Indy "opening" contest

DCI website in its runner now says the if the conditions are right, the 6/17 show in the dome will be done with the ceiling opened.

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=210147036

However, weather.com is reporting a 50% chance of rain in Indy that evening.

Any comments about what acoustics will be like in a humid but relatively empty stadium if the dome is opened?

Since probably few corps have had many run throughs on the march indoor during ST, what's the effect on the performers the first time before the green shirts while we are all watching in our neighborhood cinemas? Is it a fair reading as the green shirts set the first numbers for the national rankings?

What say you?

• Like 1

I'm all for trying it, but I'll be surprised if people who have been going to Indy for years can honestly say it led to a appreciable improvement in sound clarity and balance. My own hunch is that a roof the size of the one at Lucas Oil, with everything else enclosed, plays a relatively small role in the muddy, boomy sound of an indoor stadium. But sure, give it a shot and see what people think.

Oh, and as to the second topic, is it a fair reading? The first show of any season is like a preseason game for everyone, performers, staff, and judges, to settle nerves, see what's working and what's not, and build anticipation. I think all that's more important in the context of the season than the actual scores or caption ranks.

There has been high humidity and daily pop-up storms for at least a week now, and that doesn't look for change for this week either.

In short, I'll believe it when I walk into LoS 8:15. Not getting my hopes up.

You can forget that open roof. Weather.com says 80% chance of storms in Indy tomorrow. I think it has to be 10% or less for the stadium to consider opening the roof (for any event).

Never thought about blowing those big curtains around if the wind picks up. That begs an interesting question: If we can't have both, which would be better for the overall fan experience, black curtains or open sky?

There are the same two chances of the roof being open as there have been since opening day in 2009: none, and none.

I wonder what the provision might have been considered for the curtains if they ever could open the roof. Maybe they never considered it.

It seems a great topic but, alas, I'm convinced the best overall fan experience and risk-limiter for DCI is to leave the roof closed. It won't be but a few more years before nearly the entire fan base will have never experienced finals week outdoors. Soon it'll just be old codgers and DCP-complainers who even know what they're missing.

• Like 3

I've performed in LOS with the roof open before. It really didn't change much from a performer's perspective. I'm not sure how it changed the audience's ability to hear everything, but I do know it made it warmer due to the obvious.

I'm guessing there won't even be a black curtain, meaning when the roof is closed it will be much boomier than we have experienced.

Excited to see the corps perform regardless of the roof, curtain, temperature, etc.

• Like 1