Other instrumentation for 2015?

For a truly one-of-a-kind utilization of "flexible and diverse" instrumentation, some Corps should be sure to incorporate Matthew Locke's "Musick For His Majesty's Sackbutts and Cornetts (1661)" into their program -- and perform on authentic period instruments. If nothing else, copyright would most certainly be rendered a non-issue.

Let's get some baroque/natural trumpets in there while we're at it.

• Like 1

Let's get some baroque/natural trumpets in there while we're at it.

Now THAT'S the spirit!!!!!

• Like 1

Actually, I've been toying with a show that would use one or more actual bugles. I wonder how the dinos would respond to that ...

Dino here. A G bugle would work great if the corps had some sort of military type "theme". Revelry, taps, lowering of the colors, etc.

SCV used steel drums one season in the early-mid 80s

We used steel drums in the Crossmen during the drum solo in '86. I played one of them.

• Like 1

SCV used steel drums one season in the early-mid 80s

Here is their drum solo from their '83 show https://youtu.be/tIzrFScWUew?t=7m53s

It was an amazing drum solo and so diffferent than what you might expect Vanguard to play back then. But that's the thing about SCV - just when you think you "understand" what they are about they do a 180.

Edit: Wrong timestamp on YouTube video.

Edited by Lincoln

For a truly one-of-a-kind utilization of "flexible and diverse" instrumentation, some Corps should be sure to incorporate Matthew Locke's "Musick For His Majesty's Sackbutts and Cornetts (1661)" into their program -- and perform on authentic period instruments. If nothing else, copyright would most certainly be rendered a non-issue.

Ah yes. I played for the premier in March 1661. Of course, my sackbutt was a lot smaller then...

• Like 1