Dumbest things drum corps peeps told you

Haha. I'm so old I don't think I have a band anymore. That fire doesn't burn as bright as it once did. I now appreciate things in a lot of bands. They're all different and have different things to offer: Ohio State and Wisconsin for their excellence in hazing. Ok just kidding. Ohio State for their precision marching, Wisconsin for their stop-at-the-top marching style, Michigan State's low brass, my school's fight song. Any southern school that plays "neck" haha.

As long as we're veering off MY topic, *my* alma mater once wiped Ohio State out of the room. (Full disclosure: Bachelor's deg from Bowling Green State U & some post-grad work at tOSU.) Anyhoo, both concert bands were featured at the Ohio Music Educators Assoc. convention (in Columbus). tOSU played a noonish concert where the ballroom was half-full, and the performance (closing with Symphonic Metamorphosis) was pretty good. Polite applause was received. Then we "little guys" walked into the ballroom to a SRO crowd. Seriously. They were all there to hear us play "Festival Variations" --- luckily, our DoB was a close friend of Claude Smith as well as Col. Gabriel of the US Air Force Band (at the time, the only band to have ever played it). We had Xerox copies of the original manuscript. (Not to speak ill of the Dead, but Dr. Smith was the Master of Chicken Scratch.) So, we got through Jupiter and the Rob't Jager Concerto, and BAM! Eleven minutes later, we received a 13 minute standing ovation. It's the one time in my life that I felt like a rock star. For the rest of our time there, if anyone recognized us, they beat a path to meet us. An aside: our second chair flute player was a young lady with a cute Appalachian accent named Jennifer Higdon. So, for that one afternoon, we were TBD(Concert)BITL. :tounge2:

As long as we're veering off MY topic, *my* alma mater once wiped Ohio State out of the room. (Full disclosure: Bachelor's deg from Bowling Green State U & some post-grad work at tOSU.) Anyhoo, both concert bands were featured at the Ohio Music Educators Assoc. convention (in Columbus). tOSU played a noonish concert where the ballroom was half-full, and the performance (closing with Symphonic Metamorphosis) was pretty good. Polite applause was received. Then we "little guys" walked into the ballroom to a SRO crowd. Seriously. They were all there to hear us play "Festival Variations" --- luckily, our DoB was a close friend of Claude Smith as well as Col. Gabriel of the US Air Force Band (at the time, the only band to have ever played it). We had Xerox copies of the original manuscript. (Not to speak ill of the Dead, but Dr. Smith was the Master of Chicken Scratch.) So, we got through Jupiter and the Rob't Jager Concerto, and BAM! Eleven minutes later, we received a 13 minute standing ovation. It's the one time in my life that I felt like a rock star. For the rest of our time there, if anyone recognized us, they beat a path to meet us. An aside: our second chair flute player was a young lady with a cute Appalachian accent named Jennifer Higdon. So, for that one afternoon, we were TBD(Concert)BITL. :tounge2:

With TCDSCFPITL.

Doing drum corps is gonna help my resume.

That's not necessarily dumb. I've seen first hand the positive that can come from drum corps as a resume bullet, in my own case one drum corps in particular. I've also seen where certain other drum corps on a resume turned out to be a huge negative for the folks involved.

• Like 1

Or perhaps "Doing drum corps will help my music education resume" should be the correct phrase.

Or maybe even "marching a Finalist corps will help me be a drum/wind/marching tech while I'm in college to earn a little extra money, or while I try to figure out what I really want to do with my life."

• Like 1

" there is no slotting in Drum Corps "

Interestingly, this actually may be true. I actually thought about a way to prove that this exists (Because I thought this was a huge issue for quite some time) and I realized that the most obvious way would be through examining group's growth curves. If slotting exists, certain groups should show slightly unusual growth curves when, as the season goes on, the judges recalibrate their slotting to more closely match reality. What I found was the exact opposite. If you apply a group's typical growth ratio combined with other factors (weekly score derivative curve, strength of competition factor, and of course, spreads) you can almost exactly predict a group's finals score from week 1, and the thing is, their scores day-in and day-out almost all fall extremely close to their predicted values.

