DCI New Practice Rules

I was just curious about something I read on the website of Freedom Drum and Bugle Corps. They are listed as a Prospective Corps on the DCI website under the corps tab. I was curious about this corps, since I had yet to hear about them. I copied the following section of their rehearsal information website:

"While we are going to be rehearsing quite a bit outside, to stay above the DCI future legislative curve, we’re keeping things clothing wise a bit more modest than usual drum corps. So, please, prepare to wear shirts the whole time. Cutoffs and tank tops are fine. We’re doing this, because DCI is going to make it a requirement for rehearsal in the future. Plus, it is already a requirement for Finals as of the 2015 season."

When did this change get voted in and why? It gets so darn hot while rehearsing in certain areas of the country, and now it seems DCI is concerned about modesty. I understand rules against drug use, and underage drinking, but something like banning guys from going shirtless in 105 degree heat (sunscreen should be mandatory perhaps) seems excessive. Perhaps I am just misinformed, or misinterpreting what I read. Can anyone fill me in on these changes if they are indeed true, as I am totally ignorant about any new rehearsal clothing rules.

A couple of years back a corps made the news because a particular neighbourhood complained about the corps' attire when they were rehearsing. I can't remember the exact details except it produced a lot of comments on here.

Anyway, now that other items are the news it had me wondering if a requirement such as this would be discussed.

Do some corps still do underwear runs?

We’re doing this, because DCI is going to make it a requirement for rehearsal in the future. Plus, it is already a requirement for Finals as of the 2015 season."

Many (if not most) housing sites have dress codes that they require quest groups to adhere to. While there are certainly practice sites on tour where it doesn't matter and folks won't care, there are a good deal of places where this is not the case, and corps are required to have their members dress appropriately.

There have been rumblings about DCI instituting a dress code for DCI-provided housing for several years.

Edited by Kamarag

This is not news if one has been present at DCI practices for a while now. The change is based on 3 reasons:

DCI'd medical committee took the suggestions of the emergency room staffs, medical schools which studied drum corps (such as Indiana), and best current practices to heart.

Better understanding of skin cancer, hydration, audio and aural health, and nutrition and rest have led to better practice procedures (number of water breaks, types of diet, physical training, etc.)

The matter of neighborhood and school district standards have been given greater respect. No smoking on school property, strict adherence to laws concerning alcohol and intoxicants, and the issues of sexual pressures/assaults/sensitivities all come into play beyond common decency. If the school district has a rule no one is shirtless on school property it applies to the corps as well. Corps almost always give the clinics to band kids in some sort of uniform look whether matching tee shirts or section clothes.

Corps today practice more often in practice shirts, section colored shorts, show head gear, show shoes etc. It is easier for the instructor(s) from the box to see the problems, give advice, and correct them. With so many faculty flying in and out of the whole tour, it is easier for the visiting faculty to teach. It also gives a better sense of the total package and whether proposed changes actually work in reality, not just theory..

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 6

The joke is these changes have not been jokes but have actually been changes in practice procedure.

The impending common Dress Code Policy may be the 4/1 joke but what I posted has actually been the matter of DCI meetings, guest presenters, and the medical staff.

Yeah, honestly it's probably something long overdue. Especially with the advances in workout apparel, it just makes sense. (DCI should be working overtime to partner with Under Armour or some such to provide clothing to *all* corps.)

Mike

I have had to have a part of my face replaced due to melanoma from my years on the beaches of L.I., drum corps practice fields, and Irish fair skin. Thank God for great doctors and surgeons; it all wasn't pretty before their magic.

There is an instructor for The Colts/Crossmen/ and/or Blue Knights who has gone through similar struggles and now shares that personal journey with the corps members before Spring Training sessions begin. Since most skin cancer problems root many years before their manifestation, it might be an apt talk for all corps.....even in this age of domed performances.

• Like 1

I have had to have a part of my face replaced due to melanoma from my years on the beaches of L.I., drum corps practice fields, and Irish fair skin. Thank God for great doctors and surgeons; it all wasn't pretty before their magic.

There is an instructor for The Colts/Crossmen/ and/or Blue Knights who has gone through similar struggles and now shares that personal journey with the corps members before Spring Training sessions begin. Since most skin cancer problems root many years before their manifestation, it might be an apt talk for all corps.....even in this age of domed performances.

Thank God for great doctors and surgeons, indeed.

I am in hopes that your recovery has been total, and there exist no ongoing residual effects. In terms of fair skin...just one place that the Creator left the Irish to fend for themselves.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1