FanNetwork Poll

FanNetwork 2015  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Have you spent any money on FanNetwork in the past and present?

• Yes, I have in the past and Yes, I have this year
    • Yes, I have in the Past and No, I have not this year
    • No, I have not in the past and Yes, I have this year
    • No, I have not in the past and No, I have not this year

Incidentally, those fans that do not particularly care for the loss of the former retrievals of former decades DCI shows, might want to think about the very real possibilty of losing the last few sesaons of shows... including all of this seasons DCI Corps shows... to future retrieval.

As it stands right now, once the season is over, there is no guarantee at all you'll ever see any of these current DCI Corps shows ever again on replay, nor on Disc, Bluray, or any other format. Not unless one pirates this from some other personal source or outlet. Something to think about anyway, as DCI attempts to figure out what to do next, that will pass legal muster.

Edited by BRASSO

You don't know this. For a host of reasons. First off, you don't know what financial costs DCI incurred with the change over. Secondly, you don't know what the costs are to them in their new platform, nor how it relates to the costs of last platform. Thirdly, you don't know what antocipated costs they expect moving forward, and what revenues they expect to offset this. Fourthly, there is the PR costs ( a communication channel to customer breakdown that became an unmitigated disaster) that could potentially translate to the loss of future potential customers that have been scared away from future purchases. There are other reasons too, why this could be a bigger financial problem than just the lose of initial " 40% of revenue" that you are telling us " they expected ".

I will willing to see what DCI eventually does with Phase 2 of this new rollout, that they tell us they are working on, and will announce after the season. DCI really needs to get a handle on preserving for customers their former shows of Corps.

Everything you say is true.

My information comes second hand. I don't know what the financial impacts are expected to be, and you're re-raising questions that I brought up in another thread that I'm sure you saw. The only thing I know is that, if the presumption of 40% is true, then there must be a financial benefit to do it. It's undoubtedly tied to a survey result that showed a "majority" (see footnote) of FN subscribers did so for the streaming content.

All of the presumptions about fan impact that you make are valid but, we can only hope, were included in the decision process of the financial impact. Thankfully we'll see that impact in a couple of years when the 990's are released.

Despite the (possibly expected) blowback this may be a financial success if DCI-Live returns more money to the member corps than the FN did.

Edit to add: Of course, it's entirely reasonable to presume that, during this transition to the new platform, DCI was blindsided by the massive flood of copyright enforcement that was about to hit. Most everything about this enforcement that I've read about outside of drum corps suggests it began last fall, likely towards the end of the transition implementation program that (one can hope) was in place.

Footnote: I don't have the reference and it's not the Who Are You study. Searching for the source I'm sure I've seen...

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Yet, I read here where someone wants a streamed show to be available for 24-hours (or so) so that WE can watch when it's convenient for us.

DCI offered it, and I took their offer. Now it's not offered and I miss it. So now I'm supposed to guilt trip about it?

• Like 4

bought in the past, bought this year. Lack of DVR makes the price seem too high...hoping it's fixed next year

When I signed up at the start of the season, it was well known that the DVR function would not be available. I can understand your frustration if you signed up before that was announced and then you had to pay the same price for a lesser product. However, it would be poor business practice to allow the DVR function if DCI's lawyers felt they could be sued by this, as something like that could easily result in the end of DCI.

actually when the option to sign up was formally announced, that's when we knew no DVR. literally days before do or die time.

My understanding is that they expected to lose 40% of their revenue in the switch to the new platform.

The only response you'll likely get is that this is their new platform, they expect upgrades in the future, and they're sorry to see you go.

It will likely only be a problem if that 40% expectation is much less than reality.

40% of one of their best products is a HUGE number. And if anything, it has really shown the spotlight on the need to improve customer service.

Everything you say is true.

My information comes second hand. I don't know what the financial impacts are expected to be, and you're re-raising questions that I brought up in another thread that I'm sure you saw. The only thing I know is that, if the presumption of 40% is true, then there must be a financial benefit to do it. It's undoubtedly tied to a survey result that showed a "majority" (see footnote) of FN subscribers did so for the streaming content.

All of the presumptions about fan impact that you make are valid but, we can only hope, were included in the decision process of the financial impact. Thankfully we'll see that impact in a couple of years when the 990's are released.

Despite the (possibly expected) blowback this may be a financial success if DCI-Live returns more money to the member corps than the FN did.

Edit to add: Of course, it's entirely reasonable to presume that, during this transition to the new platform, DCI was blindsided by the massive flood of copyright enforcement that was about to hit. Most everything about this enforcement that I've read about outside of drum corps suggests it began last fall, likely towards the end of the transition implementation program that (one can hope) was in place.

Footnote: I don't have the reference and it's not the Who Are You study. Searching for the source I'm sure I've seen...

I think many fans are trying to be understanding of the licensing issues.

I think, IMO, the frustration really boils down all to one thing:

how DCI handled it. Until the original outcry on here was pointed out, nothing. Then promised dates for info were missed. then at the 25th hour, info came out, and the pricing was better than a seasons pass plus finals combined was before, the loss of very favored features was kind of hidden unless you went digging.

I'm in sales. Customer happiness and timeliness of information delivery keeps people buying. While yes, DCi is the only game in town ( on this side, you have DCA which only offers one weekends worth of live feeds), the way customer service was handled, IMO, far outweighs complaints about feeds etc. In all my years of buying only once did the streaming cause a real issue, the year they first aired finals and the company wouldn't believe DCi on how much room they needed to handle volume.

The last few years prior to this, it seemed DCI was FINALLY turning a corner on openness, honesty, and customer service. The way they handled this was a huge step backwards. I know some people that were so mad that instead of calling Indy to order tickets, they went through corps instead because at least they could trust the corps.

• Like 3

If my son weren't marching, I don't think they'd get my dollars. Between college and corps fees, I can't travel to shows this year, so I'll enjoy every minute of the show in San Antonio and watch the best I can live. I really miss the DVR option. I didn't watch a lot of shows after the season ended, but even if they could leave things up for a couple of days, it would mollify me. I held off ordering until Whitewater, and I just couldn't take missing out. If this is the way it will be forever, though, I think I'll start saving my money so I can travel to more live shows. I don't have the tv/sound system to really enjoy the live stream properly.

Well technically speaking, the mics are placed well in advance of any corps performance so really the corps are putting their amps close to the mics...

In all honesty though, where should they put the mics? They have one dead center behind the drum major (sometimes it ends up in front of the drum major if it's tight) and they have 2 on either side. They can't have the mics located right along the sideline as equipment, props, even drill ends up along there...

The choppy video and audio are internet issues on your end. Either it's your connection speed, your PC or something up with your ISP but it's not on DCI's end. When numerous others, including myself, are having no issues at all with choppy video or audio, the problem can't be with DCI. It's not like they can target you individually and say give him choppy video.

Hope it all gets better for you though!

...you put the mics at the box (and you only need two), which is where the programs are pointing their product. Anywhere else is artificial and NOT what the designers intended. I've had this discussion with quite a few really good sound guys and crowd noise is a universal reason, and then all the sideline equipment gymnastics to lessen the impact of the pit? Well, I say "figure it out!" I can get a GREAT recording using my tiny H2, depending on where I place the device.

The last few years prior to this, it seemed DCI was FINALLY turning a corner on openness, honesty, and customer service. The way they handled this was a huge step backwards. I know some people that were so mad that instead of calling Indy to order tickets, they went through corps instead because at least they could trust the corps.

I hope that somehow they understand that the communication issue is a big part of this.

I also hope the next time that the Powers-that-Be meet, they discuss ways to improve the situation.

Edited by Lincoln