Cadets and Innovation

Offended is a little strong, isn't it? You feel how you feel, but I guess don't take your wife and kids to swim meets, wrestling, or ballet...

Offended is not strong and I am not the only one who has commented or complained about some of crowns males members.

Also, your screen name.

You must have a dirty mind if you think there is something sexual about my screen name or just think like a pig. . Swim, wrestling meets you expect to see whatever but crown started 2 years ago with the pants that that hide very little..People sitting around me also don't like or want to see crowns junk.It is IMO unprofessional. Maybe would would prefer seeing a women's panties next year on crown's guard. If there was not an issue then why are some wearing dance belts??

You must have a dirty mind if you think there is something sexual about my screen name or just think like a pig. . Swim, wrestling meets you expect to see whatever but crown started 2 years ago with the pants that that hide very little..People sitting around me also don't like or want to see crowns junk.It is IMO unprofessional. Maybe would would prefer seeing a women's panties next year on crown's guard. If there was not an issue then why are some wearing dance belts??

You're right that I was childish. Edited by chris ncsu

Oh sure.. if you, me, or anyone else here referred to Guardling here as a " Crying Eunuch" ( or some such) and put a LOL ! at the end of it, Guardling would not object ? And you'd come to his defense and ask me and others to appreciate its humor, or" its context", or what not ? I don't think so. For your quest for proper " context ", Lincoln, my response was in reply to his repeated claims over the last few days that I have " no character".... that I show no "respect "... that I am " insulting ". That I apparently ( in his view ) " make things up "., and on and on. I can give, and take a joke ( I believe ). But now its really gotten sort of redundant and lame with him. My reply, for your " context ", was to point out his hypocrisy, and utilized as my example a recent example of his apparently making up a phrase from back in the day was both insulting, and something nobody I know ( and I know a lot of people ) has ever even heard of before ( ie " BAC" standing for " Boston Always Crying " ). For additional " context " that you are seeking, Guardling's timing for this Corps insult was at a time when this Corps was struggling in scores and placements., and it was put on Boston's own thread. I only utilized this example here today because he has been yapping about giving Corps " respect " for years now on here. And so with his last few days of insults I just wanted to provide one and all about the " context " upon which Guardling here is providing his commentary about " lack of character "... " disrespect of Corps ".... and yada yada. So for your consideration, that is some additional timing and " context " for you to chew on Lincoln.

Yikes. this is funnier than usual, I speak to many Boston people who also have names for other corps etc etc. Its been like that forever. was it that bad? I know alot worse for some corps. Youre searching but thats ok, it really is. Im not the one responsible for thread shut downs. even now it's all about you now isnt it. If in fact it isnt then then why have I got nice responses from other Boston people. Save it Dan. As far as insults show me that you do not write how people are misguided, etc etc lots of words and quite often AS I said you cant just make your point, your opinion , no you have a nasty editorial ,,,,always, Carry on you usually do.Maybe get back to the thread and end this nonsense once and for all. it is what adults do.

Edited by GUARDLING

Win or lose, the Cadets are a model for consistency. They are rarely outside the top 4. They have a good donor base though I suspect Hop wishes it could be better. They have a distinctive brand which is very marketable. They retain membership well. Hop continually expresses the sentiment that "winning gold" is not the primary goal of the organization. It's an added benefit of the philosophy that is engendered to its membership which is hard work is its own reward. Surely, young adults go there to have a shot at winning, but most go because they want to be a Cadet first. That would be my reason to do it were I a young buck again.

Regarding the shows, the problem has never been a reluctance to attempt something that is perceived as avant garde. Rather, it has been in its execution. For instance, in 2008, the idea was to stage a dramatic play on the field. It was a sound idea; however, its focus was too broad, and the content was too mature for us to suspend disbelief that the actors weren't young adults. Yet, the music and marching were great, and the design staff pulled off something that wasn't attempted before. So what if it placed fifth? It still was a success.

This year's show is SOLID, but as of now, it's incomplete. Be patient. Even if it doesn't win, it's still going to be one of my favorites for years to come. Calm down, Chicken Littles. The sky is not falling...

