What to read on the bus?

Your Dot Book! A book I guarantee you will remember by summers end! (I Hope)

• Like 1

I improved my French 10-fold.

Another way to accomplish that would be to join Les Stentors.

It was also a remake of a Hong Kong film called Infernal Affairs (which has an even higher reputation among some viewers than the much-acclaimed Scorsese film).

INFERNAL AFFAIRS is the best movie with a bad name! :tounge2:

I haven't seen the sequels, but I really do like the original. I also love Scorsese's adaptation, and the way he fused in the Whitey Bulger influence and made that film truly feel like a Boston crime movie rather than a repurposed Hong Kong movie was brilliant

INFERNAL AFFAIRS is the best movie with a bad name! :tounge2:

I haven't seen the sequels, but I really do like the original. I also love Scorsese's adaptation [The Departed], and the way he fused in the Whitey Bulger influence and made that film truly feel like a Boston crime movie rather than a repurposed Hong Kong movie was brilliant

I think it's a clever pun, and ...(checks Wikipedia)... "infernal" does suggest the Cantonese title, whose literal translation would be The Unceasing Path, which is apparently a reference to the Buddhist version of Hell.

So somehow we've made our way back to Crown's show!

Anyway, I've only seen a few clips of the original, but the remake left me fairly cold on first viewing. It seemed pretty heavy-handed in the "rat" theme especially, and the movie's final shot made several people in the theater laugh out loud, and not in a good way. But it was more tolerable on a second viewing. Best of all is Mark Wahlberg's performance.

-in the same way that nearly every war/sports movie has this guy, i'm fairly certain every corps has one too: The guy who may or may not be actually smarter but makes it a priority to bring an academic style on tour. I bet there's always 1 member in a corps with a big russian book or the equivalent. maybe he gets nicknamed Doc or Four Eyes. Reads a lot, carries an air of sedate responsibility. He's probably in the pit but not always.

I was that guy some summers, but not all. Godbless That Guy reading on the bus.

My son may be that guy ... he wants me to pick him up a cheap paperback copy of the Iliad.

My favorites were "My Secret Life. The sexual adventures of an English Gentleman". Got confiscated by Father Sam. If also read War and Peace. Some light reading that alleviated the boredom.

Oscar

" John Adams " :... Author, David McCullough ( 2008, Simon & Schuster, Publiisher )

A liitle bit, I suppose, because its not horror fiction, its about real horror.... The main character Whitey Bulger was( and remains ) a cold blooded torturer and murderer. But it makes for an interesting and fascinating story ( imo ) of family and friend loyalties , family and friend betrayals, governmental incompetence and corruption, extortion, bribes, elusiveness ( Whitey is like a cat with 9 lives ), twists and turns around every corner, etc. The movie " The Departed " was loosely based on the story of Whitey Bulger. But the book " Black Mass" ( written around 2003 when Whitey was still on the lam ) and the movie to come out in mid Sept., is more of an indepth look at this monster and how he got away for over half a century with his life of crime as a dangerous, heartless, evil and violent gangster. The book is a page turner. At least it was for me, anyway.

I can't read or watch anything scary anymore.

When I was younger I could but I can't stomach it anymore. That includes books/movies about ghosts and other things that go bump in the night. I've seen some strange stuff and don't want to be reminded of it.

I can't read or watch anything scary anymore.

When I was younger I could but I can't stomach it anymore. That includes books/movies about ghosts and other things that go bump in the night. I've seen some strange stuff and don't want to be reminded of it.

I never cared much for horror flicks. I have friends that can't wait to see the scariest, goriest, films put out there. Not me. But I do understand that everyone's tastes in things can be different, and in some cases, vastly different.

Edited by BRASSO

It's been a while (ahem), but some of what I remember reading during my three summers on tour includes:

Rendezvous With Rama, Arthur C. Clark

Rama II, Arthur C. Clark

The Garden of Rama, Arthur C. Clark

Carrion Comfort, Dan Simmons

Boy's Life, Robert McCammon

Red Storm Rising, Tom Clancy

I'm mostly into reading for pure fun and don't really bother too much with "intellectual" stuff. (I just want to be entertained.) Now I've gotten into Stephen King (and have pretty much read everything of his) and the collaborative books of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Plus any decent science fiction, suspense, techno thriller or horror that I can find. Oh to have had a 64gb iPod back when I marched...