The above might seem at first glance like it's proof of slotting until you realize that this means that DCI would have to decide before the season even started who would win and by how much. The only area of the scores that showed minor evidence of slotting was mid pack (Oregon and Crest neighborhood). This also speaks volumes about the quality of judging on the circuit. Almost everyone has the same idea of what warrants a 100, 90, 80 etc. If I need to explain this more, or better, I certainly can!

Edited by gloriousgoo
  • Like 1

Or maybe even "marching a Finalist corps will help me be a drum/wind/marching tech while I'm in college to earn a little extra money, or while I try to figure out what I really want to do with my life."

I can relate to this on so many levels..........

My favorite one I heard at a marching contest in 85+ degree weather, while they are profusely sweating:

"I'm just wearing this jacket to look cool in front of all these kids".

Edited by DrumManTx

Doing drum corps is gonna help my resume.

Drum corps experience is already becoming a requirement or preference on many band openings. Band director friend on the hunt told me he has seen it (and did not apply since he never marched) and a quick Google search confirms this. And it will only become more prevalent as drum corps becomes more accepted by traditional music education. If you hope to become a band director, marching drum corps is a good idea.

• Like 1

Interestingly, this actually may be true. I actually thought about a way to prove that this exists (Because I thought this was a huge issue for quite some time) and I realized that the most obvious way would be through examining group's growth curves. If slotting exists, certain groups should show slightly unusual growth curves when, as the season goes on, the judges recalibrate their slotting to more closely match reality. What I found was the exact opposite. If you apply a group's typical growth ratio combined with other factors (weekly score derivative curve, strength of competition factor, and of course, spreads) you can almost exactly predict a group's finals score from week 1, and the thing is, their scores day-in and day-out almost all fall extremely close to their predicted values.

The above might seem at first glance like it's proof of slotting until you realize that this means that DCI would have to decide before the season even started who would win and by how much. The only area of the scores that showed minor evidence of slotting was mid pack (Oregon and Crest neighborhood). This also speaks volumes about the quality of judging on the circuit. Almost everyone has the same idea of what warrants a 100, 90, 80 etc. If I need to explain this more, or better, I certainly can!

Your argument intrigues me (then again, I've always taken a rather perverse interest in numbers...so that might at least partially explain it). If I may be so bold...PLEASE feel free to pm me at your leisure with your finer details. Rest assured, I will give it multiple readings. As I stated, I'm intrigued.

And by the way...have you given thought to doing what you posted above (in boldened print) for the upcoming season, and posting your post-week 1 finals placement/score predictions here? It would certainly be interesting to follow up on the research and testing your hypothesis. Speaking only for myself, I would find such to be very fascinating...even if it meant your reservation of a thread solely to this topic (much like what we have with the "2015 Programs and Playlist"). Depending upon how involved you become and how much work you wish to do, you could even provide weekly predicted value reports (since you also pointed out the hypothesis that such predictions, according to your research, can be accomplished fairly closely on a day-in and day-out basis.) I would be most happy to assist you should such be either desired or necessary.

"Give me Geekity, or give me death!!!" :colgate:

Edited by HornTeacher

I have done something like that over on the BOA forums before, and I think the best way to do this would be to do a thread that gets routinely updated so that people can see the increased accuracy as the season goes on. Also, keep in mind that this would be my first time running this for DCI where I don't know the end results, so it may prove that the coefficients applied to the different parts of the formula may be only retroactively true because I knew how to manipulate them. That being said, the BOA one correctly predicted 33 of 34 semi finalists and all 12 finalists so this may not be as uncertain as I think. I also may be marching this summer so that would throw a wrench in things. I'll gladly shoot you a pm when I get home!

Drum corps experience is already becoming a requirement or preference on many band openings. Band director friend on the hunt told me he has seen it (and did not apply since he never marched) and a quick Google search confirms this. And it will only become more prevalent as drum corps becomes more accepted by traditional music education. If you hope to become a band director, marching drum corps is a good idea.

I found nothing in a quick google search. Perhaps you could help me focus my search so I can validate your claim? You have my interest piqued. Thanks.