New Judges...Comments?

Hey...thought this topic was about new judges coming in to the activity...somehow it has turned into a "Beth" rehashing!!!

• Like 1

Seriously, size is such a nonissue with this thread. She also got flack because she had Cadets over Crown in brass at one show.

In this one thread there are complaints about judges slotting and complaints about judges not slotting...pretty typical.

For proper perspective , in terms of sheer numbers of negative complaints on choice of uniform , Crown in 2013 got FAR more complaints and far more hostile words on uniforms that was said and written after the unveiling of their uniforms for 2013 than judge Beth Fabrizio did on here regarding her umprofessional choice of work uniform for ONE show last season. What seems overblown to me is the degree of hostility generated toward a few fans in a one time criticism of a single bad choice of unprofessional attire worn by a judge.,.. Female or Male . As pointed out, for whatever reason, Ms Fabrizio changed her ways and dressed more appropriately and professionally in subsequent judging assignments and ithat fact was ALSO NOTED AND POSITIVELY COMMENTED ON DCP ... And stated as such by some of the very same posters who originally noticed her unprofessional attire in the early season show. Furthermore, this one time criticism of a female judge 'a attire will have no bearing on whether or not other strong willed confident Women will choose to pursue becoming a judge . To think confident, strong willed Women might be scared off of becoming a DCI judge by what is written and commented about a judge here on DCP is just silly, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

2 years ago I was asked to judge a local winter guard show. I declined because the sheets may have changed even though my rank and rate was good ever long ago? and my tapes were fine but critique not so good.

I could never be a drum corps judge because I'm old and female, even though I walked the talk and can be objective. The best thing about winter guard judging was that you could sit in the stands in street clothes :smile:

if I recall some interesting results happened last year, and it raised some eyebrows.

it's not easy to train judges, I've done it on the local level. I know trainees and I haven't always agreed on rank and rate....my concern was did they give the units good commentary as well as match their number to their words on the recording. If they did, it's ok to disagree.

It seems to a degree, DCi took some ideas from the WGI judging academy, which is where i modeled my training process from after talking with some WGI folks.

Thanks Jeff. Judges are people too.

• Like 1

I am pondering whether new judges will make any difference without changing the triumvirate who have headed judging for too long in my estimation.

I have a general dislike of "mission statements" for organizations as they tend to self-perpetuate in a most limited way, spawning clones rather than others who bring their own gifts of insight and experience to the table. Change becomes an uphill battle; ingenuity and "outside the box" perspectives are rarely welcomed.

Fully realizing that it is the drum corps themselves, (or at least some of them) who determine the rules and their interpretation in the activity, I also acknowledge the power behind the throne which is manipulated by the lobbyists for their own self-fulfillment. I cite Yamaha and the horn makers moving drum corps to three valve Bb horns by simply not making available the G horns of DCI's origins; the percussion adaptions, the influence of WGI, and the similar power plays of the uniform/flag silk/props manufacturers to the financial advantage of some individuals and at a general cost increase to the whole activity.

Listening with a most skeptical ear to what Mr. Philips says, what George Oliviero and Gary Markham have so long directed for both DCI and other marching outlets for which they also trained and directed the judges, and what Michael Cesario both orchestrates and clothes, I am not convinced. Drum corps judging in the contemporary contest is highly subjective, yes, but it is not varied or dialogical.

Yes I mentioned four names. My experience of several decades tells me Mr. Philips follows the preferences of the other three. I am not accusing anyone of misdeeds but just sitting in a room with closed windows and stale air. We suffocate. Lots of new air is needed no matter what numbers are jumbled on different color score sheets if the same folks train, assign, and shepherd the judges.

In this construct of restricted power balances, even with mentors and other figure heads directing the captions, I doubt if any change will be instant, noticeable or varied. It will be an institutional stagnation choosing yes-men/women to become copy-cats to become clones, and maybe eventually to be robots. If the same triumvirate continue to pull the strings it will be the old French saying come anew again:

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

("The more things change, the more they stay the same.)

For the good and future of the activity, I hope I am mistaken and look to be proven wrong this summer.

Edited by xandandl