA as nothing more than a stepping stone to DCI."

- I only meant to point out that DCA should have some other purpose besides just serving as a stepping stone to DCI. Scholastic programs serve that purpose for many kids; even some DCI corps serve as stepping stones to each other. If that is all DCA is good for, it would be more efficient to merge it into DCI.