Marching member costs concerns

I realize drum corps does not appear to be for those without disposable income, despite the fact that some MMs do work hard to make the money for the summer and/or crowdsource, etc. But, have there been many discussions about the costs associated with drum corps, especially the cumulative nature of them for mostly (relatively) poor college kids?

I'm thinking of the costs to go to repeated camps. There's the cost to travel there and the cost of the camp. So, let's figure a tank of gas at least, sometimes two, plus camp fees. Camps seem to occur at about a monthly rate. That adds up. If you're a college kid trying to work to pay the bills, it's very hard, and yet, they love drum corps and feel pressured by staff to attend the camps. Not to mention this is right before and after the holidays when perhaps the kids and the parents are shorter on cash (not to mention, near crunch time and final exams for colleges). I feel for these members.

As a parent who is planning right now for college expenses within the year, who is counseling her child to minimize debt in college, I guess I find some of this setup a bit elitist, though that's a strong word and I don't find the people of drum corps I know to be elitist. Yes, of course there are costs involved. I'm not saying it should be free. But I am saying, is it all necessary? Seems like this would be a wonderful place to start using some technology for virtual camps and whatnot. No, it's not like the real thing, but if it saves the kid $200 or more for a weekend, then maybe it's worth exploring.

And as a side note, even high school marching band costs seem to be escalating beyond a typical kid's means. I really hate this. I've supported my local HS band generously, but I do think that curtailing some costs just to make the activity an option for those without independent wealth would be worth it.

• Like 3

the price certainly keeps some people away...

but for many corps, with multiple people lining up to audition for each spot, I don't think there would be a benefit to the corps to charge less. Likewise no incentive to cut camps. I do think corps are now doing assignments between camps with youtube/facebook.

Drum corps is generally an upper middle class activity, IMO... they are the ones that can afford to drop thousands of dollars to do this. I know kids that have taken time off from school to march, and kids that have taken out student loans and used some of that money to march as well.

As far as HS, I know it is really expensive at the top of the BOA world, but I don't really know what it costs at an average high school... I would guess it doesn't cost too much.

• Like 1

As far as HS, I know it is really expensive at the top of the BOA world, but I don't really know what it costs at an average high school... I would guess it doesn't cost too much.

Our New Jersey HS is mid-size, and not top flight, and charges the following:

• $50 School District-imposed activity fee
  • $50 to the Band Boosters
  • $100 Deposit which is returned if you sell $100 worth of ads for the home-tournament ad-book

For some mm, it's not an easy solution. Those with the talent and want to march a top corps have to come up with the funds. I'm guessing those same top corps expect each mm to attend their Winter camps and that's mentioned during the auditions. If a mm cannot meet their requirements, they move on to the next qualified mm. Either a mm with limited funds really works hard to raise the money in many different ways, or they have to lower their desires and march with a corps that doesn't travel as much and has fewer off season camps. Since the beginning of DCI, this problem has always reared its ugly head. Once outside sponsorship faded away, corps have folded because they couldn't raise the money.

As for HS bands, I'd say the bigger the band, the more props/equipment they use, the more funds they will need. At the HS level, do not parents have more say in what the goals should be?

• Like 1

I don't view this subject any differently than for a child who wishes to pursue additional avenues in the athletic world. Maybe not so much in the team sport arena (although that area can be financially frightening as well), but most certainly in the more individualized sports (competitive figure skating, skiing, equestrian, and maybe even track and field, although I am less familiar with that specific area). I can speak from experience in terms of the figure skating world; my daughter was involved in the activity for about 9 years, beginning at the age of 6. We NEVER pushed her into it -- she decided for herself early on that she wanted to do it. We thought "O.K. -- cute. Nice little activity. She'll outgrow it, though." Well...4 years later, she and her Ice Dance partner qualified for USFSA (United States Figure Skating Association) Junior Nationals. Soo...ice time...coaching...outfits...more ice time...more coaching...outgrown skates...travel and housing for competitions...Plane flights to Nationals (and later Senior National Sectionals)...Test sessions...more ice time...more coaching...more...more...more... .

