Your Favorite Shows of Early 2015

I did my west coast trip and back to east coast. Cadets are still dirty and need to get feet in order. It is a tuff book to march and play.Drum line is killer. Coats.......surprised me but I think the show needs a bit more ..........do not know the right word. SCV.........BIG sleeper here. IF they clean and do some minor changes.watch out. BD, have not liked the past few years shows..................but this is a monster show. Corps to beat this year again. Crown. Great show, just feel that BD, SCV Blue and Cadets have more solid shows.. Going to be an interesting summer.

• Like 1

My signature has my favorite shows of the season in order. But I'll elaborate a little...

1. Blue Devils - Ink

Where do I begin? To a lot of people, this show is going to be BD's normal esoteric, park and barking show. Not to me. I think I have to first start out with the recurring melody in this show (I believe it is the tune "Dark Forest" by David Glyde). It appears in the opener and in the closer. I think that alone was one of the best parts of the show. Each time the melody was presented, it was in a different mood, giving the show a really nice shape. The Blue Devils did the exact same thing with their opener and closer in 2012. The next thing I love about this show is that I'm finding new things each time I view it! Yeah the corps isn't necessarily marching as much as say, the Cadets, but there are so many different things going on the field that I never tire of it. The ballad in this show is my nomination for best ballad of 2015. Finally the closer! It doesn't look like this is the final closer of this show but man is it beautiful. It reminds me of their closer from 2012. Haunting. Overall, this show is my easy, easy pick for favorite of 2015.

2. Bluecoats

I'm loving Bloo's new direction. Prior to 2010, they seemed lie a corps that was in the "background." They had some great shows but I don't feel like they were the type of corps to generate conversation. What a difference now! I'm mesmerized by what they're doing with electronics this year. When I first saw their show announcement, I expected electronics, but not like this. I think the biggest compliment I can give them is that the electronics enhance their show. It doesn't detract in any way whatsoever (well, maybe apart from a little synth goo in certain spots). They have my 2nd favorite ballad this year (hint: quality of ballad is a big factor of how much I enjoy a show :tounge2: ) and it's quite beautiful, despite not really having any meaning to it. Can't wait to see what they do with the closer this year.

3. Carolina Crown

The hornlineeee is the absolute highlight of this show. Their percussion has improved quite a bit to my untrained ears, but wow that brass. I think what makes this show so great is the tone with which the corps plays. It SOUNDS evil. Just listen to the end of the Dies Irae section. Holy Crap! The closer is... meh right now. Much like Bloo, I can't wait to see what changes they make in their closer.

4. Cadets

The Cadets are usually hit and miss with me. However, when the show is a hit for me, it's in an odd year (the year that George DOESN'T choose the design of the show. Surprise!!). Anyways, this corps is a powerhouse. Reminds me of 2013 and 2007. The hornline is amazing, the percussion is off the roof as usual, and the corps is hauling ###. It's a classic Cadets show with all the firepower. Musically, I'm not the biggest fan of how repetitive (and long) the opener after the preshow is, but the hornline and difficulty of what they're doing more than makes up for it. The Mulholland Drive "ballad" is definitely not my favorite but the visual combined with the music is pretty beautiful. A lot of people find the high stepping corny, I find it to be a pretty powerful moment. Hopefully they add a bit more "volume" at the end of the ballad to give it even more resonance. The waltz is insane, especially the french horn feature. I always regret not learning french horn in school. That closer is going to be crazy, I really hope dirtiness doesn't hold this show back.

