How did Carolina Crown's hornline rise to dominance so fast

Wasn't Bloo "languishing" in that 5 to 10 "no man's land" just a few years ago?

:poke:

Yes... and its still premature to conclude if last year from Bloo is a trend, or an outlier. Is Crown's fall of 4 placement places last season, out of the top 4 for the first time in 7 years, a trend in the making ? or an outlier ? Who knows. I don't know. Nobody does. Only time will tell us.

My central point above is that the overwhelming vast majority of the DCI Corps in the World Class Division lower ranks do not move far UP the DCI placement ladder very much.(1-3 years does not offer us a long enough historical context in which to properly gauge placement movement assessments... so we naturally need to look at longer periods of time ). Nobody refutes the undeniable fact that the vast majority of Corps remain relatively stuck, placement wise, in their overall individual Corps pecking order placements, despite the fine season that Bloo had last year with their first foray into the top 2 in DCI in 3 decades.

Edited by BRASSO

That is what he said....that is what Brasso said.

This I Believe.

Yowza

• Like 2

Yes... and its still premature to conclude if last year from Bloo is a trend, or an outlier. Is Crown's fall of 4 placement places last season, out of the top 4 for the first time in 7 years, a trend in the making ? or an outlier ? Who knows. I don't know. Nobody does. Only time will tell us.

My central point above is that the overwhelming vast majority of the DCI Corps in the World Class Division lower ranks do not move far UP the DCI placement ladder very much.(1-3 years does not offer us a long enough historical context in which to properly gauge placement movement assessments... so we naturally need to look at longer periods of time ). Nobody refutes the undeniable fact that the vast majority of Corps remain relatively stuck, placement wise, in their overall individual Corps pecking order placements, despite the fine season that Bloo had last year with their first foray into the top 2 in DCI in 3 decades.

the vast majority of those corps don't design to go all out. talent is there. design isn't

Crown's "fall" mimics what has happened to most of the top DCI winners, Cadets in the '80's, BD, and Cavs as exceptions to the rule but not always absolute.

I'd say both the BD (http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=corpsdet&corps=9&corpstype=Junior) and the Cavies (http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=corpsdet&corps=9&corpstype=Junior) had their own temporary dips even if it was short in duration.

Edited by Ghost

I think a big reason that so many of the corps fall after winning a championship is because they just start trying too hard. They seem to overdo their shows because they feel that they have to go way over the top with their next year show. That's how I felt about Crown's show this year.

It may surprise some that one of the largest turn-overs of membership occur in September after a corps has won their DCI ring in August.

The number of members who retire at the top or think next season can never top this or decide that they have reached their goal and now move on to other life options is usually an extremely high number beyond the usual. Thus, the defending champion begins the season with a smaller number of vets with championship experience than one would presume.

Edited by xandandl

It may surprise some that one of the largest turn-overs of membership occur in September after a corps has won their DCI ring in August.

The number of members who retire at the top or think next season can never top this or decide that they have reached their goal and now move on to other life options is usually an extremely high number beyond the usual. Thus, the defending champion begins the season with a smaller number of vets with championship experience than one would presume.

That's interesting, but makes sense. I'm surprised since so many BD members have rings on during their finals performance each year.

It's be interesting to see the data on that.

Easy answer, yet probably the most likely:

1) Danged good players.

2) Danged good instruction.

3) Being ultra-careful and discerning in the selection process (one refrains from saying "nearly anal")

3) Work like Hell. Then work some more.

Edited by HornTeacher