93 Star vs. 88 Madison

93 Star vs. 88 Madison  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you prefer, 93 Star or 88 Madison

As much as the testosterone from Madison in '88 powered a great performance, the demand on the performer was greater in '93 Star whom I was surprised did not get a higher score over Cadets. I too saw both performances of '88 Madison and '93 Star live at championships and several times that season.

The fear of the Star's design, particularly young JVdK's visual program, wrought panic among most corps' administrators that this was where the activity would be headed if Star won. Questionable percussion scores earlier in the week further handicapped the whole Jackson championships. The activity went the way of Star '93 anyway even though they didn't get the placement they deserved. Their legacy looms larger than a name on a trophy.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3

Star 93 had excellence and depth and I recall were not loved by the crowd. Madison 88 won as all the Stars lined up for them. Emotional power and huge crowd appeal. I think the judging was also an Olympic style got that one year and crowd appeal was certainly influential.

As much as the testosterone from Madison in '88 powered a great performance, the demand on the performer was greater in '93 Star whom I was surprised did not get a higher score over Cadets. I too saw both performances of '88 Madison and '93 Star live at championships and several times that season.

The fear of the Star's design, particularly young JVdK's visual program, wrought panic among most corps' administrators that this was where the activity would be headed if Star won. Questionable percussion scores earlier in the week further handicapped the whole Jackson championships. The activity went the way of Star '93 anyway even though they didn't get the placement they deserved. Their legacy looms larger than a name on a trophy.

Star had the body movement and plenty of other visual demand, but they were not alone that year. Cadets had equal if not more demand. Phantom and BD had real tough books that year too.

I remember 1988 so clearly. The year of strange and secrete judging. That year I went to more drum corps shows (23) Than any year. (without marching, volunteering or working with a corps.)

The Blue Devils- Awesome! Undefeated until finals Exciting from beginning to end!( My favorite BD show ever!) Ironically they were chided for Parking and Blowing ( odd by today's standards) Going into finals, most people thought they were the favorites.

The Cadets- Coming off of a championship season with another great show. (I'm still trying to find a video of their marching warm up) I remember seeing them go from a 92 to a 90 overnight and going from an 89 to a 92 overnight, in one week! But, They had a show that could win!

The Vanguard- I remember Santa Clara and that classic Phantom show creeping up and getting better during the season. SCV had to be the crowds favorite. Most people in my circle thought they would win!,

Star of Indiana- Everyone thought how could such a young corps be so good but, we saw the same from the Blue Devils of the mid to late 70's. We took notice when Star beat The Cadets at DCI East.

Madison Scouts- Madison was Madison! In your face, Powerful, Dynamic and Entertaining! But nobody thought they would win. The judges sure didn't! Going into finals they were 2 points behind Star, Phantom and Garfield, a point behind BD and Cavaliers and the hadn't beat Vanguard all year!

Then the magic happened!- Or was it smoke and mirrors? Prelim scores were not announced and Finals placements were given in random order. Sky Ryders were 5 points behind Dutch Boy (look it up newbies) and 3 points behind Crossmen and Freelancers two days before prelims and Voila! Sky Ryders make finals in their home state! Oh and Madison won the Championship.

The two can't be compared in my opinion, so I can't vote. They're far too different in concept, design, and execution.

Just the same as I can't compare a symphony by Beethoven with that of Leonard Bernstein, they're completely different.

It is amusing how many people anoint Star 1993 now, which I have loved since I saw it at DCM Championships, yet so many loathed it and would walk out before it was performed that season.

I remember 1988 so clearly. The year of strange and secrete judging. That year I went to more drum corps shows (23) Than any year. (without marching, volunteering or working with a corps.)

The Blue Devils- Awesome! Undefeated until finals Exciting from beginning to end!( My favorite BD show ever!) Ironically they were chided for Parking and Blowing ( odd by today's standards) Going into finals, most people thought they were the favorites.

