Uniforms (or Costumes if you prefer)... Hits or Misses over the years.

Miss (Current....it's very bland)

10671431_10154787230500314_9218727091034

Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I never understood why so many people absolutely love this look on them. I don't necessarily think it's a bad uniform, just wrong in every way for Jersey Surf.

Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I never understood why so many people absolutely love this look on them. I don't necessarily think it's a bad uniform, just wrong in every way for Jersey Surf.

Agreed. I had been away from drum corps for a few years and then came back to some wonderful shows from a lot of corps that were doing boring stuff in the mid-2000s (Scouts, SCV, Spirit, Surf, Troopers). Unfortunately, several of them took a step back in look and show design last year, Surf being one of them.

Academy.

Hit: 2014 or any with this look. This really distinguishes them separate from other corps. I like it.

Academy2014.png

Miss: 2010. Not really a bad look at all but not compared to the newer uniform.

Academy2010.png

Did we do the Freelancers? If not wow that had some nice looks over the years.

Did we do the Freelancers? If not wow that had some nice looks over the years.

Yes, the Freelancers have been done.

But, if it pleases the distinguished members of Drum Corps Planet, I would like to continue this little game with the Oregon Crusaders.

Hit: 2014. A very nice update to an already sleek, distinctive look.

52521328E.jpg

Miss: 2013. I'm really not entirely sure what they were going for with this one. It was an incredible corps, and the show design was fantastic. But I don't think this look really added to it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Next up:

PACIFIC CREST

• Like 2

9461013924_b5f3fc9d5d_b.jpg

Several years ago, Michael Boo had a great piece on dci.org recalling a discussion he had with Dennis DeLucia... and one subject that came up was Bobby Hoffman's original vision for uniforms that eventually was responsible for creating the signature 'Bayonne' look. It's a great read, especially the story of how the hat style came to be. The whole thing can be found here...:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=d278db64-2057-4781-b5d9-c589924090a1

Anyway... back to why this Jersey Surf uni reminded me of the article. This is close to what the Bridgemen 'might' have been. Here's a quick snip of what Hoffman had in mind...:

“So, now we had a long coat and a “pimp” hat. Boots? Gone in favor of shoes. Plume? NO WAY! Instead, we had a brightly colored scarf tied around the brim, with an 18-inch piece hanging down the back. Color? Bobby’s vision now switched from black to pastels; each section of the corps would wear the long coat, but the sopranos would wear lime green, the mid-range pale yellow, the low brass pale blue, the drum line light pink and the guard lavender. (I forget which section was going to wear what color, but the concept I’ve outlined is absolutely accurate.)

“This way, if the sopranos had the lead, it would be a “green” moment; the drum solo would be a “pink” moment, etc. So, he had samples made of the coat in four of the colors, and at the end of a Sunday rehearsal he had four members of the corps go into a back room and put them on. He then told the corps about the concept behind the look, the “attitude” and the show. With baited breath he asked the four “models” to come into the room.

“I thought that we would never get out alive! The reaction to the ideas was one of ready acceptance, but those COLORS! Kids threatened to quit and/or run the staff out of town!"

For me, that just made this uni choice that much more fun to see...

For me, that just made this uni choice that much more fun to see...

For me, having already known that story about Hoffman and his original intent for the Bayonne uniform in 1976, it just made me think that the members of the Bridgemen back then were right. This look on the field by the Jersey Surf was pretty horrendous. :throwupen:

For me, having already known that story about Hoffman and his original intent for the Bayonne uniform in 1976, it just made me think that the members of the Bridgemen back then were right. This look on the field by the Jersey Surf was pretty horrendous. :throwupen:

But this Dino is OK with a one and done homage..... :wink: