Clifton 7/5

Agreed. Numbers management is about ranking. Crown came on and brass gets a number. BD follows and is ranked under or over Crown but room is left for Cadets to be fit in there.

Are you refering to the tenth-thenth-tenth thing? Look at how often that happens, including that same night by other judges. I don't see the problem, especially if the groups are truly perfoming at the same level with the same level book. If that is the case the judge then has to look at the value of one tenth of a point and use that to avoid ties. You find that difference that you think does exist at that show and then write down what you feel you can honestly justfy. I think it really exciting that this early in the season we have judges having to use the value of a tenth to separate groups. It is saying that the next nigt, and in this particular case, any one of those three brass lines could beat the other. That makes drum corps more fun to follow and hopefully the entertainment value go up. It has to be tough. I would not want to have to make those close decisions.

This gets me to think that there should be a database somewhere that lists ALL judges and their bio's...Of course just because they may have a great pedigree doesn't make them a great judge....but I think it can be very helpful and useful information none the less...

Once upon a time, DCI actually had this and fans/members seemed pleased and respected most judges, even in disagreement.

Then came along frustrated parents who brought along their Southern football style razzing and worse.

Judges (and families of the judges) were bothered at home and business by some well meaning, others not so much.

Even a few cases of threats, challenges of collusion, and many bad words. Some even attempted to influence judges for future shows.

Schools and businesses where judges were employed did not look favorably on this, spouses and children even less.

One notable drum judge was harangued by his own mother for many, many months because she liked one corps' line, he another.

Judges' bios and contact info slipped into oblivion. Now they are not always announced even at shows.

Edited by xandandl

One notable drum judge was harangued by his own mother for many, many months because she liked one corps' line, he another.

Judges' bios and contact info slipped into oblivion. Now they are not always announced even at shows.

They can hide their Biographies, but they can't hide from their mothers.

You marched in 1989? I just want to say you guys sounded amazing and you should've won.

Thanks. It was a truly amazing summer. I don't really think about the placement any more. That crowd reaction at finals however stays with me every day. Waymire taught mellos and french horns, as well as headed up things when Dan Farrell wasn't around. Our section easily had our best performance at finals. If you even blinked, those marching french horns would crack a note. The end of the opener still makes me smile every time I hear it. Unison high G. No cracks and loud as hell. I think it was the only time no one cracked it.

Thanks again.

Edited by phan771
  • Like 1

Thanks. It was a truly amazing summer. I don't really think about the placement any more. That crowd reaction at finals however stays with me every day. Waymire taught mellos and french horns, as well as headed up things when Dan Farrell wasn't around. Our section easily had our best performance at finals. If you even blinked, those marching french horns would crack a note. The end of the opener still makes me smile every time I hear it. Unison high G. No cracks and loud as hell. I think it was the only time no one cracked it.

Thanks again.

Your memorable recounting and similar is part of what prompted Cadets to use concert french horns this summer rather than the imitations.

Edited by xandandl

Agreed. Numbers management is about ranking. Crown came on and brass gets a number. BD follows and is ranked under or over Crown but room is left for Cadets to be fit in there.

Are you refering to the tenth-thenth-tenth thing? Look at how often that happens, including that same night by other judges. I don't see the problem, especially if the groups are truly perfoming at the same level with the same level book. If that is the case the judge then has to look at the value of one tenth of a point and use that to avoid ties. You find that difference that you think does exist at that show and then write down what you feel you can honestly justfy. I think it really exciting that this early in the season we have judges having to use the value of a tenth to separate groups. It is saying that the next nigt, and in this particular case, any one of those three brass lines could beat the other. That makes drum corps more fun to follow and hopefully the entertainment value go up. It has to be tough. I would not want to have to make those close decisions.

I see your point, but consider some scenarios:

If you think BD is two or three tenths above Crown on both/either side of the sheet, you do have room for Cadets in between. No problems. But if you do that just to have room on both subcaptions (not a "true" rating), that is 4-5 tenths total, enough for one judge to call the show. And, remembering that though trying to avoid reading recaps or to have per-show bias, every judge going into this show knew it would be a tight race.

Or, you right down exactly what you think the differece is between Crown and BD. You know that leaves little room for Cadets in there, but it does leave room and allows for a one tenth total spread if he felt that was appropriate:

Was-

Crown 81, 80 = 16.1

BD 82, 81 = 16.3

Cadets 83, 82 = 16.5

Could have fit Cadets in with:

81, 81 = 16.2

82, 80 = 16.2

80, 82 = 16.2

or other combination, though a subcaption spread given just for the total spread gives the wrong message and falsely represents the judge's exact take on what he heard.

Write down true score for BD, being fair and true to where things were in relation to Crown. Place Cadets where they belong in ranking using appropriate rating as close as possible. Avoid false spreads.

I get the argument about leaving room in both subcaptions, but think there is a lot to consider, and especially when the groups are this strong. This early in the season, I would want to know to the tenth exactly how a judge thinks I compare to my competitive peers, knowing that winning it all or coming in second is often decided by those same tenths.

Edited by phan771

Did she make him move out of the house as a result ?

She didn't let him back after tour. (You can authenticate with the judge himself. J.P. amongst his initials)

Mothers and Fathers need to be good and kind to their children. Afterall, they need to remember that their kids get to choose their nursing home someday.

Edited by BRASSO