Suicidal Judges

I've had this question before and maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. How does that judge fellow who runs around the whole show with the percussion line, while darting about trying not to die possibly judge that caption? I see him talking into his little mini tape player but he must be saying, "holy snhikes that was close! WHOA! I just about got ran over...again!"

• Like 3

I've had this question before and maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. How does that judge fellow who runs around the whole show with the percussion line, while darting about trying not to die possibly judge that caption? I see him talking into his little mini tape player but he must be saying, "holy snhikes that was close! WHOA! I just about got ran over...again!"

I've always wondered the same thing. There was a drum judge who caused a mellophone player to almost trip at the end of the opener finals night in our show in 2000.

Edited by 2000Cadet

The truth is they are a nuisance and should be relegated to the sideline. In 1996 Crossmen a drum judge took out three contras, myself included, when we were backing up while he had his back to us. The four us ended up in a doggypile at the end of the opener. Slightly comical, but the truth is someone could get injured. Fortunately the bell of my horn was the only casualty.

• Like 4

The truth is they are a nuisance and should be relegated to the sideline. In 1996 Crossmen a drum judge took out three contras, myself included, when we were backing up while he had his back to us. The four us ended up in a doggypile at the end of the opener. Slightly comical, but the truth is someone could get injured. Fortunately the bell of my horn was the only casualty.

Almost the same thing happened in 2000 Cadets. Next time you watch the DVD, check out side 1 at the end of the opener, right when the endpoint mellophone connects to the battery. He almost tripped over that judge.

I remember one time in '85 when the judge planted himself right in front of us (tenors) at a brief standstill. Just before we were supposed to take off again, two of us barked at him (MOVE AWAY. . . NOW!!!). Lucky for him he listened or he woulda gotten plowed over. Come to think of it, maybe we shouldn't have warned him :muahaha:

Edited by cf144
  • Like 2

Hmm... I kinda want some corps to include a judge trap in their drill... Just put the drumline in the center of the field, and then have the entire corps on the outline and jazz run into a 1 step interval box around the judge and the drum line... Then march out the tunnel with the judge trapped inside...

• Like 7

get them off the field. Drives me wacko.

As a Cadets Snare "Dad" in 2014, I noticed how frequently some of the field judges were not able or willing to adequately track the battery....makes it hard to give credit to the top box if you miss it. 2015 staging is making it much easier for the field guys.