The Cadets- Coming off of a championship season with another great show. (I'm still trying to find a video of their marching warm up) I remember seeing them go from a 92 to a 90 overnight and going from an 89 to a 92 overnight, in one week! But, They had a show that could win!

The Vanguard- I remember Santa Clara and that classic Phantom show creeping up and getting better during the season. SCV had to be the crowds favorite. Most people in my circle thought they would win!,

Star of Indiana- Everyone thought how could such a young corps be so good but, we saw the same from the Blue Devils of the mid to late 70's. We took notice when Star beat The Cadets at DCI East.

Madison Scouts- Madison was Madison! In your face, Powerful, Dynamic and Entertaining! But nobody thought they would win. The judges sure didn't! Going into finals they were 2 points behind Star, Phantom and Garfield, a point behind BD and Cavaliers and the hadn't beat Vanguard all year!

Then the magic happened!- Or was it smoke and mirrors? Prelim scores were not announced and Finals placements were given in random order. Sky Ryders were 5 points behind Dutch Boy (look it up newbies) and 3 points behind Crossmen and Freelancers two days before prelims and Voila! Sky Ryders make finals in their home state! Oh and Madison won the Championship.

You're close....

BD's first lost was semifinals (not Finals) by over a point to Madison (clearly the best on Friday night). Garfield faced Madison just once that year before KC and won by 0.1. "Going into finals," they were not 2 points behind Star, PR, Garfield. They were 0.5 behind SCV by that point. 1988 was the first of 2 years of a failed judging system to save $. No one will convince me that Madison would have won under the current mathematical judging system---and I'll die believing Phantom Regiment would have beaten 1989 SCV today (given the less weight to overall drums and more to music ensemble). But what's done is done. Both were popular winners.

Star had the body movement and plenty of other visual demand, but they were not alone that year. Cadets had equal if not more demand. Phantom and BD had real tough books that year too.

I am well aware of Cadets' program that year; Jackson was my last full tour with them. The percussion debacle, fostered by a Cadet alum on that panel, has too discolored my lenses to see it otherwise than the political imposition on a number of quality programs. I stick with my statement.

Edited by xandandl

I was privileged to see both shows live. To me, the answer to the question is simple... I prefer the 1988 Madison Scouts show to the 1993 Star of Indiana show.

As we sit here in 2015 and reflect on it all, it's easy to see how 1993 Star was clearly more influential, intellectual, etc., all of which I can appreciate, and I believe credit should be given for what the show has achieved long-term. Having said that, I don't appreciate 1993 Star for it's impact back in 1993. In fact, as many would agree, it's impact back then was quite unappreciated. Today, I see its relevance being associated with transformation of the activity... which runs the gamut of good, bad or indifferent, depending upon the person.

Bottom line, I choose Madison because of what it afforded me back then... in real time... and what it does for me today. The show was designed for a specific purpose, and to me that purpose was achieved in 1988 and it continues to deliver today. My opinion is based purely upon design, performance achievement, and the somewhat obvious effect that the design and performance had on the vast majority of those experiencing it live.

Similar to Star Wars - Episode IV "A New Hope," the movie was great then, and it still is.

Today, when I discuss and describe drum corps as an exciting, entertaining, emotionally spectacular musical genre, to me, an accurate reference and example would be the 1988 Madison Scouts (among others). There isn't much need for in-depth analysis of that program to understand how the above adjectives apply.

When I discuss or describe programs that fall in the vein of 1993 Star, those adjectives would be more along the lines of innovative, intellectual, provocative, emotionally dark, sophisticated, etc. To me, that show example (though appreciated for what it is) is a different discussion.

For me, Star 1993 was not what I was looking for in 1993, and thus, it didn't do much for me. I appreciate it now mostly for it's influence factor and the mystique that surrounds Star's lasting legacy. Had Star stayed, there would likely have been similar shows (and championship trophies), and 1993 would be a defining reference point overshadowed by what was achieved by Star subsequent to that production.

• Like 1

Scouts. Just a fun exciting show from start to finish. Star 93 was boring then and it's still boring now.