The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I've been thinking lately, "Pure Imagination" from the original Willy Wonka has some potential--could be integrated kind of like how Cavies used "Nature Boy" in 2011.

"Pure Imagination", according to CorpsReps, has been performed by five corps before, most notably by Southwind in 2005 (16th place) and Jersey Surf in 2012 (20th place). This year, "Pure Imagination" is the title of the show by Genesis, the corps who took third place in Open Class last year; besides music from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, their show is going to feature music from The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins.

I hope they don't "integrate" the original recording into their show as the '11 Cavaliers did with David Bowie, since that resulted in the cuts in the CDs and DVDs due to licensing restrictions.

I've been thinking lately, Pure Imagination from the original Willy Wonka has some potential... could be integrated kind of like how Cavies used Nature Boy in 2011.

HEre are a couple of good versions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ApySWpfJyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87k45xzJuAg

It would be great, but just wanted to point out that it has been performed many times already if that matters to you....

It was done by Impulse in 2003:

Capital Regiment 1999: Go to the minute mark for that snippet...

Southwind 2005

Surf 2012

Of course we can not make it out on any of these clips except for the Surf clip.

Edited by jjeffeory

It would be great, but just wanted to point out that it has been performed many times already if that matters to you....

I hate to be 'that guy', but I wanna see a top 12 corps take on it...

Edited by How_Will_It_End?

I hate to be 'that guy', but I wanna see a top 12 corps take on it...

Hehe.

I would too, but I'm not sure a top 12 corps would take it on. :cool:

Actually, I'd like to see a top 5 corps' take on it cause that would be even better.

Fortunately, we've got 5 versions to tide us over until one of the corps you would like to hear it from decides to play it.

My personal favorite versions are Southwinds 16th (80.95) place version and then Jersey Surf's more straight forward take in 2012.

Southwind's show was pretty great musically and you should check that one out for sure...

Edited by jjeffeory

I hate to be "that guy", but I wanna see a top-twelve corps take on it.

Heh. Genesis is surely a lock to make the top twelve this year ... in Open Class.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump

I want to hear SCV or Bluecoats play chendalier by Sia in a slower dramatic way, that would be amazing. :)

• Like 1

I offered a couple Phantom Regiment ideas on the "next year's shows" thread. I've long been championing Sibelius.

In a Summer Garden

Symphony No. 1 - Sibelius

In a Summer Garden/Walk to the Paradise Garden - Delius

Symphony No. 5 - Sibelius

Enigma

Symphony I, mvmt IV and In the South - Elgar

Cello Concerto, mvmt III - Elgar

Enigma Variations 2 and 4 - Elgar

Symphony 1, mvmt IV and Enigma Variations 13 and 14 - Elgar

• Like 3