Reasons for decrease in audience over the decades?

First show I went to was Hershey, PA 1974 and it was a regular season 5 corps show (Thunderbirds, Buccs, Matadors, Cabs, Yankee Rebels IIRC).Only big thing I could think of going on was Buccs and Cabs were neck and neck and this was abut the middle of the season. We get there night of the show and find out the concert side (remember that term?) was SOLD OUT. From what I was told 8K fit on one side so paid attendance was 8000 plus the 1000 or so on the other side. Cabs website have a vid of that show so you can see the paid folks around the 50 on the far side.

Also helped with/attended the Carlisle show (70s/80s) and from talking to the people know more than a few had nothing to do with corps and just liked to go there for an evenings entertainment.

So how did we lose these non-corps people over the decades? Have changes to shows over the years just left them behind (I walked away for ten years and that possibility crossed my mind)? Has the cost of tickets killed the idea of shows being a good price for an evenings couple of hours entertainment?

No idea myself except guesses so let's hear yours......

From those I've asked over the years as to why they no longer attended, in particular, the championships, money or location was never an issue. Rather it fell into three basic reasons for them, collectively or otherwise, in no particular order:

**No Longer entertaining.

**Sameness in many of the corps--no defined corps' individual personality.

**No longer any actual array of known and well received "personalities".

I would think the people who not longer find it entertaining want something back they will never get, i.e. old school drum corps, Which is fine.

But I would hate to think there are any corps who would bow to those that wished that and not give their members more.

I also would think that what those who make that claim would find entertaining, I would not.

I would think the people who not longer find it entertaining want something back they will never get, i.e. old school drum corps, Which is fine.

But I would hate to think there are any corps who would bow to those that wished that and not give their members more.

I also would think that what those who make that claim would find entertaining, I would not.

I've heard others say they are no longer entertained without getting into old school vs new school arguments. Some of them feel that DC have moved into a higher level of music being played that they do not find enteratining or entertaining enought that they want to spend the time and money to go anymore. And everyone I know that no longer goes is not in music as a career.

To put it in a sound bite: DC has gone from being kinda low brow in music selection to high brow. And not everyone enjoys high brow music.

To put it my words: DC music has changed and it's a matter of personal taste if people like it or not.

And to get more On Topic: IMO we have lost the non-corps connected people in the audience, for whatever reasons.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

As far as I'm concerned, in 2014, DCI presentations took a huge step back toward what worked traditionally in generating customer satisfaction. They did it with all the recent changes many in DCA audiences fear. These things can enhance, rather than destroy. But, multi-camera DOES help! :smile:

• Like 1

I've heard others say they are no longer entertained without getting into old school vs new school arguments. Some of them feel that DC have moved into a higher level of music being played that they do not find enteratining or entertaining enought that they want to spend the time and money to go anymore. And everyone I know that no longer goes is not in music as a career.

To put it in a sound bite: DC has gone from being kinda low brow in music selection to high brow. And not everyone enjoys high brow music.

To put it my words: DC music has changed and it's a matter of personal taste if people like it or not.

And to get more On Topic: IMO we have lost the non-corps connected people in the audience, for whatever reasons.

is it low brow, or has what is popular today is not the same as what was popular then? I mean, if i hear Children of Sanchez, Birdland or Malaguena on a field again, i'll probably hurt someone. But last year I heard the Doors, the year before the Stones...and tons of other stuff too, and was very entertained.

• Like 1

... I mean, if i hear Children of Sanchez, Birdland or Malaguena on a field again, i'll probably hurt someone. ...

Oh well ... there goes my show concept for next year ... LOL ...

:doh:

NOTE: My posts here and above are speaking GENERALLY. We can all find exceptions in any era so just making sure that is understood.

In going from low to high brow (still can't think of a better term) it's also that now we have themes in shows that rule all (yeah I'll say it). So if a corps played something that people really liked or became a corps signature tune you can kiss that good bye as "it don't fit the theme" (Thinking Carlos Mencia saying the last 5 words.) Now Cabs have to play "Hide The Rumps" to be able to say that they still play them (do they?).

Also not too knowledgeble on it but didn't people complain here about "chop n bop" arrangements where it was pieces of songs instead of playing an entire song.

And hey, the arrangements back in the day were more basic because of the missing valve and less instruments (full pit, etc) that could be used.

Earlier corps would play a song and there would be a break between songs. Today there is a smoother slide/segue at times for some tunes which is more musical but a difference. Segue to me is part of the corps playing end of one song as rest of corps is coming in with the second (can't think of good example at present).

And before my time every corps had a Color Pre which in most cases the music was known by about all. Lot more known than Doors, Chuck Mangy-dog, etc, etc,....

Again: Not saying right/wrong/good/bad, Just a dis-passionate (is that a word) discussion.....

PS - to lighten the mood add 'Rocky' to Jeff/Andys list... unless it's the Matadors doing the 1980 fanfare...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Color-Pre. One of those terms that makes me gag.

• Like 2

Color-Pre. One of those terms that makes me gag.

Mine is starting/ending line.... just missed that one thank goodness.....

Funny part is getting rid of the Color Pre was one of the things that made the 1975 era "not drum corps" to some people. Why I'd never use that term as in 1975 I didn't see any problem. Seeing things from both sides does give one a different perspective.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Mine is starting/ending line.... just missed that one thank goodness.....

Funny part is getting rid of the Color Pre was one of the things that made the 1975 era "not drum corps" to some people. Why I'd never use that term as in 1975 I didn't see any problem. Seeing things from both sides does give one a different perspective.

My dad never liked the idea of corps starting on the field. He LOVED the old off-the-line numbers and drill.