INDY 2015

What's a Hostel? Does it have good amenities?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostel

At the Vegas one, you can make your own pancakes and I paid for a room with bathroom. I believe it was $32/night. At the Prescott, AZ one, the provided breakfast was better than many hotels continental breakfasts. It wasn't busy, so I had a bunk bed room to myself. It was $27/night and two blocks from downtown. Most hostels have wifi.

(Back in 71, I had to stop for the night in DC and the Hostel was a buck a night.)

http://www.indyhostel.us/

Edited by Ghost

I plan to be in attendance again, and I'd be interested in a DCP meet up.

Seems a bit early for this thread, as I'll forget everything by then. But a couple places in downtown I like: Pearings Cafe (froyo, coffee, wifi), Square Donuts, Cafe Patachou.

The hotels downtown are a little pricier, but I think any of them are well worth not having to drive around.

I don't think it's early at all. If we can remove the "mystery" of going to finals maybe some fans would be interested in making the trek.

For instance, today I found out that the handy, right next door, Holiday Inn Express is sold out for finals week.

I might splurge and put the kids up in a downtown motel this year - the first time ever as we usually "camp" - because the_Kid will be marching next year and I'd like him to experience a drum corps hotel "after party" at least once before he signs on. (We'll see if he's paying attention to DCP during finals.)

Anyway, we've done most of the touristy-things in Indy and now focus on comfort and convenience to enjoy the shows. New fans might want to plan some fun and, from what I know, music people need a BUNCH of time to plan ahead to be able to do anything.

Another story, another thread...

• Like 1

To answer an earlier question and someone's comment, here's some of my experience there...

The four hotels closest to LOS sell out almost before the calendar year changes. Part of the reason is that annual goers pre-reserve their rooms with a deposit for next year. Some corps also take blocks of rooms and sell these rooms as a package with tickets for LOS. The Staybridge Inn across the street from LOS is an example. Carolina Crown has used this as their base for admin and alums for many years. More recently, Boston Crusaders have begun to move in on that turf. Last year the small size of the public areas there became a concern when both corps' BoDs wanted to hold pizza parties there for their own retinue. Staff at Staybridge is usually costumed in Crown tee shirts and loyalties. They like the high money produced by the package deals.

The two hotels next door usually attract SCV, PR, and again Boston fans and alums. Occasionally, a few BD parents and Troop parents are seen amongst the mix..

Each of the four hotels have wonderful hot breakfasts which are as crowded as semi-finals and become a rolling breakfast for some who move from breakfast crowd to breakfast crowd in each hotel under the guise of renewing friendships, catching up on the current data, and arranging rides home for after Finals.

Out the front door of LOS and behind Union Station is where DCI puts its HQ for party-goers, wannabees, and who wants to be seen. Last year;s motorcycle "convention" made the noise from the DCIers a whimper against their biker roar.

Judges and contest committee are billeted further up Meridian in the more standard convention hotels. Between the two spots is Steak N Shake which becomes the post-prelims convention center for Open Class and early WC corps performers, Get ready to stand in line for the half-price evening Shakes while SCVC and BDB celebrate every birthday that has occurred since they left California.

A number of quality hotels are along Meridian but quite a few miles up in Carmel or out along the by-pass Interstates. Breakfasts and late suppers may be a pricy addition and not always near where the hotels sit.

I usually stay at the JW. Yes a tad pricey but its nice. I've seen staff/directors from Bluecoats in the Club Room many times.

I don't think it's early at all. If we can remove the "mystery" of going to finals maybe some fans would be interested in making the trek.

For instance, today I found out that the handy, right next door, Holiday Inn Express is sold out for finals week.

I might splurge and put the kids up in a downtown motel this year - the first time ever as we usually "camp" - because the_Kid will be marching next year and I'd like him to experience a drum corps hotel "after party" at least once before he signs on. (We'll see if he's paying attention to DCP during finals.)

Anyway, we've done most of the touristy-things in Indy and now focus on comfort and convenience to enjoy the shows. New fans might want to plan some fun and, from what I know, music people need a BUNCH of time to plan ahead to be able to do anything.

Another story, another thread...

Thanks to some very accommodating friends in high places, I just booked the Omni Severign for $169/night. I believe this is a package price.

It also seems to be the congregation space for west coast corps.

Airbnb has some reasonable places within walking distance to LOS. We are using that,have had good luck with them in most cities but do recommend going for a whole apt or whole house instead of just a room.

This is my kid's sixth and age out year, but my first time. Very excited. Any recommendations on seating selections for the shows?

Airbnb has some reasonable places within walking distance to LOS. We are using that,have had good luck with them in most cities but do recommend going for a whole apt or whole house instead of just a room.

This is my kid's sixth and age out year, but my first time. Very excited. Any recommendations on seating selections for the shows?

Man, this is EPIC for you and your kid. Amazing.

The Friends section is Sec 240 or so which is 50 yard line, mid-way up the stadium - "center-center" as we used to call it.

Anything close to that is a great seat.

My family has stayed at the Omni Severin every year since DCI moved to Indy. Very convenient and a nice place. It's DCI headquarters and a few corps headquarters as well. Attached to the mall which is attached to the convention center so if it's bad weather you can stay indoors all the way to Lucas. Otherwise it's a quick walk across the street. Starbucks in the lobby.

Man, this is EPIC for you and your kid. Amazing.

The Friends section is Sec 240 or so which is 50 yard line, mid-way up the stadium - "center-center" as we used to call it.

Anything close to that is a great seat.

Thanks!!

I usually stay at the JW. Yes a tad pricey but its nice. I've seen staff/directors from Bluecoats in the Club Room many times.

JW is the official Bluecoats hotel. They reserve a big block.