Question On Boston's show

cage

Did anyone catch this or was this talked about over the summer? In chapter 27 of the second disc of the Bluray they corps proper makes and holds "G7." Shortly after they have the audio of "some are more equal than others." I am assuming this is a dig on the G7. Especially for when they made top 7 in 2012 and were not invited to the tour of champions shows.

No... the G7 the Boston Crusaders were referencing in their show last season was actually this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G7

The "G7" in BAC's show was most likely a jab at the G7 and not being part of TOC shows could have played a part, but it depends on who you ask, and most likely some of the people more closely associated with BAC will have some thoughts. When the G7 talks started, there was a possibility of a G8 and BAC was supposed to be included, at least according to one source I know who is involved with BAC, is not prone to gossip, and is usually (90% or so) accurate. People in the organization did not think the G8 model would have worked and did not like the direction G7 was headed, so BAC declined.

If I remember correctly, the G7 lineup was not supposed to change if a corps fell from the top 7, which is why BAC was excluded in 2013 even though they placed 7th, the original theory being that the top seven corps would change among themselves, but they would always be the same top seven corps. 2012 proved this to be false, and we almost saw the same thing happen in 2014. Remember Blue Knights edged out Phantom at prelims and semis.

To get back to your question, "Animal Farm" was supposed to be a show open to varying interpretations, and there was not supposed to be one correct interpretation with people thinking for themselves, so I suppose any interpretation of G7 in the show would be correct.

Edited by Tim K

Cool, being on tour for much of the summer and seeing Boston many times, I never caught it until I popped in the Bluray.

It was very much a dig at the G7, the audio clip was ‘all drum corps are equal some are more equal than others’ and then the DCI logo on the flags (for finals only)

After the G7 thing came out, they retreated a bit and said it’s be G8, the 8th based on placement average over 3 years, Boston met this and were at the ToC shows and then it changed

It was very much a dig at the G7, the audio clip was ‘all drum corps are equal some are more equal than others’ and then the DCI logo on the flags (for finals only)

It is unfortunate that Boston chose to go further with the references at finals. It wasn't necessary at all. That one drill formation spoke volumes. Many people understood the reference. There was no need to "up the ante."

It is unfortunate that Boston chose to go further with the references at finals. It wasn't necessary at all. That one drill formation spoke volumes. Many people understood the reference. There was no need to "up the ante."

I suppose in retrospect, Boston in 2014 could have " upped the ante " on their chosen theme by going big on narration with it throughout last season... with maybe the narrator up on a big stage(s) with a microphone to " 'splain things to audiences ". Who knows, it might've even given them more GE points to maybe move them up a placement or 2 as well. But they decided to do the entire show's story telling sans big box props, narration, etc with their show last summer and so it was what it was.. and so now onto 2015. I thought the BAC DM at Finals with the tiny bottle of talcum powder he took to the podium and raised in a toast like fashion to the judges up in the booth ( with a smile on his face) was a real hoot, imo. This had nothing at all to do with a G7 reference. If we recall, BAC at Semi's the year before was assessed by a judge a penalty for the introduction of... holy mackeral, what an egregious prop offense.... baby's talcum powder as a prop at Semi's.

Edited by BRASSO

I thought the BAC DM at Finals with the tiny bottle of talcum powder he took to the podium and raised in a toast-like fashion to the judges up in the booth (with a smile on his face) was a real hoot, imo. This had nothing at all to do with a G7 reference. If we recall, BAC at Semis the year before was assessed by a judge a penalty for the introduction of... holy mackeral, what an egregious prop offense.... baby's talcum powder as a prop.

Small correction: it was Prelims 2013 not Semifinals in which Boston was assessed a one-point penalty for using powder as they ran out of the tunnel to begin their production of "Rise". (Several people on these boards, as I recall, argued at the time that, since Boston had no chance of moving up more than one place in Semis and Finals, they ought to continue to use the powder in those performances, but they didn't.) They had only begun using the powder a few days earlier, I believe, in either Pittsburgh or Centerville (I was at both shows, but don't remember where I first saw it), where the timing and penalties judges were apparently unaware of that rule, because Boston wasn't penalized in those locations.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Correction so noted... 2013 Boston Crusaders were assessed a penalty at Quarters,( not Semi's) for the useage of talcum powder as a prop... a prop not allowed under current DCI rules.

Edited by BRASSO