Indy "opening" contest

I guess the question about the scoring that I really have is areally they scoring performance, or are they scoring design?

Seems to me that crown performed their show better, but the design elements in cadets show were enough to win.

I believe the last time the cadets won, they were the only corps in history to win a championship without winning at least one performance caption.

Nevertheless the scores are still tight, BD is coming east and we might have an honest to God 6 way horse race for the title cone finals night which is exactly what drum corps fan should want to see

What I'd like to see under the Christmas tree some year is a top-12 group of corps so tightly grouped that Finals week would induce figurative coronaries in drum corps fans across the country -- not to mention their respective Corps Directors.

(P.S. -- Would somebody please wake me up, for I must most assuredly be dreaming.)

(P.P.S. -- I can't even begin to imagine what this scenario would do to the common DCI judge. {shiver} )

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 3

Blue Stars are no longer a corps that should be in the annual "Who will make finals?" discussion.

To be fair, since returning to Finals in 2008, the Stars have only missed once in seven attempts, were eighth in three of those years and ninth last year.

• Like 1

Something about painting hashes. No wait, wrong corps.

Painting my hashish is the very last item of consideration in my mind.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the Blue Stars. I have them passing Madison and possibly Cavies if the latter doesn't fix their show.

• Like 1

Excellent review and I agree with most, especially Blue Stars. I thought their show was very well designed vs. Cavies and Madison and that lots of cleaning and tweaking could move them up a few spots from last year. Thanks for a great review.

The Blue Stars should be one of the feel good stories of DCI this year. A founding member of DCI, they fold, come back, work their way back to World Class, make Finals, get knocked out of Finals, then get BACK in, and become a contender again after their 50th anniversary.

Since 2012 they've started something special over at Blue Stars. Between Saucedo's brass writing, Shapiro's guard, and the killer front ensemble...this group could be the next new champion, after Bluecoats of course! They're on their way. But of course that means they have to really prove themselves. They don't have the luxury of having a bad year get looked over, like Cavies 2012 or Phantom 2009. This is their opportunity to jump up to the table with the big boys and leave the borderline finalists behind for good. Miss that opportunity and it's back to the hovering around 12th range. If this year's show doesn't live up to its potential, they'll have to work that much harder the next few years just to stay in their 10-12 bracket. If they make this show what it can be? They could easily crack the Top 8 and solidify their position as a top corps. It's really exciting.

Edited by Phan_of_Drumming

After reading everyone's opinion last night and today, I feel as my thoughts and reaction to the shows seem to fit in with most folks. It's early season and all will work to improve so who knows how I'll feel later on. That being said, I'll try to take a slightly different angle and mention thing I haven't seen discussed much.

Madison - liked the last 2/3 of the show; harkens back to that City of Angels feel; it will be more enjoyable for the those of use that remember those shows

Blue Stars - the juggler was the best part of the show 😉 ; loved their show last year so this year is a disappointment

Crown - tough break on the fabric; ballad was my fav part

Cavies - they need to get a visual tech on those foam blocks and clean their dots; same feeling as the Blue Stars show

Cadets - drop sash was changed during the show I think it was during the mello feature but not sure

Bluecoats - it hurt my ears being way to loud much louder than other corps; the effects really didn't translate well to the screen and by all accounts it's more effective in person; wish I could see it live in ATL but it's not looking good for that trip this year

The Blue Stars should be one of the feel good stories of DCI this year. A founding member of DCI, they fold, come back, work their way back to World Class, make Finals, get knocked out of Finals, then get BACK in, and become a contender again after their 50th anniversary.

Since 2012 they've started something special over at Blue Stars. Between Saucedo's brass writing, Shapiro's guard, and the killer front ensemble...this group could be the next new champion, after Bluecoats of course! They're on their way. But of course that means they have to really prove themselves. They don't have the luxury of having a bad year get looked over, like Cavies 2012 or Phantom 2009. This is their opportunity to jump up to the table with the big boys and leave the borderline finalists behind for good. Miss that opportunity and it's back to the hovering around 12th range. If this year's show doesn't live up to its potential, they'll have to work that much harder the next few years just to stay in their 10-12 bracket. If they make this show what it can be? They could easily crack the Top 8 and solidify their position as a top corps. It's really exciting.

I had forgotten these facts. While I don't swoon over the underdog like a lot of people, I can't help but hold just a little corner of my heart open to the Stars. I wish for them a successful and SAFE 2015 touring season.

Things change. Adapt or stop following and ######## about it.

These things don't change by themselves. People change them. People who can make mistakes. Sometimes people recognize their mistakes and correct them. I know BRASSO isn't always the easiest person to have a discussion with, but he's making a perfectly reasonable point here.

It's not like he picks on you for criticizing numbers management regularly. "That's just the way it is, Jeff. Learn to live with it."

• Like 1

After reading everyone's opinion last night and today, I feel as my thoughts and reaction to the shows seem to fit in with most folks. It's early season and all will work to improve so who knows how I'll feel later on. That being said, I'll try to take a slightly different angle and mention thing I haven't seen discussed much.

Madison - liked the last 2/3 of the show; harkens back to that City of Angels feel; it will be more enjoyable for the those of use that remember those shows

Blue Stars - the juggler was the best part of the show ; loved their show last year so this year is a disappointment

Crown - tough break on the fabric; ballad was my fav part

Cavies - they need to get a visual tech on those foam blocks and clean their dots; same feeling as the Blue Stars show

Cadets - drop sash was changed during the show I think it was during the mello feature but not sure

Bluecoats - it hurt my ears being way to loud much louder than other corps; the effects really didn't translate well to the screen and by all accounts it's more effective in person; wish I could see it live in ATL but it's not looking good for that trip this year

HUH?!?!?!

HUH?!?!?!

Maybe she meant "mellow" feature.....who knows??