Who plays what brands?

Why is no one yet using Tama drums? I hear they are aligned with Kanstul brass now?

Interesting ... looks like Spirit is using them now, as well as Genesis, Southwind, City Sound. It's a start at least.

Anyone have first-hand experience with Tama marching percussion?

http://www.tamamarching.com/Artists

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

Interesting ... looks like Spirit is using them now, as well as Genesis, Southwind, City Sound. It's a start at least.

Spirit: From recent Facebook photos, the bass drum line is using Pearl and the cymbal line has Zildjian. Edited by CrownBariDad

Tama drums are nice, but pricy. Same reason more corps don't use Kanstul. They're very expensive instruments to buy as a full set. Tama is also pretty new on the scene, so will probably take a very years to get them integrated for corps. Or if they pair up with a bigger brass manufacturer.

The Yamaha euphoniums are the best ones out there. They're beautifully balanced, easy to move, and have an amazing sound. Closest I've found to concert euphs on the field. The Kings are way too end-heavy, and are restrictive to play. The Jupiters have improved since the first generation, and the kickers are nice to have. The System Blue horns are probably second best for ergonomics, and play quite well. And the less said about the Dynastys, the better.

I have a soft spot for Ludwig. I used to visit the factory in Chicago as a youth and would love to see them return to prominence in drum corps.

I have a soft spot for Ludwig. I used to visit the factory in Chicago as a youth and would love to see them return to prominence in drum corps.

There was an attempt by them in the late 90's, and I know Crown used them at the time, but they seem to have fallen off the map again.

There was an attempt by them in the late 90's, and I know Crown used them at the time, but they seem to have fallen off the map again.

Southwind and Magic used Ludwig in the mid-00s. From what I remember, the tenors sounded ok, the basses were too quiet (not enough air holes), and the snares were rough. Ludwig's current marching line is the same as 10 years ago, unfortunately.

Spirit: From recent Facebook photos, the bass drum line is using Pearl and the cymbal line has Zildjian.

Spirit is still using Pearl. Their finish was released in the FB page if their drum finishes. I'm guessing the Tama connection is the Kanstul horns. Once Tama finishes their front ensemble equipment they should become a bigger player in the drum corps world.

The best instruments by far are King... But, they're also not cost effective for the corps like other brands.

When Jupiter joined the drum corps ranks in the 00's I cringed... And, then what we heard from Phantom and Academy made us think Jupiter was going to be short lived in the activity. But- here's the deal more and more corps are going to Jupiter because they're committed to getting they're instruments better. Each and every year the get with the corps and discuss what needs fixing. In my mind and my ears- low and mid brass wise Jupiter is awesome! They still have some growing to do to get the trumpet to sound less tinney/buzzy but they're committed.

Course Yamaha is solid as a rock and sound great. Kanstul still makes good products but certainly will likely never have the market like they once did.... Dynasty? Well it's still dynasty!:p

Looking forward to great drum corps this summer

Wes P