Petition to Air DCI Finals on CBS

So what are the demographics of the people signing the petition? Is it the high buying age/income group that advertizers want to see?

I'd imagine quite a few are from teenagers actually. Band memes or whatever the Facebook group is called pushed the link out and if I remember correctly, they have about 200k followers or something like that. Most of them, from my experience in the comments section, are teens who have marched or are currently marching.

I'd agree with this. It's a blip on the radar for CBS. It was shared on Facebook by almost everyone I know, but I wonder if most of them actually even read what they were signing. It is a poorly written proposal with little to no facts. Even if 5 million people sign it, CBS (Sports) will just think it's cute. It was a knee jerk reaction by someone probably barely out of high school to a poorly thought out tweet by a mediocre sports-caster. The whole idea is bad for DCI, even worse for CBS, and I just don't get it...

I think the reactions were hilarious, but I also think anyone seriously offended isn't being very honest with themselves. We are all band "dorks", nerds, geeks, whatever your preference may be. Not only are we those "dorks" Jim Rome poked fun at, we are an even more elite group of band "dorks" who follow other elite band "dorks". Drum corps isn't just some pedestrian activity like marching band - it is what those of us with the obsession, desire, and financial ability, do when marching band just isn't enough. Embrace it! It's a great thing and it's made me and all of my closest friends the amazing people we are today. And remember, when you're at your local marching band show, sitting through hours of performances, not all of those bands are Broken Arrow, Carmel, Flower Mound, etc. There are some really below average marching bands in the world that I know you've cringed and poked fun at with other band "dorks".

So.. anyways. Settle down. Read things before you sign them. Think about what you're doing. Jim Rome has gotten more attention than he deserves. If you want to change anything, get off your couch. Go see a show close to you, in the theaters, sponsor a kid, drive to Indy, volunteer on a food truck, whatever. Go support some other band "dorks".

• Like 2

I think several corps do something like this during the year. Really short snippets, but it's something. Cadets, Scouts, Troopers have had documentaries over the course of a season produced, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. The Cadets one focused on members from audition to Finals (I think during the 2000 season maybe), and I think it could be possible to produce. Maybe even as a Netflix, or Hulu, or YouTube-type shortened season of 6-8 episodes that had a very obvious story/character arc (audition-rehearsals-tour-Finals week).

IDK: we'd need a producer with a vision and know-how, some network interested in financing, and a corps willing to go through with it. I do know a reality TV producer who is a drum corps (Bluecoats) alum, but I don't know if he's ever thought about a drum corps or marching band type of series.

And then there's all of BD's content, although I don't know of anything that follows a particular person from auditions.

IMO, the primary value of this petition is to focus attention on drum corps. Most people don't know the activity exists, or that it is an elite form of marching band. That fact is implicit in the petition, and that's helpful to the activity for those who read about the petition. If 1% of the US population (3 million) were to read about this, and learn that DCI exists as the top form of the activity, then that would probably quadruple the number of people who know about it now.

• Like 1

The degree with which Rome back-tracked surprised me. I suspect it was only the wisp of "bully" that made him jump quick.

I'd bet the vast majority of his fans loved that he poked the band geeks. Yea, there were a few sports dudes who stood up for the band; IMO, most of the jocks just enjoyed watching the band geeks squeal.

As it has been for all time (at least all of MY time).

The degree with which Rome back-tracked surprised me. I suspect it was only the wisp of "bully" that made him jump quick.

I'd bet the vast majority of his fans loved that he poked the band geeks. Yea, there were a few sports dudes who stood up for the band; IMO, most of the jocks just enjoyed watching the band geeks squeal.

As it has been for all time (at least all of MY time).

Things have changed quite a bit from the stereotypes that existed a while ago. Have you watched 21 jumpstreet (or was it 22 jumpstreet? I'm talking about the one where they pretend to be high schoolers)? They kinda showed how things have changed a little where people are still grouped together, but the "hierarchies" so to speak are way more blurred. It's not as surprising anymore to find a band geek be more popular than an athlete and bullies are actively fought against. My experience could be influenced by the fact that I went to school in one of the richest counties in the nation, but many of my friends from different parts of the country have similar experiences.

Things have changed quite a bit from the stereotypes that existed a while ago. Have you watched 21 jumpstreet (or was it 22 jumpstreet? I'm talking about the one where they pretend to be high schoolers)? They kinda showed how things have changed a little where people are still grouped together, but the "hierarchies" so to speak are way more blurred. It's not as surprising anymore to find a band geek be more popular than an athlete and bullies are actively fought against. My experience could be influenced by the fact that I went to school in one of the richest counties in the nation, but many of my friends from different parts of the country have similar experiences.

I sure hope you're right. I'll look for the new viewpoints this year when we tell the coach's when they have to leave the field so the bands can practice for their show.

:tounge2:

I sure hope you're right. I'll look for the new viewpoints this year when we tell the coach's when they have to leave the field so the bands can practice for their show.

:tounge2:

Hah good luck with that. Our high school is the 3rd or 4th best football program in the state and there were plenty of power struggles between our band director and football coach over practice times on the field.

I am ignorant on this subject. Anyone got a link to some background?

DCI basically had to foot the bill. prime time, even on a Tuesday, on ESPN is not cheap. DCI doesnt have agreements wth the kind if sponsors to help underwrite the program.

Sure the NFL gets billions from CBS, NBC, Fox and ESPN. But the advertisers they draw pay in a ton to run on Sundays ( and Mondays, Thursdays and select Saturdays). Look at what Super Bowl ads go for.

even on a Saturday night, which anymore is among the worst nights for traditional networks to pull viewers, would cost more than ESPN did. DCI can't afford that, and Yamaha, Pearl etc aren't ponying up that kind of cash to advertise and help offset the cost

• Like 1

What might be even better is this (and something I posted on a facebook thread pertaining to the matter)...

Mr. Rome has always put forth a rather "macho" attitude. Through his comments, he seemed to imply not only that marchers (and by extension, fans) are dorks, but that they are also "soft" or "non-athletic." Well, if that is how he feels, more power to him. Then I suggest that he be invited to spend a week taking part in all-day rehearsals...every minute, every hour...sometime in July. In Texas.

Carrying either a contra or tenors - his choice.

Carrying either a contra or tenors - his choice.

Seeing Romes pic I don't see him as that macho. Know of an Alumni type corps that has a female contra player so say put Rome next to her. Used to have a HS aged petite female tenor player but she left when she hit college age. All I ask is one parade with Rome next to the female to really try to keep his image "macho". :silly:

Edited by JimF-LowBari