RADICAL IDEA. Discuss.

Parade and the post parade food fest that I saw Fran but only there 2009 IIRC...... Friday night the corps Honor Guards were there for the National Anthem before the one (free?) concert and that was the only other corps presence that I remember.

Let's be honest. The Plymouth show isn't aimed at modern corps, fans, or audiences. It occurs in November, which is at the tail end of the marching band season. I'm not sure it's really fair to use that show as a measuring stick of anything other than as an early winter alumni or parade corps event.

• Like 4

Let's be honest. The Plymouth show isn't aimed at modern corps, fans, or audiences. It occurs in November, which is at the tail end of the marching band season. I'm not sure it's really fair to use that show as a measuring stick of anything other than as an early winter alumni or parade corps event.

I agree.

And like Jim said.... the Saturday night concert is only part of the overall festivities.

The other question is, who is willing to pay championship ticket prices, including hotel expenses, to watch a senior corps championship in the beginning of July? Geez, most corps are still trying to figure out which foot goes in front of the other!

• Like 6

Fred, I give you credit for thinking outside the box. But there are many excellent reasons given here explaining why DCA Championships is scheduled as it is.

One other aspect of this is money. Whenever a historical big show developed as early in the season as July 4th, it was because there was money behind it. You could still bring a world class slate of corps together on July 4th today if there was enough prize money at stake. But it would take far more money than the market would generate, which is why it does not happen.

OK what are the pro and cons of having DCA the weekend before Labor Day?

Fer instance.....

Pro: Corps with younger members are hitting school/MB conflicts with Labor Day and marching with holes

Con: Ain't a 3 day weekend and DCI fill ins need another week to learn the DCA drill (yeah it happens)

Fred, I give you credit for thinking outside the box. But there are many excellent reasons given here explaining why DCA Championships is scheduled as it is.

One other aspect of this is money. Whenever a historical big show developed as early in the season as July 4th, it was because there was money behind it. You could still bring a world class slate of corps together on July 4th today if there was enough prize money at stake. But it would take far more money than the market would generate, which is why it does not happen.

That's a reasoned response. Thank you. The point is, under the current championship situation, I suspect the season-ending, 'big corps payday' is not so big anymore. Something needs to be shaken-up. Hopefully, not just continually raising admission prices.

The problem, which is creating a bigger net return for the corps, is challenging. As much as I like Rochester, and as positive as that city and its people have been for DCA, there are limitations for growth there, I believe. I really don't think significant financial growth will come from a greater amount of individual tickets sold in Rochester. I'll go further to claim, the size of the stadium there prevents this.

I appreciate everyone who took time to provide their thoughts.

Best wishes for a solid 2015!

Or why not merge with DCI and have one HUGE drum corps event for DCA and DCI?

More spectators for both sides. Seems there may be less competitions every year on the DCA side anyways.

The point is, under the current championship situation, I suspect the season-ending, 'big corps payday' is not so big anymore. Something needs to be shaken-up.

What evidence do you have to support that suspicion? What's lead you to this conclusion? I'm curious as to your line of thinking here...

What evidence do you have to support that suspicion? What's lead you to this conclusion? I'm curious as to your line of thinking here...

The big payday as Fred mentions has leveled out these past few years, This I know. The share points each corps receives comes mostly from the the Championships net proceeds and though various costs have increased, the payday has stagnated. I think what Fred is getting at is something needs to be done to raise the net proceeds from Championships, more butts in the seats means more revenue for the circuit and the corps.

Just my 2 cents.

Jay