"New" brass instruments in 2015?

You allready have French Horns and Trombones on the field. Whats another NON bugle corps instrument on the summer band field going to make the differenece???

I'd guess their size, weight, and look might be issues.

I think if you apply the logic and arguments that have made in the past that its so the kids coming out of HS band will feel comfortable playing the instruments they are use too instead of adjusting to different instruments... then Sousaphones seem like the logical answer to put on the field. I say bring them. You allready have French Horns and Trombones on the field. Whats another NON bugle corps instrument on the summer band field going to make the differenece???

I hate them. I always will. I don't care if it makes sense or not. I was in a marching band that had traditional marching tubas that switched to plastic sousaphones with covers over the bells. We no longer had the same power in our low brass. We had compromise.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 1

. Whats another NON bugle corps instrument on the summer band field going to make the differenece???

It makes a huge difference, imo.

It allows these units to sound more like Concert Bands, ( with Concert Band instrumentation ) that a Drum & Bugle Corps simply would be incapable of attaining musically by comparison, imo.

A Concert Band, by its very nature, has an undeniably different sound than a Drum & Bugle Corps. So if the intent is to attain the sound of a Symphonic or Concert Band, then why WOULDN'T you want to utilize Concert Band, or Symphony Orchestra instrumentation ?

Edited by BRASSO

I'd guess their size, weight, and look might be issues.

Hasent stopped them so far.

It makes a huge difference, imo.

It allows these units to sound more like Concert Bands, ( with Concert Band instrumentation ) that a Drum & Bugle Corps simply would be incapable of attaining musically by comparison, imo.

A Concert Band, by its very nature, has an undeniably different sound than a Drum & Bugle Corps. So if the intent is to attain the sound of a Symphonic or Concert Band, then why WOULDN'T you want to utilize Concert Band, or Symphony Orchestra instrumentation ?

DCI proposals are voted on by all these DCI units, so its not like there was a " red light"... its a " green light ", now camel lips.

Edited by BRASSO

Sousaphones are the worst thing ever invented by a human. I marched clarinet in high school, taught myself to play tuba and marched 3 years of corps. After my 2nd year I did college marching band to keep my chops up (to audition for The Cadets) and had to march with a sousaphone for the first time. Hated each and every minute of it. Heavy, awkward, terrible visually.

• Like 1

I for one hope SCV uses the trombones again in a fashion similar to last season. I loved the timbre and extra "oomph" achieved in the opening and closing hits.

It would fit their theme too. Trombones could be considered "innovative" in a way to DCI. Let's see if they can apply an innovative way to use them.

I totally agree. Baritones and Euphs (being conical instruments) simply cannot provide the sound of the trombone, especially at louder levels. The cylindrical sound of the bone in a piece like Scheherazade is so needed and it was nice that they could use the orchestral trombone. Certainly if they had to only use traditional drum corps brass (whatever that is these days) I would have been fine with it, but the trombone was a hit and sounded wonderful in my opinion.

• Like 1

Sousaphones are the worst thing ever invented by a human. I marched clarinet in high school, taught myself to play tuba and marched 3 years of corps. After my 2nd year I did college marching band to keep my chops up (to audition for The Cadets) and had to march with a sousaphone for the first time. Hated each and every minute of it. Heavy, awkward, terrible visually.

Are sousaphones heavier than contras? I did not realize that. (All I ever marched was a sousaphone. Like you I switched from clarinet, although by way of bassoon.)

I switched to bassoon for concert band in 10th grade, ended up getting a degree in it! (My bassoon prof never found out why my breath support was so much better and I was so tan after the summer....)

Back to the point...they felt heavier; the one I marched with was an ancient King I believe. I just looked up Dynasty's sousaphones and their 4 valve model is listed at 30 lbs. For comparison the Dynasty contra-tuba I marched in 2004 and '05 was 25 lbs, and the 3-valve Yamaha I marched with in 2006 was 17 lbs and wonderfully balanced <3

Sousas are also just unwieldy--you're INSIDE the instrument, rather than holding it. Also larger step sizes make it hard to keep the horn from moving around, since part of the horn is resting near your hip...and those darn "bits" to hold the mouthpiece never stopped moving around...