As to the uniform, it's fine. It works. I wouldn't mind some flexibility from the alumni base if every few years the design staff could use something different as long as it advanced a show theme. If you pressed the current membership, however, I think most of them think it's cool to wear the maroon and gold. I certainly think it's cool even without the pants stripe.

• Like 3

Win or lose, the Cadets are a model for consistency. They are rarely outside the top 4. They have a good donor base though I suspect Hop wishes it could be better. They have a distinctive brand which is very marketable. They retain membership well. Hop continually expresses the sentiment that "winning gold" is not the primary goal of the organization. It's an added benefit of the philosophy that is engendered to its membership which is hard work is its own reward. Surely, young adults go there to have a shot at winning, but most go because they want to be a Cadet first. That would be my reason to do it were I a young buck again.

Regarding the shows, the problem has never been a reluctance to attempt something that is perceived as avant garde. Rather, it has been in its execution. For instance, in 2008, the idea was to stage a dramatic play on the field. It was a sound idea; however, its focus was too broad, and the content was too mature for us to suspend disbelief that the actors weren't young adults. Yet, the music and marching were great, and the design staff pulled off something that wasn't attempted before. So what if it placed fifth? It still was a success.

This year's show is SOLID, but as of now, it's incomplete. Be patient. Even if it doesn't win, it's still going to be one of my favorites for years to come. Calm down, Chicken Littles. The sky is not falling...

As to the uniform, it's fine. It works. I wouldn't mind some flexibility from the alumni base if every few years the design staff could use something different as long as it advanced a show theme. If you pressed the current membership, however, I think most of them think it's cool to wear the maroon and gold. I certainly think it's cool even without the pants stripe.

I think youre right. I do also believe that many do go to the Cadets to be a Cadet, which is a great thing.

• Like 2

They retain membership well. Hop continually expresses the sentiment that "winning gold" is not the primary goal of the organization. It's an added benefit of the philosophy that is engendered to its membership which is hard work is its own reward. Surely, young adults go there to have a shot at winning, but most go because they want to be a Cadet first. That would be my reason to do it were I a young buck again.

I liked some of BRASSO's posts as well as GUARDLING's. Should be some common ground there in theory. Blessed be the peacemakers. Starting fresh below.

Some of my first exposure to Hop's philosophy when I came in cold last off-season with my mello son was reading the backs of t-shirts the kids were wearing with his quotes. Best one was "If you think your summer is going to be fun, don't come here. - George Hopkins". The idea is if you want to be as good as the expectation is in the Cadets, then you have to give up fun. They sneak it in nevertheless. And the nmber of people auditioning may have set a new record; somewhat intimidating going in there with my high schooler and the gym is packed with hundreds of college student Cadet wannabes. They definitely aren't begging anyone to do it, except after untimely injuries.

• Like 1

Nice score tonite for the Cadets.

• Like 3

I liked some of BRASSO's posts as well as GUARDLING's. Should be some common ground there in theory. Blessed be the peacemakers. Starting fresh below.

Some of my first exposure to Hop's philosophy when I came in cold last off-season with my mello son was reading the backs of t-shirts the kids were wearing with his quotes. Best one was "If you think your summer is going to be fun, don't come here. - George Hopkins". The idea is if you want to be as good as the expectation is in the Cadets, then you have to give up fun. They sneak it in nevertheless. And the nmber of people auditioning may have set a new record; somewhat intimidating going in there with my high schooler and the gym is packed with hundreds of college student Cadet wannabes. They definitely aren't begging anyone to do it, except after untimely injuries.

The people that join the Cadets have a different idea of fun from most kids. Hard work and striving for perfection IS fun, and I'm sure they look back on all of those times fondly. This could really be said of any corps, but I think it's especially fitting for the kids in the Cadets.

• Like 3

Body movement is the new thing only because the corps are a bunch of lemmings who all follow each other. Body movement is also cheesy and laughable. So if Cadets are resisting this awesomely new and innovative cheese, the Cadets are my favorite corps!! Substance over style every day of the week.

Simultaneous demand cheesy and laughable? Okay then.

• Like 1