Pit Location

First let me say. I DO NOT mean this as a "ANTI / hate or anything post.

I was wondering why the Pit has to be in front of the Field Show? In Orchestra the Percussion things are in the BACK of most all instruments. Yet on Broadway and Los Vegas the pit is in the FRONT. with all instruments, and yes again even there the Percussion things in the back of that. Then even POP, Rock, Etc. There is the Percussion is to the rear of them.

I do not go when I can because I almost always have to sit on the Field level or at best the Front row and See Very Little or Hear the Corps (or any at all. Just the Pit. (I am handicapped and use a wheel chair)

Since almost all Pit instruments and are Electronic/miked. why does it have to be IN FRONT?

The simple answer is timing. If they were in the back of the field, you'd have a bunch of brass/battery instruments trying to figure out how to read time from a bunch of mallet instruments playing complex four mallet accompaniment. If they were off to the sides, you'd introduce a whole heap of difficulties, particularly if the marching members are staged on the other side of the field.

From an acoustic perspective, the goal is to have the mics as reinforcement, not as sound replacement. As much acoustic sound should reach the box as possible. That becomes incredibly difficult when you start to move naturally quieter, non-directional instruments farther back on the field. You'll get a lot more processed sound in the box, and a lot less actual acoustic sound.

The general nature of our activity means that something is going to be poorly balanced for some seats somewhere. Its unfortunate that you end up in that position. I do know that there are some stadiums that have handicapped seating in the mezzanine level. Not sure where you live, or what shows you typically try to attend, but some of the regionals definitely have that seating available (Atlanta comes to mind). I know the stadium at the high school where I teach has its handicapped seating at the top of the stands rather than at the bottom.

I can sympathize with your situation. Sitting at field level can be a rough situation. I spend a lot shows there every summer, and it is difficult to get a read on the show down there. I hope you're able to seek out some shows that have a better situation for handicapped seating.

• Like 1

First let me say. I DO NOT mean this as a "ANTI / hate or anything post.

I was wondering why the Pit has to be in front of the Field Show? In Orchestra the Percussion things are in the BACK of most all instruments. Yet on Broadway and Los Vegas the pit is in the FRONT. with all instruments, and yes again even there the Percussion things in the back of that. Then even POP, Rock, Etc. There is the Percussion is to the rear of them.

I do not go when I can because I almost always have to sit on the Field level or at best the Front row and See Very Little or Hear the Corps (or any at all. Just the Pit. (I am handicapped and use a wheel chair)

Since almost all Pit instruments and are Electronic/miked. why does it have to be IN FRONT?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

As a front ensemble member, the main answer is the volume thing mentioned above. Timing is already weird for us compared to the rest of the group. The main reason though is to ensure that the most natural sound possible reaches the judges and the audience. You want to bolster your sound with the mic'ing, not rely on it.

Corps have occasionally placed the pit on the field, even before there were microphones (and I think marching bands do it more often)--Phantom Regiment in '93 (or was it '94? or both?), and Reading Buccaneers just last year, but I can't remember a drum corps having the pit at the back of the field.

Corps have occasionally placed the pit on the field, even before there were microphones (and I think marching bands do it more often)--Phantom Regiment in '93 (or was it '94? or both?), and Reading Buccaneers just last year, but I can't remember a drum corps having the pit at the back of the field.

and it can be an ensemble nightmare. most pit performers have been up front since they started. change their position, and man the listening responsibilities multiply. And then to try and teach brass and percussion to listen back...wow. and trying to listen side to side is a logistical cluster that should have designers shot for thinking of it

and it can be an ensemble nightmare. most pit performers have been up front since they started. change their position, and man the listening responsibilities multiply. And then to try and teach brass and percussion to listen back...wow. and trying to listen side to side is a logistical cluster that should have designers shot for thinking of it

With a small group, it's actually not as hard as you'd think, and in some cases, far superior to having the pit up front. With amplification now legal, I hope we see some smaller Class A corps give it a shot. Some of the most musical small marching bands I've ever seen had the pit percussion in the back.

For larger or full-sized bands/corps, I agree the cons far outweigh any pros. Even Reading didn't have the pit behind the corps proper, just about 10-15 yards or so out onto the field (to create the empty stage in front).

Edited by Kamarag

With a small group, it's actually not as hard as you'd think, and in some cases, far superior to having the pit up front. With amplification now legal, I hope we see some smaller Class A corps give it a shot. Some of the most musical small marching bands I've ever seen had the pit percussion in the back.

For larger or full-sized bands/corps, I agree the cons far outweigh any pros. Even Reading didn't have the pit behind the corps proper, just about 10-15 yards or so out onto the field (to create the empty stage in front).

True, with a smaller band, front ensemble in the back of the field can work. High school bands don't typically play books with the level of complexity of a drum corps. I still contend that it doesn't sound as good, as you lose all of the acoustic sound. I also would add the comment that from a timing perspective, you'd almost have to have no battery. Not that that's a problem, just that having a battery out on the field and the front behind them makes for a pretty difficult job in terms of cleaning the ensemble.

And it took all year for Bucs, with that talent and staff to pull it off.

I've done the small band version, and it almost made me commit hari Kari