Cavies/Scouts-Time for a change?

Interesting question that has come up before. But, from Madison's standpoint, and I am sure Cavaliers would feel the same, too much tradition (78 years) of success to change now. Also, too hard to get a quantifiable benefit. The answer would be NO!

There is perhaps one quantifiable benefit. We can get data on how many people have found their spouse while on tour:)

Its just a matter of time, imo, before both the Cavies, Scouts do not discriminate on one's anatomical parts. Its not a question of if.. just a matter of when. Its long overdue, imo. There is no modern justification or rationale for remaining stuck in the 50's, 60's on this gender discrimination stuff anymore.

At one time, Color Guards were all male... females only allowed in Percussion and/ or Brass. That gender discrimination came down in the 60's and Corps( like the Cadets ) went with Coed Guards after 20,30, years of all Male Guards. But not without a real fight from the older Cadets alums at the time. ( older Garfield Cadets Alums will tell you the heated resistance the Cadets got with that at the time.). But soon after, adjustments were made by all, fans included, and most people then just nonchalently wondered why it took so long for these Corps to being down those gender barriers in the Color Guards, and let the females into the once all male Guards.

The days when Corps can win a DCI title excluding more than 50% of the available talent pool has come and gone already too, imo. Neither the Scouts, nor the Cavs can beat BD, Cadets anymore with just all Male Corps. Its been a long time since either Corps has been Champion, ( 9 years, Cavs, 27 years, Scouts ) and it won't happen again if they keep these outdated gender discrimination policies. That said, I would not be in favor of a mandatory end to these outdated policies. Corps should be free to select their marchers like this, if thats what they want to continue to do.

Edited by BRASSO

Its just a matter of time, imo, before both the Cavies, Scouts do not discriminate on one's anatomical parts. Its not a question of if.. just a matter of when. Its long overdue, imo. There is no modern justification or rationale for remaining stuck in the 50's, 60's on this gender discrimination stuff anymore.

At one time, Color Guards were all male... females only allowed in Percussion and/ or Brass. That gender discrimination came down in the 60's and Corps( like the Cadets ) went with Coed Guards after 20,30, years of all Male Guards. But not without a real fight from the older Cadets alums at the time. ( older Garfield Cadets Alums will tell you the heated resistance the Cadets got with that at the time.). But soon after, adjustments were made by all, fans included, and most people then just nonchalently wondered why it took so long for these Corps to being down those gender barriers in the Color Guards, and let the females into the once all male Guards.

The days when Corps can win a DCI title excluding more than 50% of the available talent pool has come and gone already too, imo. Neither the Scouts, nor the Cavs can beat BD, Cadets anymore with just all Male Corps. Its been a long time since either Corps has been Champion, and it won't happen again if they keep these outdated gender discrimination policies. That said, I would not be in favor of a mandatory end to these outdated policies. Corps should be free to select their marchers like this, if thats what they want to continue to do.

Just a disclaimer, I did not type the above. I believe it's Brasso's prose. Somehow it says "AROD 24601" says (nothing against what you said Brasso:)).

Edited by AROD24601
  • Like 1

and this does not exclude same sex partners.so there ya go....lol

I probably know an equal amount....lol

ahh yes! That can be factored in as well.

Must not know your history, but you should look up Boy Scout Troop 111.

No I knew this, but unlike the name Madison Scouts- and still being labeled the Explorer Scouts....

The Cavies have ties obviously through their beginnings, but it has not been prominent since their early days- beside the all male tradition.

By the way- I like your Cowboys Star! Go Cowboys!!:)

Edited by wesleyrp

I can certainly understand the sentiment of prior members who wouldn't want their respective corps' traditions changed just as I wouldn't want the Cadets uniform changed. I think many people who march corps today are more accepting of Cavies and Madison's tradition and respect it.

True Nick, but the activity is promoted so much to a newer younger generation- The traditionalist maybe the minority soon enough

To eradicate the unique personalities of the all male corps, or the all female corps which were once also popular in DCI, makes each corps the same.

In education today, particularly in certain sub cultures of the U.S., single sex organizations are achieving opportunities and character development where multi-sexual enterprises have not been as successful.

Let the performer choose where and what will be to best advantage and growth rather than promoting a cookie-cutter approach to life and drum corps presentations.

• Like 1