The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

<Thats really all drum corps shows are...a few moments strung together. Personally, thats why I think that soundtracks work so well in marching band/drum corps>

This is, in one simple sentence, what separates a lot of the current crop of drum corps fans from some of the older ones. I could not disagree more with the position it represents. Yet for most of drum corps history that's been the pattern. My favorite shows are almost always ones that present some kind of unified musical message. To me, 10-12 minutes is ONE piece - one moment...not 3-12 moments. For that reason, I cared little for the Crown show that was nothing but endings that they did a couple of years ago. I also disliked the 60s and 70s shows that would play 1 minute of Mahler 7, then go right into some Maynard tune, only to shudder over into Calypso.

Even though a film score is composed by one person, that does not mean the music will fit together. Many film composers are tasked with writing rather bland music that will prop up the scene without being too good. How fortunate we are that Williams and a few other composers have been able to rise above to muzak-like plateau of the usual Hollywood fare. But even then, a Williams show would suffer from the extreme familiarity of the music. The audience would be continually comparing the music in the drum corps setting to the many film viewings - a high hurdle for any corps.

The best shows (imo...as always...) take music and create a new art - a music and visual treat that stands alone: drum corps. Godfather, Spin Cycle, the '01 Cadets show, SCV 04, Phantom 93, 96 and 08, 93 Star, and many more have accomplished this. But many more have not...

Well put. I agree with what you said, but as you also added, the idea of a few big moments within a show as opposed to one unified theme is definitely the running trend. I think it depends on the show...I enjoy both methods of communication.

I was just thinking that Neil Diamond's Johnathan Livingston Seagull could translate beautifully to the field...I searched Corpsreps and saw nothing. Has this ever been done? I'm thinking Carolina Crown could do wonderful things with this...

Thats really all drum corps shows are...a few moments strung together. Personally, thats why I think that soundtracks work so well in marching band/drum corps

Not only that but the music for movie soundtracks are suppose to accomodate what is going on visually which in drum corps is also suppose to happen.

Every time that I hear Rush's 'Natural Science', I always would like to hear a corp do it. It's more than likely outdated by today's standards but I still think it would sound great.

YEEEEEEEEEEES! :rolleyes:

Not only that but the music for movie soundtracks are suppose to accomodate what is going on visually which in drum corps is also suppose to happen.

I think it's supposed to be a bit more reciprocal than that. But yeah, what you said is the way DCI is going right now.

I think Dream Theater's Six Degrees if Inner Turbulence would be a great combination of a consistant theme with music that has multiple high points. Math Rock would work well I think.

I think Dream Theater's Six Degrees if Inner Turbulence would be a great combination of a consistant theme with music that has multiple high points. Math Rock would work well I think.

That has some possibilities. I used "War Inside My Head" for part of an MB show about dreams a few years ago. Also, didn't Teal Sound do a DT show this decade?