Cadets Going To 10 Bass Drums?

Spirit of Atlanta had nine for the Interstellar Suite show in 1989. I want to say they were there the whole show, but I'm not positive.

they were. bottom guys even had rearview mirrors on the drums

Didn't Cavaliers also add extra basses for the drum feature in '92? It's always a neat effect - more drummers is always better. (Shut up brass people - nobody asked you.)

Mike

I think so. the recording is so bad, and they sound so filthy tho I kinda tuned it out.

A video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRB5mjocF0s) that was released by Youth Education, the organization that runs the Cadets, had described what their 2015 drum corps show is about. At about 53 seconds in the video, George Hopkins says that they'll have 10 bass drums in the bass drum section. Could this be true? Or is this something they say to bring up the hype to their show?

IIRC Cadets were toying with the idea of 10 for at least part of the show in 93. I vaguely remember hearing camp tapes that sound like 'Flight of the Bumblebee' on drums, and the written music is interesting to read as well! Obviously they changed their minds at some point in the season or something.

As for this year: BRING IT! Sounds like fun to me!!

Would like to have heard Cavies 2011 with 10 bass drums -- that stuff in the middle piece. BOM BOM BOM rollllll BOM BOM BOM roolllll BOM BOM BOM.....

Spirit of Atlanta had nine for the Interstellar Suite show in 1989. I want to say they were there the whole show, but I'm not positive.

Kiwanis Kavaliers had 8 in 97. IIRC the orchestration went something like this:

* Opener = 5 + 3 on marching timbales

* Percussion Feature = all 8 as a giant line

* next chart = two split lines of 4 with pretty crazy writing

don't remember what they did for the little bit of closer the drums played on

Kiwanis Kavaliers had 8 in 97. IIRC the orchestration went something like this:

* Opener = 5 + 3 on marching timbales

* Percussion Feature = all 8 as a giant line

* next chart = two split lines of 4 with pretty crazy writing

don't remember what they did for the little bit of closer the drums played on

Saw them in Texas that year - it was a neat setup they did for Evita. One of the few times I got to see them live, actually.

Mike