Highlight of finals night

Being on the field performing in Finals was the highlight for me.

Having missed out on that experience myself (I marched in '85 and '86) I can really appreciate that. I can't call it a regret since I wouldn't have marched anywhere else, but I am saddened that I never had that experience. I do feel pride though anytime I see them knowing that without our '86 group persevering through a very difficult year there very well may have not been a Crossmen anymore.

• Like 3

1988 - Malaguena

1990 - Star: low brass hit in Praise Ye opener

1991 - Star's cross-to-cross

1993 - Star: Medea's Dance of Vengeance closer

2000 - The Cadets' quad break

2002 - Cavaliers' fight club

2005 - Cadets' vocal drumbreak

2008 - "I AM SPARTACUS!"

2014 - Bluecoats closer (pitch bend and ramp jumper)

Edited by yutsi

Having missed out on that experience myself (I marched in '85 and '86) I can really appreciate that. I can't call it a regret since I wouldn't have marched anywhere else, but I am saddened that I never had that experience. I do feel pride though anytime I see them knowing that without our '86 group persevering through a very difficult year there very well may have not been a Crossmen anymore.

And I have always appreciated that fact, and understand the history behind those years.

When all else is gone...

I was in the crowd for both the finals performance and the results in 2008. In many ways (especially during the PR performance) it was amazing. In others, it got very ugly—excessively so. People booed BD extremely harshly. The crowd was basically taunting BD from the beginning, and then the roar of the crowd and BD's reaction to it were pretty unfortunate, honestly. I just felt like A LOT of those cheers came at the expense of BD, and not because PR had just won. That's probably an extremely unpopular opinion, but it's how I felt when I was there, and it's how I feel looking back on it.

I know judges are "unbiased" and whatnot, but they clearly were swayed towards Phantom that year, probably almost entirely by the crowd. In an isolated setting without all of that hype and buildup, I'm not even sure if Phantom was the second best corps there.

As far as highlights are concerned, that is certainly the most notable moment for me from an audience's perspective, personally, even if it isn't entirely positive. The biggest highlight I can remember in terms of almost universal popularity is SCV 09 during the Simple Gifts company front. #### was rocking that year.

• Like 3

I was in the crowd for both the finals performance and the results in 2008. In many ways (especially during the PR performance) it was amazing. In others, it got very uglyexcessively so. People booed BD extremely harshly. The crowd was basically taunting BD from the beginning, and then the roar of the crowd and BD's reaction to it were pretty unfortunate, honestly. I just felt like A LOT of those cheers came at the expense of BD, and not because PR had just won. That's probably an extremely unpopular opinion, but it's how I felt when I was there, and it's how I feel looking back on it.

I know judges are "unbiased" and whatnot, but they clearly were swayed towards Phantom that year, probably almost entirely by the crowd. In an isolated setting without all of that hype and buildup, I'm not even sure if Phantom was the second best corps there.

As far as highlights are concerned, that is certainly the most notable moment for me from an audience's perspective, personally, even if it isn't entirely positive. The biggest highlight I can remember in terms of almost universal popularity is SCV 09 during the Simple Gifts company front. #### was rocking that year.

If your opinion is unpopular, as you put it, perhaps it is because having insulted Phantom Regiment, the Blue Devils, the judges, DCI and pretty much the whole crowd, there aren't a lot of other people left for it to be popular with.

• Like 1

If your opinion is unpopular, as you put it, perhaps it is because having insulted Phantom Regiment, the Blue Devils, the judges, DCI and pretty much the whole crowd, there aren't a lot of other people left for it to be popular with.

I don't believe I did any of those. I probably gave it to Phantom the hardest, which is probably why you're being kind of whiny about it.

BD was technically fantastic that year and should have won, as they had been doing all year. They reacted emotionally to having that trophy snatched from under their fingers, which is hardly their fault. If their sticks had ticked about ten notes fewer, they would have won.

Phantom put on a good show. Very theatric. Obviously a crowd pleaser. They didn't march nearly as well as BD and their brass was iffy, especially at the end.

The fans (myself included) fell for the theatrics. We ate it up. Blood was spilling everywhere on the field (so to speak), and it was as if it was soaking into the atmosphere of the crowd. There was almost a palpable level of tension and metaphorical blood lust in the air when Phantom finished, BD came on, and when awards started.

And if it does seem like I insulted the judges, it's because I used to march and I disagree with them frequently. They're not gods, and they are subject to anyone's critique. The percussion judge that night, in particular, was very disagreeable. BD's line wasn't as clean as Phantom's, but they shouldn't have been separated by a margin of .85, either. Phantom's score increased by a ridiculous roughly 1.5 points to BD's roughly .7 points in two days. BD's percussion score alone went down from 29.05 to 28.9 from semis to finals, while Phantom jumped from 29.425 to 29.625. The disparity between semis Phantom to finals Phantom and semis BD to finals BD was nowhere NEARLY that pronounced, even in percussion. I was there both nights. That's just not how it should have been scored.

That's one judge away from everything being flipped over.

Edited by FuriousSoundbyte
  • Like 1

I don't believe I did any of those. I probably gave it to Phantom the hardest, which is probably why you're being kind of whiny about it.

BD was technically fantastic that year and should have won, as they had been doing all year. They reacted emotionally to having that trophy snatched from under their fingers, which is hardly their fault. If their sticks had ticked about ten notes fewer, they would have won.

Phantom put on a good show. Very theatric. Obviously a crowd pleaser. They didn't march nearly as well as BD and their brass was iffy, especially at the end.

The fans (myself included) fell for the theatrics. We ate it up. Blood was spilling everywhere on the field (so to speak), and it was as if it was soaking into the atmosphere of the crowd. There was almost a palpable level of tension and metaphorical blood lust in the air when Phantom finished, BD came on, and when awards started.

And if it does seem like I insulted the judges, it's because I used to march and I disagree with them frequently. They're not gods, and they are subject to anyone's critique. The percussion judge that night, in particular, was very disagreeable. BD's line wasn't as clean as Phantom's, but they shouldn't have been separated by a margin of .85, either. Phantom's score increased by a ridiculous roughly 1.5 points to BD's roughly .7 points in two days. BD's percussion score alone went down from 29.05 to 28.9 from semis to finals, while Phantom jumped from 29.425 to 29.625. The disparity between semis Phantom to finals Phantom and semis BD to finals BD was nowhere NEARLY that pronounced, even in percussion. I was there both nights. That's just not how it should have been scored.

That's one judge away from everything being flipped o

Your opinion. I was there too. Phantom won, and they should have. To borrow from your over-the-top snootiness, BD's percussion was a hot mess. Phantom had just enough brass and guard to take the title. There was no one on the grassy knoll that night. The fix wasn't in. It wasn't a conspiracy. Sorry.

I knew this was coming =(

Well, things generally go better when you respect the views of other posters and refrain from trashing corps. You can do that, and still have a great time here and voice your opinions.