When was the last time this was discussed?

Looks like I hit a nerve.

Which corps have publicly said "Come see us warm up" ?

Well, if you want the literal truth, the following seven corps -

Blue Devils

Carolina Crown

Cadets

Cavaliers

Santa Clara Vanguard

Bluecoats

Phantom Regiment

- quite literally advocated for that with their talk of reformatting events with interactive warmup zones in the G7 proposal. I think when they started in that direction in the TOC shows and began to experience it from the early-corps perspective, their interest in that idea faded.

But that is not what I meant. I used the word "if" - importantly - because the intent is not clear. It would be if anyone who speaks officially on behalf of a late-performing corps would just look at their watch, tell the lot audience "it is 7:30; the real show is in there (pointing toward stadium) now", stop throwing down lot licks and go into simple show prep mode. Instead, we get lot DVDs; material performed in the lot that is not suitable for a show site warmup area, with sounds bleeding over into the stadium to interfere with the competitive performances; down-to-the-minute schedules guiding fans to where/when corps A will be throughout the evening; a barrage of Facebook posts, tweeting and Instagramming beckoning for non-stop attention; and no remorse. Maybe corps A does not openly solicit fans to pass up corps B performing on the field - but they are quick to point out any early empty seats and claim credit if they fill in later.

Sounds to me like you're just complaining that some corps actively promote themselves to fans and some do not. And those that do seem to get more attention. SHOCKING!

I have no problem with corps promoting themselves, as long as it is not at the expense of others. Where to draw that line may be tricky at times... but you do not see the Jets telling fans to stop watching the Giants, or the White Sox staging special events just outside Wrigley Field during Cubs games.

So DCP thinks that because fans aren't watching some early corps, we should try to MAKE THEM go watch those corps by making the warm up areas off-limits.

How you got that idea from one post of mine, I will never know.

- When I post "I prefer... ", that does not mean anyone else (much less all of DCP) shares that view.

- I posted "I prefer... " because that is what I prefer. As a performer, I do not want hordes of people crowding through my warmup area, and have to worry about equipment getting trampled instead of focusing on the upcoming performance. And as a spectator, I do not want to hear corps outside the stadium trying to put on a show of their own, distracting from the show inside the stadium.

- Those things that I prefer will still not force anyone to watch a particular corps. This is a free country; we cannot force people to sit and watch a corps against their will.

I almost always (I think 2 times I've sauntered off to watch a group warm up) stay in the stands to watch the other corps. I went from last place Div. 3 to first place Div. 1 in 3 years and I really appreciate the crowd difference. Also, I know that the kids work just as hard (maybe not as smart... that's a staffing issue) and I want to see their performance too.

I say that to say this: as an educator (not a fan), I'd rather watch a full day of rehearsal or a lot warm-up than a full show. I want to learn from these amazing groups and copy their successful practices. The performance is important... but how you get there is too.

So yes, sell that DVD of your lot and rehearsal technique. I'll buy it. :-P

• Like 1

I would even go as far as to say the same about practice at the host schools during the day of the show. It would be pretty straightforward to limit access to practice sites in order to charge a fee to watch practices. Certainly run-throughs (usually late in the day before EPL to the show stadium) are a perfect opportunity to charge for stadium access.

Sure. Some already do this - they call it a "clinic".

Uhhh... That's a real distortion of what's been discussed. I'm not aware of anyone advocating "making" anyone do anything.

My take on the discussion is: How can everyone (corps, fans, DCI, etc.) benefit from "the lot" aspect of the contest environment and overall experience?

Not that everyone here should be agreeing with every idea that's offered, but does there always have to be a wet blanket thrown out? The point is, what can be done to enhance things across the board? Surely, you must have some ideas of your own? If you were the king of the world, is there anything that you would "tweak" for the better?

On another note...

Maybe tossing in some cheesy (or valuable) incentives (i.e. fan freebies or giveaways), exclusively for those in attendance during the first half of a contest could motivate some people to get to the stadium sooner?

no.

it's not.

I would prefer instead that the warmup areas be kept private and reserved for performance preparation.

warmup off-limits to encourage fans to watch the earlier performing corps instead of watching activities in the lot.

i don't make this stuff up -- people post it.

I would even go as far as to say the same about practice at the host schools during the day of the show. It would be pretty straightforward to limit access to practice sites in order to charge a fee to watch practices. Certainly run-throughs (usually late in the day before EPL to the show stadium) are a perfect opportunity to charge for stadium access.

Though I would hope they comp the members of the local marching band, or we're right back to the other thread ... what benefit is the school getting out of all of this?

Looks like I hit a nerve.

You sure did -- my anti-idiocy nerve.

Pretty funny how the rest of your post is one giant back-pedal.

I challenge you (again) to show a single public message where a corps encourages it's fans to ignore the corps in the stadium and stay in the lot. Seriously. Please post it.

Uhhh... That's a real distortion of what's been discussed. I'm not aware of anyone advocating "making" anyone do anything.

My take on the discussion is: How can everyone (corps, fans, DCI, etc.) benefit from "the lot" aspect of the contest environment and overall experience?

Not that everyone here should be agreeing with every idea that's offered, but does there always have to be a wet blanket thrown out? The point is, what can be done to enhance things across the board? Surely, you must have some ideas of your own? If you were the king of the world, is there anything that you would "tweak" for the better?

On another note...

Maybe tossing in some cheesy (or valuable) incentives (i.e. fan freebies or giveaways), exclusively for those in attendance during the first half of a contest could motivate some people to get to the stadium sooner?

To get back to the rest of this...

Let's try to actually address causes instead of regulate behavior.

Percussion guys are probably a lost cause. (actually a good portion DO buy tix and go in late)

FMMs -- they just want to recapture the feeling and inhale diesel. Again -- a lost cause. (probably dont buy tix but cant afford to either)

Parents - again a lost cause. (and they buy tickets)

The vaporous elitist. Meh who cares. There's really not many of them out there in the lot. They're probably eating dinner or tail gating or whatever. BUT...they all buy tix too.

So exactly what are we trying to fix in the lot?

no.

it's not.

warmup off-limits to encourage fans to watch the earlier performing corps instead of watching activities in the lot.

i don't make this stuff up -- people post it.

While I have a personal opinion, I surely wouldn't stop someone from standing in the lot all night and ignoring the earlier shows.

I just want to charge a ticket price for the privilege.

So long as they buy a ticket, a fan can wander anywhere around the stadium that they choose.

I see nothing at all wrong with charging a fee to witness warm-ups up close. Say $5 a ticket would be a good starting point with increases likely as demand is determined.

So a tax payer from that town/city tells the volunteer they are not going to pay the fee, what do they do? Call the local LEO? It's town/city property with probably no "do not trespass" signs posted.

So a tax payer from that town/city tells the volunteer they are not going to pay the fee, what do they do? Call the local LEO? It's town/city property with probably no "do not trespass" signs posted.

It may be public property but it is leased out for a fee to DCI for the night under the auspices that a fee would be charged for admittance to the show.

"Warm Up Lot Not Open To The Public"

Ticket is required. Purchase at ticket booth."

Corpsband: It's the "free" part of the lot that needs fixed. To the extent that dissuades fans from missing the opening corps, the better.