5. Phantom Regiment

In reality, in its current form, I'm not sure this show is my 5th favorite of 2015. But as most of you know, I'm a huge Phantom Regiment fan and love this corps. Visually, this program is beautiful. They really stepped up the drill this year and it's classic Regiment. The Phantomettes have a pretty great presence in this show and I love how they've taken a break from their typically "fierce" roles and are more "cute." They add a lot to the show visually as well. Finally, the music and hornline.. I'm a little underwhelmed right now. It's a very safe program but it has potential. I still remember how... disappointed I was about their show last year and then they kicked it up late in the season and it turned into one of the shows I listen to the most in 2014. My hope is that they can work the same magic this year! If I had to choose a corps that isn't a homer pick for this spot, it'd probably be the Boston Crusaders.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

Haven't seen any of the west coast shows yet....execept for a couple of youtube videos recorded from bad angles, but BD sounds pretty good. I hadn't liked any of BD's shows since 2007, but that changed in 2014. It was so good and it reminded me of why I had loved them in the late 90's and early 2000's. Sounds likes like another good year and can't wait to see them on the 14th.

Crown....so much better without all the friggin' props all over the field. The guard is extremely strong, rivaling their 2013 edition, though it's still early. Don't know much about percussion but I like it alot better than I did for last year. Brass...so amazi

ng as always. It's so dark and yet full. There are points in the show that make me shake when thinking what it's going to sound like by August. The only problem is the closer...it's good but to me it feels like a missed opportunity to play different material that could have enhanced the show to an instant rival of 2013. But I have to remind myself of how early it is and they've always changed the ending so I'll cross my fingers.

Bluecoats--if they want to overcome Tilt, they're certainly going about it the right way. It looks and sounds awesome. Sadly I won't be able to watch them live at all this year, same with SCV.

Cadets--Love it so far, So much better than 2012-2014. Sounds amazing and percussion is awesome. Can't wait to see them in three weeks

I will say my top 5.

no honorable mentions. All of these shows i have only seen once, which is less than I wanted but DCI Live is what it is. If your favorite show isn't on here, do not take it personally.

1. SCV. Man, what a show! being a fan of SCV I am always afraid going into the season that the show will just fall flat with me. Well, another year this is not the case. Not only is the show entertaining and difficult, they are also playing the heck out of it. But the highlights to me are still the visual design, and man that rendition of pure imagination. I just want to hear it again! The brass is probably the best we have heard from SCV in a long while, and the percussion is as good as ever. Their use of a theramin in their show (live) is a ballsy move, and they throw their sound around like the bluecoats at times. Probably the most electronics we have heard used from SCV, which to me shows how a corps can use it well even while using it sparingly in the past. And the decision to use a theramin in the pit is something that isn't talked much about, but definitely adds another unique sound to this show that we aren't getting from anyone else.

2. Blue Knights. While the show concept seems disconnected from what is currently on the field, this is probably my favorite blue knights show that i have seen. Its very melodic, which in prior years it seemed that they were trying to distract from a weak hornline by emphasizing visuals and concept. Now they are embracing the brass and are being rewarded for it. Its a very moving show, musically, as compared to last year where it was moving in other ways. visually it is what i have grown to expect from the designers from BK, which is outstanding staging and movement. I want to have more to say about this show, but its really more of an experience or a feeling to me than the other shows, and its hard to put into words. Because....

3. Crown. Where last year their show was arguably distracting visually and scattered, this year they went all in the other way. Minimalist design but powerful and face kicking music. That doesn't mean they aren't telling a story with their show. Crown has really gone for being the intellectual corps with their show designs lately, and I enjoy that. (not to say that other shows aren't intellectual, nor am i saying that i don't enjoy shows that aren't intellectual, and so on....) This show is one that I am probably most excited to see develop throughout the year, as the closer can push them over the top and turn this into an instant classic. Right now its not right there. But its a show I am glad Crown is doing, i feel like its only a show that crown can do with how freaking difficult this book is. Almost like this team has been waiting years to do this show and to get the right members in order to pull it off.

