Very Interesting . . . Reviewing Corps Websites

More talking, less music - I can't wait.:(

I'm pretty sure singing is music. Unless I've been lied to my whole life.

• Like 1

IMO the problem with bringing in performing arts from outside traditional drum corps is that the corps don't do it right, so it ends up not being anywhere near as impressive or professional as the rest of the corps. Acting is often a prime example of this.

So, sure you can get a "regular" corps member to do the extra duties but only if that corps member happens to be very talented in that other skill. This, however, is quite possible because many of these kids are multi-talented. Crown does a great job with this, because they do it right.

What happens too often is that a corps wants to be innovative and so incorporates singing or acting, but doesn't feel the need either to ensure that the kid has real skills (as much as the rest of the corps) or fails to bring in a comparably skilled instructor. The result can be something that leaves audiences with a far reduced assessment of the caliber of the entire show. You need excellent students AND excellent staff in every area that the audience will focus on.

However, it sounds like Bloo are at least trying to ensure these kids are actually talented, and if they get professional training all summer long too then I think I'll probably be pleased at the result. Go Bloo!

Trying to get an idea of what corps' maybe doing this year since not all have announced--(copyright issues, and just the general "make em wait" attitude to build the suspense.) So I browsed the websites.

I am very intrigued about what the Colts have up their sleeve for this summer. Next weekend is their last audition camp -- get this -- for singers and drama students.

Ooooh what does the corps from Iowa have cooking in the midwest this winter?

"Wicked"? "The Wiz"?

Who knows, but enquiring minds like mine want to know.

Andy

Hope is a good thing.

One of these years (I predict) some corps is going to have small battery (in pit) & a small (~14; mic'd) brass in pit (pit with the current instrumentation) only and have huge 'guard' on field. 'Tis a lot easier to clean the music when players are not moving; only the members coming from a 'movement' (dance, acting) background move. And this will be within the rule changes of the last 10-15 years.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

IMO the problem with bringing in performing arts from outside traditional drum corps is that the corps don't do it right, so it ends up not being anywhere near as impressive or professional as the rest of the corps. Acting is often a prime example of this.

So, sure you can get a "regular" corps member to do the extra duties but only if that corps member happens to be very talented in that other skill. This, however, is quite possible because many of these kids are multi-talented. Crown does a great job with this, because they do it right.

Star, with their circus show, might be an exception. The experienced juggler, uni cycle rider, etc. they brought on was able to teach a current mm to juggle so they could do it together as well as individually. At least that's how I heard the story.

I'm pretty sure singing is music. Unless I've been lied to my whole life.

That depends on the individual who is doing the singing.

• Like 2

Star, with their circus show, might be an exception. The experienced juggler, uni cycle rider, etc. they brought on was able to teach a current mm to juggle so they could do it together as well as individually. At least that's how I heard the story.

Off-topic: I've wondered why color guards don't use juggling as a core skill. Not necessarily to put in the show, but as an exercise. It can be done indoors pretty much anywhere, so if a guard member can do five minutes on getting up each morning and five minutes before bed, that's several hundred tosses, maybe a thousand! Sure, they're not the same as the big tosses, but neurologically there must be some overlap. Maybe?