Petition to Air DCI Finals on CBS

I agree with much of what Hockey Dad has to say, and kids in bands do call themselves "Band Geeks" ad wear the title with pride.

However what irks me about the comment would be Jim Rome's derogatory and scoffing attitude. On DCP, when marching bands are mentioned, the truly excellent such as Broken Arrow are the frame of reference. We mention the best of BOA and how innovative and talented these groups are, but in fact, these excellent groups are they are the minority. There are far more programs that are average at best in comparison, but are reasonably good. In most school systems, bands are a "catch all" activity that can include the Valedictorian and star athlete but also include the kid who wants to belong to something, but....These are the groups I believe he insulted.

Now he can insult fans if he so desires all he wants, we are older, we can take it, but when you're insulting kids, to me it's a whole different matter. However nothing will come of it. He may apologize, but we'll never see a DCOI broadcast as a result. For one thing, will any of us remember this in August and will it really become a rallying cry, in, sorry Hockey Dad, for lack of a better phrase--the marching arts community?

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

Two things happening here:

1. Offensive tweet.

2. OP's proposed solution

I haven't even seen #1, so here's my thoughts on #2...

While I'd love to see it on CBS because I'd enjoy watching it live on TV, you know what much of the non-marching arts audience would say if they were to see DCI on CBS?

"Wow, those band geeks/dorks (choose your pejorative) are pretty good." (Flips channel after 5 seconds.)

It's just not in CBS best business interest to do it, and considering past results (or lack thereof) with putting it on a network, I'm not even sure it'd be in DCI's.

Could someone link or quote the offending tweet?

Edited by troon8

He removed the tweet and tweeted an apology. Time to move on. You will never win over some people. So it's not worth trying. Don't we have some Hop bashing to get back to?

• Like 1

He removed the tweet and tweeted an apology. Time to move on. You will never win over some people. So it's not worth trying. Don't we have some Hop bashing to get back to?

Yep! The more people talk about this boob on facebook the more it's trending. Stop making stupid people famous.

• Like 1

It's also not the first time Jim Rome has blasted band kids, calling them nerds and such, faced a big backlash, and then publicly backtracked afterwards. So he's just doing what he does. Say stupid things, get people to react, and then cash a check.

Didn't his show on CBS recently get cancelled? I thought it was finished at the end of April.

Just going to add this...

Back in my band days, I remember some sections showing their own brand of "machismo" within the band. It's interesting when someone outside of the activity starts the "macho" attitude when I think it exists on it's own within the activity.

Similar to the government employee's we pay. Screw up and either move up or relocate to another G job.

Insult to myself noted......

Two things happening here:

1. Offensive tweet.

2. OP's proposed solution

I haven't even seen #1, so here's my thoughts on #2...

While I'd love to see it on CBS because I'd enjoy watching it live on TV, you know what much of the non-marching arts audience would say if they were to see DCI on CBS?

"Wow, those band geeks/dorks (choose your pejorative) are pretty good." (Flips channel after 5 seconds.)

It's just not in CBS best business interest to do it, and considering past results (or lack thereof) with putting it on a network, I'm not even sure it'd be in DCI's.

Could someone link or quote the offending tweet?

While the tweet was deleted, you can still find it all over the web, for instance in this article at the Washington Post.

And while this petition will of course go nowhere, DCI was absolutely right to make the most of this opportunity.