4. Blue Stars. I am typically mild to cold on their shows, especially lately. I always come into the season wanting to be pleasantly surprised, well at the cinecast I was blown away by the blue stars. Unfortunately I only saw this in theaters, because this show seems to have a lot more going on than we saw. Visually the blue stars are on point and look great with their traditional stars look, while really pushing the envelope visually. Fortunately the stages look like stages, unlike the matrix/bourne show where the skyline wasnt up until finals week. The juggler was definitely a treat, but I want to see all the other things going on. I just want to see this show again, badly, and thats why it lands 4th on my list. On top of this, they come out with the Blue Stars sound that we know and love from 2008-2010.

5. Bluecoats. Oh bluecoats. If only I could have gone to Akron to see the show in person, maybe it would be in my top 3. the cinecast likely did not do the effects justice, as they throw their noise from side to side. But i was definitely impressed by this show, the guts that it took to design this show, and the ability of these members to perform it this well so early on. It is hard not to compare this to Tilt from last year, because we definitely would not have this show without the success of Tilt. And overall I already prefer Kinetic Noise to Tilt, despite having less obvious visual references to the theme. Although the hamster balls are fun to watch, and how the MMs interact with them is evident of great design. Tilt had some great moments in it that stand out, but Kinetic Noise has many more WOW! moments spread throughout the production that to me give it the edge.

• Like 1

1. Bluecoats - modern, challenging, daring and risky, awesome ballad, a look at the future...and fun

2. Cadets - my old stand by of course. Grew up loving them when I was in HS. Love Shosty, love their drill, love their performance levels. A bit traditional

3. Troopers - excellent show, power, great ballad, best staging for troop in years

4. Crown - Music, music, music...brass, brass, brass, and that percussion line is very tasty. One of the best guards in DCI. Oh, HOLY POWERFUL brass line :)

5. Cavaliers - best show from them since 2010. Love the drill, the charts are fun and challenging, guard is well integrated...just need to clean. Show is a blast!

I will not comment on anyone I have not seen yet. BD just thrilled me last year, as did SCV. But in fairness I will wait until I see them live, and others.

Boston is moving up the ranks on my favorites for this year. Still some work to do.

1. Blue stars. Hands down. So much improvement from 2012, juggler, etc... as usual very dirty early season but still extremely well performed considering the difficulty of the show.

2. Cadets. Watching this show is suspenseful, I was sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time. So much movement, the music is extremely driving. Perfect design, imo. haters gonna hate.

3. Blue Knights. I'm gonna give them the gold star for improvement, they are one of the big wigs now and their show this year will only take them forward. Killer brass and percussion.

4. The soprano section. Like, does this need an explanation?

Edited by sop sop sop sop sop
  • Like 1

Top 5 ..so far. I'll see more shows like Oregon,,Academy, Cascades, and Spirit at DATR in a few weeks. Academy may crack this list from what I am hearing. So...in this order:

1. Bluecoats- I was amazed in the movie theater when I first saw them. Found some video on YouTube post theater showing. I, like others,thought the theater sound didn't represent the corps as it actually is in a live or well recorded show. After listening through other channels, I have to say, the opener to this show-(the John Adams piece)- is just absolutely incredible. Might go down as one of my favorites of all time. Anything John Adams I like on the field... Particualary if you "let it breathe" as the Bluecoats do with this 5 minute opener. I really like how this piece is arranged, Particualary great effect with the 360 sound thing they do at the end of the piece. I can listen to it forever and a day. Bon Iver is not a band I am fond of. But "Woods", is something amazing. To hear the "voice"of the band in that Euphonium/Baritone arrangement, is something beautiful. The drum feature and closer fit together extremely well with the rest of the show. The white noise ending is unique, and cooI right now. But I have a feeling this will change soon. I have probably listened to or watched this show more than any other so far this Summer. I don't think I will ever get tired of it. It will be in my rotation of shows. Similar to Star 90 and BD 88, that get played nearly everyday while I am in the car.

