Indiana's New Law

You added a whole lot to my sentence, didn't you?

I never said the law won't affect anyone. The law is written so that the government will affect everyone the same.

"There are no groups that can be legally discriminated against by this law." .

Groups are people, my friend. :tounge2:

I know, you keep saying this even though it's not true. The federal and IN laws recognize that religious freedom has the same weight in court as a claim of discrimination. They even lay out the judiciary applications basis for determining which discrimination carries the greater weight and prohibits the shifting of burden from one party to another.

There is no evidence anywhere that DCI, corps, or fans on either side of the issue have faced such discrimination. In fact, all parties agree that IN and drum corps have been great to and for each other for decades.

There is only speculation and fear and, of course, political posturing used as evidence of what might happen

There's that word again "political".....

What isn't true? Are you saying gays can't be bared from businesses if the owner says it goes against his/her beliefs?

So since DCI people have not faced any discrimination (yet), no harm no foul huh? Yeah it's on the books but no one has tried it yet so everything is cool. I give the legislatures credit enough to have a real good idea of what will happen under this law so not sure how much speculation is needed.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Everyone, every group, equal under the eyes of the law, my friend.

Just like there is with marriage!

... Oh, wait.

Just like there is with marriage!

... Oh, wait.

Or being able to keep your job......

It's been fun, Indiana's New Law thread. I'm going to miss you when they shut you down.

I'll eat a waffle in your honor.

• Like 2

So by that line of reasoning, refusal to write a hate message on a cake is the the same refusing to serve a gay couple at their own wedding ( but serving them when they bought cakes for other people's wedding).

All I can say is wow, very unexpected, and disappointing.

In my mind, it doesn't matter what side of the issue one is on, there's no way to reconcile that these two examples are hugely different. Why in the world would someone even want to write something like that (hate words on a cake)? Imagine if race, age, national origin, or gender terms were put on the cake instead of sexual orientation... There would be an uproar.

the problem is a "hate message" is not the same for everyone.

should the state be the arbiter of what can and cannot be said?

just because there would be an "uproar" if someone does something, doesn't necessarily mean they should not be legally allowed to do it.

while I could not disagree more with what the Westboro Baptist Church does and what it stands for (and I would not be sad if all of them got hit by a truck), it is a sign of our great country that it can exist.

OK let's try a DCI sided thought.... Has anyone seen anything on what the Colts or owners of Lucas might do in wake of this legislature? Gotta be a PR and probable income nightmare to be located in the middle of this mess and no way to move away from it (pun intended).

pun intended = I remember seeing the Colts move from Baltimore Indy as used to watch the local Baltimore news. Bob Irsey was Mr Mayflower forever after (he used Mayflower Moving).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Or being able to keep your job......

The business owners I'm assuming you're referring to made a conscious decision based on their beliefs. There are consequences to those decisions.

I don't agree with the government's ability to fine a business out of existence, but would be just fine if they had to shut their doors due to a public boycott.

Keeping your job is not a right.