Criticizing the "Kids"

Seen-it-all. From what I understand, this soloist had consistently played this particular solo well the entire season, except this one performance. The staff made the right choice and the soloist had one bad performance.

And he got raked over the coals for it. Then and since, with the word "choke" thrown around liberally. Fair? Unfair? That's up to the individual to decide, I suppose.

But if there is a talented singer who performs very well and does everything they are asked to do at a very high level of quality night after night, they might still get called out by the critics on DCP and ridiculed simply because people don't like singing in drum corps. Again I ask, fair? Unfair? I've never really thought about it before in these kinds of direct comparisons, so I think it's an interesting thing to ponder.

isn't placing all the blame and umbrage on the staff kind of taking the agency out of the members' hands? If you'd have told me when I was marching that I was a cog in a designer's idea, I'd have responded that a designer's 'idea' was nothing without my talent, and that he should be thanking me every day that I deigned to give his concept life.

which is highly arrogant, but should be the attitude of every marcher.

if you say that members aren't responsible for their performance flaws, isn't that just a roundabout way of also taking away the credit for their success?

Well put, and the overwhelming majority of instructors and designers I know are not shy about crediting the performers they work with and their talents. As you said, in many cases, it is that membership talent and their work ethic that informs how the design teams put these shows together.

How about the "emo kid" in Cadets 2007 show. He was criticized heavily by people on here. HEAVILY.

I recall some personal attacks on the Red Queen from 2006 as well. Although I wouldn't classify any of that stuff as nearing any semblance of constructive criticism.

Just typical internet d-baggery.

I recall some personal attacks on the Red Queen from 2006 as well. Although I wouldn't classify any of that stuff as nearing any semblance of constructive criticism.

Ahhh, I was over seas in 2006 and had never even heard of Drum corps planet.

There are two things which grind my gears.

One is insulting the talent of a player because they messed up a very exposed part of a show, like a solo.

The other is booing the performance after the show.

Im as competitive as they come, but DCI is more than just the score. At the very worst i will be neutral at a show and not clap. This happens fron time to time, but thats because of the design not the performers.

But people do criticize specific members, on here and social media. Alums that bully current members for having a beard, alums that go on tyraids on facebook posts about specific people in the pictures. People who criticize a singer as being marginal at best and only getting the gig because she is related to the designer.

Criticism should be made when timely. I remember a few years ago when the blue stars were in TOC, they had a low brass feature that was a bunch of runs. This is the first show of the season. It sounded awful, but its a very difficult part. The staff shouldn't have put that part out there in that condition, and my criticism was of the staff choosing to do that, not the MMs for flubbing their notes.

• Like 2

I thought we couldn’t criticize the kids on here because of the Terms of Service, against the rules. I recalled being banned for a week by calling out a poorly preformed solo; of course, it was by a mod that had marched that corps, so not saying but maybe

But yeah, today’s kids, they can’t take it; especially band kids. Band kids have always been a bit soft. Corps kids use to be nails but they don’t exit any more. I blame their parents really, they’re the ones that can’t really take it and pass it off to their kids. Ever look at who is sitting around you at a show? It’s usually ‘not management material’ . Plus we’ve all seen some current or recent marching members on here flipping out about a begin comment on show design as if we just BBQed their puppy. And then there are some of the other DCP posters...(one of us, one of us)

And of course DCI has to be all rainbows and puppy propaganda pretending that leaning to roll on the ground for 32 counts is a valuable life skill. Just part of the sales job plus it makes it easier to pretend that something like a syphilis outbreak on tour is the exception

• Like 1

I was just about to post about her...a wonderful young gal with a marvelous voice. I also recall derogatory comments on her appearance as well, which I REALLY found out-of-bounds.