Highlight of finals night

When the corps and the crowd are in it together, that's just the best.

Maybe to paraphrase Lombardi..."It's not the greatest thing...it's the ONLY thing."

1990. I was fortunate enough to be there live (an unexpected joy for me that year). For those who weren't there, but have seen Star's Belshazzar's on DVD or Youtube...the recording doesn't do it anywhere near the justice it deserves. Even from the Upper Deck, there was a flash and sparkle visually, and a resounding sound that isn't to be believed. I sat stupefied...nothing else that evening even remotely comes close.

When first viewed on FN, it was weird seeing only five snares.

• Like 1

Taking a slightly different tack...

Future finals night..."Old-Skool" ending...One of the "super" brass lines (Carolina, maybe?)...company front, stretched goal line to goal line at extreme backfield...slowly advancing to stands with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yaxVYNGaUU

(music begins about 0:27)

98 Crown, probably...according to CorpsReps, Crown was the only top 12 corps to play it.

Honestly, I think BD should've won in 08 but lost in 09. But I'm probably in the minority.

• Like 1

When first viewed on FN, it was weird seeing only five snares.

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't looking that "in-depth"...and I totally missed it at the time. Serves me right...I should have been more observant and/or cognizant. But as to the final product: I don't think it affected my judgement of the program one iota. I do, however, applaud your awareness. That is why you are a far more well-informed drum corps afficionado than I. And that is meant with all sincerity, with no intended sarcasm whatsoever.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Honestly, I think BD should've won in 08 but lost in 09. But I'm probably in the minority.

Cadets should have won in 07 and Crown in 09. Such overrated BD shows.
  • Like 1

98 Crown, probably...according to CorpsReps, Crown was the only top 12 corps to play it.

I wasn't aware of that, 84BDsop. I should be better at my research. But I still think the contemporary line would provide a very memorable presentation.

(Edit: I just checked out a youtube of Crown 98. Didn't have this selection...but didn't have anywhere near the contemporary Crown "sound," either. So...I'll still sit here and hold onto my dream -- and as described in my earlier post. But thank you for giving me yet another source of which to listen and enjoy.)

Edited by HornTeacher

I do, however, applaud your awareness.

Count von Count has nothing on me! Like others, I've always had a habit (sick one probably) of counting the numbers in the HL, DL, etc When the BAC had around 46 in the guard a few years ago(?),it took a few times to get the number right. I'm the one who buys something and based on what the cost is and the size of the bill I give the cashier, I say what the change will be before they finish punching in the numbers. I really have fun some times when I reach over the register, cover the window, and ask what the change will be. The majority have fun with me about it, but no one knows, even the adults. Owing an ice cream truck for a few years to raise funds for three private HS costs sure teaches one how not to use "no stinking calculator." (When the kids stopped working with us, it was sold.)