Uniforms (or Costumes if you prefer)... Hits or Misses over the years.

They looked amazing. The blue ones were disasters.

I liked the purple ones better too. If you're going to be bold, go for it! Of course, blue unis made perfect sense with the OOTW design.

Sky Ryders:

Hit: 1988

05_05_2014_88sky_2_630x370.jpg

Miss: 1981 (Not a HORRIBLE look, but still not great)

11_07_2014_skyryders81_2_620x370.jpg

Next up: Magic of Orlando

I know the 'modified western' look of the early 80's Sky Ryders wasn't for everyone... I think it worked for the era and style of SR during those years. It did play a role in my audition choice for my 'rook-out' year. I will be honest and say that I think the blue pallette of '83 was a step up from what I proudly wore in '82.

I really wanted to take the SR topic... But every time I started, I felt it was too much of a 'homer' post. Thought it best to leave it to a non-bias pair of eyes. I was going to use the monochrome black versus white uni's of '87 as my miss, but in the context of the show theme they were perfect... And years before 'Angels and Demons'.

And I do thank losnickes for the 'not horrible' clarifier... ;)

I know the 'modified western' look of the early 80's Sky Ryders wasn't for everyone... I think it worked for the era and style of SR during those years. It did play a role in my audition choice for my 'rook-out' year. I will be honest and say that I think the blue pallette of '83 was a step up from what I proudly wore in '82.

'81 Whitewater on PBS. We were so lucky it was being shown on Detroit PBS at the time. I was with a group of friends watching the broadcast. We were told many things about corps we had not yet seen live in drum corps shows. - one thing was that Vanguard was usually "boring." Oh how we were wrong on so many levels.

First off, Sky Rryders. We were floored. OMG - so entertaining - so unexpected. The horns - the guard!

This was the first uniform they wore when I learned about them. To this day I still like it.

See now... this to me is the problem that I always had with Hutch... who were they? To me, they were a great corps you just couldn't put into any one particular box. You think of other corps of that era... SCV, Devs, Phantom, Garfield, Cavies, Freelancers, Suncoast Sound, 27, Bridgemen, Troopers, Star of Indiana (good lord how many of that list is now folded)... they all had instantly describable looks, but you could just never say that about Sky Ryders.

Truly a chameleon corps.

See now... this to me is the problem that I always had with Hutch... who were they? To me, they were a great corps you just couldn't put into any one particular box. You think of other corps of that era... SCV, Devs, Phantom, Garfield, Cavies, Freelancers, Suncoast Sound, 27, Bridgemen, Troopers, Star of Indiana (good lord how many of that list is now folded)... they all had instantly describable looks, but you could just never say that about Sky Ryders.

Truly a chameleon corps.

Uhhh...Star radically changes it's looks quite a few times...as many as during Sky's finals appearances, I'd say.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 1

Truly a chameleon corps.

it all depends on your POV and when you started. Bayonne for instance...in less than a 10 year period they went from satin blouses to cadet-style jackets to the banana uns.