2. Blue Knights- All of the West Corps touring corps other than BK, BD, and SCV- I need to catch up on. I came home late the night of Stanford, and caught BK just as they were going on the FN. Admittedly, BK is my hometown corps. But it hasn't been every year that I've liked them. This year though, like Bluecoats, the music is arranged wonderfully. I like it as well that they are not taking a traditional drum corps approach. The opener just seems to quietly flow. It forces you to follow it into resolution. We get an incredible array of sound as an eventual reward as the show progresses. Although I see right now it is an incomplete show, I understand why. I lived through Denver's weather in May and early June. The weather sucked complete ### around here. It rained everyday, and did not get above the 60's for the entire month. We were "Seattle South" in May. Rehearsal time may have been cut short for the corps in spring training because of it. I figure by DATR, this will blossom to one beautiful show, just like last years surprise fan favorite.

3. Santa Clara Vanguard- I have been waiting to hear a Shaw arranged piece that explored new and innovative ground in brass arrangement for awhile. Much like the 06 and 10 years he had at Phantom. I thought this was going to be Leonardo and his Flying Machines a few years back- but that never seemed to develop as the opener I hoped it would be. His arrangements have been fantastic over the last few years with the theatrical shows -don't get me wrong. But with Virus Attacks this year, I feel it IS that arrangment I was hoping for. I would prefer to see the percussion breaks shortened a bit here to let brass shine...(.just a little bit). But overall the opener is a monster. Signature Pete Weber drill, and the theme of the show, as of now, is very present...which I can't say for a lot of shows I have seen so far.. Pure Imagination's arrangment and subsequent visual accompanying it, is something great. I think this part of the show is going to develop into something wonderful by DCI Minnesota (as Scherazade did last year during its ballad sequence). I think this show models the agressive and innovative music of the 97-00 era of SCV, with the theater/storyteller SCV years of 85-92. That is like a Reese's Cup- two great flavors in one. It will likely move to my number 1 by seasons end.

4. Madison Scouts- When I saw their show on the FN preview, then one night later at the theater, I was very impressed. Though the suitcases did strike me as rather VK- ish, ( think 90 and 92 with the tourist running around in the show) it is still great entertainment for me. And that is always what it's been about when I see Madison. While rather old school, I still enjoy the feeling of this show as it is jazzy, energetic and fun. If you bring a piece onto the field from one of my favorite shows of all time, (the 88 BD Happy Days piece) -and do a company front with it- I am sold. Boerma's arrangements are done very well with an agressive drill to match. This does bring back the Entertaining and jazz Scouts to me that I love. While I don't think we will see "louder, faster, higher", with 90's Boerma writing- I do appreciate Boerma writing the show with that signature high soprano sound and the jazz flavor he's known for. I commented last year that my friend wanted the soloist from the Ellis piece on a G horn. Since then, I have raised him by showing him video of Scott Dean's work with a B flat in 04 BD, and will bring him back in the fold with this years brass brass book for the Scouts. Nice sound overall. And I really like that they are scoring in the 70's going into July 4. I believe what Boo once said, "When Madison is good, it's good for all of drum corps".

5 Crown- The movie theater I saw this performance in had the volume turned up to 11. That was a great thing. Particularly when these guys came on. What a sound! This years show is the show I have always wanted Crown to do- a Belshazzar's Feast remake, or similar type of music. While not as chock full of notes as other years, the horn book is still stunning. While I would like a greater presence of Hell and emergence visually represented more in the theme- I find myself listening to the music more and more this early season. Crown is doing an excellent job of intensity in their horn playing-Particualary on the opening hit. I am likely going to vote for the ballad of this show as one of the best ever, when DCP has that "best ever" thread. I am not as thrilled yet with the closer as I want to be- but it will come. This is one of the shows I will say come August, I am anticipating in final product.

Honorable Mention: BAC and Cadets

Jury is still out: Blue Devils and Cavaliers

Have not seen, but looking forward with anticipation: Oregon Crusaders, Crossmen, Academy, and Phantom Regiment.

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 2

So far:

Cadets

SCV

Blue Devils

Cavaliers

Phantom Regiment/Blue Knights (hard to choose right now)