It was a very painful day when my wife and I had to sit her down and explain the "facts of life." Plainly put: it had to end (and as further proof of my daughter's strength and maturity: while she sobbed and cried with Harrigan-like appropriatness "Why?? Why??", she adapted. And gracefully so. Dad is still bearing the guilt. And whle she moved on. I'm not sure Dad EVER has.), she ended up handling it a lot better than I did. I'm still not at peace with what I (albeit, with understandable assurance) robbed her of. The gold at the end of the rainbow, however, was that she suddenly KNEW her school friends. She was able to get involved in her school activities and team sports (at which she instantly excelled in Volleyball and Soccer). She also had more time available to further pursue her trumpet studies (which made this trumpet-playing Dad quite happy, to say the least, since at comparable ages, she was light-years ahead of the old man at the same point in his life). I comfort myself with the age-worn words "Father knows best." and leave it at that.

Yes, it (Drum Corps) is expensive. And no, it is not for everybody. That is not an elitist viewpoint on my part -- but rather, a simply and economically factual one. But -- whatever a child or person chooses to pursue, it is important to remember that the activity exists for the child to pursue and enjoy (but always on the activity's terms)...the child does not exist for the activity. That may seem harsh, but it's true. Whatever we choose, we choose to do on the activity's terms. The activity won't change to facilitate our ease. If you find the once-in-a-million situation where allowances are made, then please be sure to accept it with good grace...and know just how incredibly fortunate you most probably are.

I wish your child well, and he or she has my strongest thoughts and wishes for an enjoyable, personally satisfying, and educationally successful experience. And by educationally successful, I'm not speaking merely in terms of music -- but rather as a maturation and life experience as well.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 7

Excellent post Horn Teacher. Another point the OP has to consider is that members are being asked to pay less than half of the cost of a member's participation. The corps raise the rest through fundraising, donations, performance fees, etc.

Some corps have begun to reduce the number of camps that members must attend in favor of using tools like SmartMusic. This not only reduces member costs of traveling to camps, but reduces the corps cost of operating the camps (rental of facilities, feeding everyone, travel costs for staff and admin, etc.). This helps keep member costs from increasing.

• Like 2

Our New Jersey HS is mid-size, and not top flight, and charges the following:

• $50 School District-imposed activity fee
  • $50 to the Band Boosters
  • $100 Deposit which is returned if you sell $100 worth of ads for the home-tournament ad-book

That's pretty cheap. I'd add that there are other expenses that are not easily calculated, for instance, getting to and from band camp/practice in the summer, esp. if there is no parent home during those hours or the kid doesn't have a ride. And sometimes band camp itself, the instrument and its upkeep (although that's relatively minimal usually), food at competitions or other events (yes, you could pack, I know), uniform items like shoes, gloves. I know some of this may be one-time, but for a kid without means, those upfront costs can be prohibitive.

Maybe it's time for sponsors.

The Underwood Blue Devils

The Burlington Bluecoats

The National Aeronautics and Space Cadets

Santa Clara Vanguard Mutual Funds

Carolina Crown Royal...

The National Aeronautics and Space Cadets. One of those things which I will go to my grave ardently wishing I could have thought of first. You STILL have me rolling on that one!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Excellent post Horn Teacher. Another point the OP has to consider is that members are being asked to pay less than half of the cost of a member's participation. The corps raise the rest through fundraising, donations, performance fees, etc.

Some corps have begun to reduce the number of camps that members must attend in favor of using tools like SmartMusic. This not only reduces member costs of traveling to camps, but reduces the corps cost of operating the camps (rental of facilities, feeding everyone, travel costs for staff and admin, etc.). This helps keep member costs from increasing.

Whether it's half the cost or the whole cost, the price tag is the price tag. I am glad to hear that some corps are reducing the number of camps. Definitely a good step IMO.

I don't view this subject any differently than for a child who wishes to pursue additional avenues in the athletic world. Maybe not so much in the team sport arena (although that area can be financially frightening as well), but most certainly in the more individualized sports (competitive figure skating, skiing, equestrian, and maybe even track and field, although I am less familiar with that specific area). I can speak from experience in terms of the figure skating world; my daughter was involved in the activity for about 9 years, beginning at the age of 6. We NEVER pushed her into it -- she decided for herself early on that she wanted to do it. We thought "O.K. -- cute. Nice little activity. She'll outgrow it, though." Well...4 years later, she and her Ice Dance partner qualified for USFSA (United States Figure Skating Association) Junior Nationals. Soo...ice time...coaching...outfits...more ice time...more coaching...outgrown skates...travel and housing for competitions...Plane flights to Nationals (and later Senior National Sectionals)...Test sessions...more ice time...more coaching...more...more...more... .

I agree with you! BTDT too (with gymnastics)! At least drum corps has a down time, unlike most sports these days. I still support looking at how things are done in order to save time, money, resources.