What to read on the bus?

I can't think of anything I would rather do less than listen to drumcorps or read about drumcorps in the middle of tour. I would say anything written by David Sedaris, or Anthony Bourdain would be a good mind cleanser during off time.

• Like 1

Travel maps. ( haha!)

This was at those times BITD ( that long timers no doubt recall ) when marchers sometimes drove the busses, equipment trucks, kitchen trucks, other Corps vehicles etc on portions of the national summer tours.

Edited by BRASSO

If you're in high school, you probably have a summer reading list, get moving on that since you won't have time to do it when you return from tour, and even if you do, you'll probably be too tired!

Personally, I found tour to be a great time to focus on reading nonfiction. You're living such a fantasy life that reading about other people's reality is really interesting. I don't remember all of what I read, but I do remember really enjoying Alex Ross' book on 20th Century music, The Rest is Noise, and Jennifer Toth's book about the homeless who live in NYC's abandoned subways and sewage tunnels, The Mole People. Just my $0.02.

Edited by zachariaswmb
  • Like 1

I could have read Tolstoy's " War and Peace " from front to back in the summer if it wasn't for Drum Corps.

But I wouldn't have been as much fun at Alumni gatherings years later,... just at Russian Literature Appreciation. Conventions.

Edited by BRASSO

The first drum corps related book I bought was Echoes in the Valley by Jud Spena. It related to my experience and era. I bought 3 more books since. As a marching member I wrote journals with doodles, took photos, read maps. After drum corps tour 1970, I painted a picture with water colours. When I went to school in September they asked 'What did you do over the summer?' I handed in the painting. Read, write, photogragh, journal(blog?), paint, video. Find the medium that's best for you.

Thanks to the authors of books. You're authentic.

• Like 1

Got to meet Jud for a few seconds at DCA a few years back Linda and enjoyed the few seconds we had to talk.

Another corps related book is "The Racine American Legion Post 76 Drum and Bugle Corps" by George Fennell. It shows what DC was like between WWI and WWII and shows just how far we have come in the activity.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well the best read on tour is Playb... Ok ok nevermind:)

I would suggest Stephen King. The Shining, It, Cujo, Christine, Pet Cemetery... Great books. Or, the Tom Clancy books are cool- Lots o spy stuff!

• Like 1

Without checking 90% of the posts, whatever happened to getting some sleep?

Or reading The Bible.

Lots of athletes on busses read the Bible. ( and yes, I get that DCI Drum Corps is " not a sport "to some here)