crownbrass.org

It seems as though Crown's brass section has completed its metamorphosis into a wholly separate organization.

There isn't a single mention on the site of the other sections of the corps, or even that the hornline is just one part of a larger performing group. If you were an alien that stumbled onto that website, you wouldn't be able to figure out that there are drums in drum corps.

Sure, Crown's brass is great but do you know why? Because the percussion and guard are also great. Because the corps has great design.

Maybe I'm old, but this just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe the role of a "section" is no longer what it was in my day.

Have can of fuel, throw it on the fire.

Seriously, I'm a drummer and I disagree. Drum corps horn lines, and especially, Crown's, could be as or more compelling in a church cathedral as they are on the field. I think this is just marketing to the horn-players of the world.

I can pretty much assure you that, if you're old, very little in today's drum corps is as it was back in your day.

We live that fact every day here, my friend.

• Like 5

It seems as though Crown's brass section has completed its metamorphosis into a wholly separate organization.

There isn't a single mention on the site of the other sections of the corps, or even that the hornline is just one part of a larger performing group. If you were an alien that stumbled onto that website, you wouldn't be able to figure out that there are drums in drum corps.

Sure, Crown's brass is great but do you know why? Because the percussion and guard are also great. Because the corps has great design.

Maybe I'm old, but this just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe the role of a "section" is no longer what it was in my day.

It's just branding. Crown is known for their brass. It has become their identity. There is nothing wrong with them embracing that.

• Like 1

No entirely sure the reasoning behind "spinning off" a website, but I don't believe that is Crown's new official site, as they are still using carolinacrown.org. So while they are somehow highlighting their brass (and understandably so), they haven't officially forgotten the other sections.

Count me among the people in this echo chamber: this is just another, more specified way for people to learn about this group.

Besides, for just about every other group, the "big, loud, boom boom" instruments that kids love get all the publicity anyway. I don't see how a separate web site for an elite section is a bad thing.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

I can't wait to see what they do with it...hopefully they get some content up about philosophy, their approach to pedagogy, and maybe even insight into their instructional methods. This could be an educational tool for music educators everywhere if they want it to be...

Wait, are you upset because Crown's brass has their own website? There is still Crown's main corps website, www.crownbrass.org seems to just be an offshoot promoting the brass. This doesn't seem too different from sites like Holy Bass FB page, or Crown's People's Front Ensemble Tumblr page.

carolinabrass.org is seemingly not replacing their corps' main site, and in light of the talent (and likely interest) in the brass section why not have their own page?