San Antonio - Guard Perspective

Stop being nit-picky over ridiculous details.

If you think visual and color guard designers don't think at length about how the colors they use will compliment the moods of the show, you're the one being ridiculous.

Wear a dress shirt the same shade of green as those platforms with a tie the color of those guard uniforms and tell me how it suits you.

Edited by saxfreq1128

If you think visual and color guard designers don't think at length about how the colors they use will compliment the moods of the show, you're the one being ridiculous.

One being a guard designer doesn't make that person the go-to guru of what should and should not work. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's ineffective. I'm sure they're working on what they need to work on. You should read your signature once more.

• Like 3

Wear a dress shirt the same shade of green as those platforms with a tie the color of those guard uniforms and tell me how it suits you.

this is true BUT there are also times when the designer wants things to vanish and the focus on other things to stand out. One has to know the intent.

• Like 1

You would think Crown is scoring 20 in guard and Cadets are scoring a 1 based on some of the eye roll inducing comments in this thread. Instead the guards are separated by a few tenths and scoring in the same range. Two nights ago cadets outscore Crown in substance. And they've been outscoring SCV. I get that personal preferences vary... But wow.

• Like 3

this is true BUT there are also times when the designer wants things to vanish and the focus on other things to stand out. One has to know the intent.

My point exactly. We cannot know what the designer had in mind when he/she picked the palate they did unless we speak directly to them.

• Like 3

One being a guard designer doesn't make that person the go-to guru of what should and should not work.

I thought this was a guard thread. My bad.

The Cadets are using panels in the front and back of the field that are playing off the colors in the guard uniforms, so it would seem the Cadets DO care about having a consistent color palette and just dropped the ball on the platforms. This isn't a huge deal to me, which is why I mentioned it as an aside, so please take it a little less personally.

You used the word "ineffective," but I didn't -- I said it was ugly. I'm not talking about GE or points, here.

The Cadets are using panels in the front and back of the field that are playing off the colors in the guard uniforms, so it would seem the Cadets DO care about having a consistent color palette and just dropped the ball on the platforms. This isn't a huge deal to me, which is why I mentioned it as an aside, so please take it a little less personally.

You used the word "ineffective," but I didn't -- I said it was ugly. I'm not talking about GE or points, here.

"Ugly" is relative. Your tastes are different from what other people consider beauty. After all, most drum corps fans consider drum corps an "art form" and with all art, what one considers ugly, another may consider it beautiful. But to keep harping on something that is the same color as grass is akin to griping over why the sky is blue.

• Like 3

My point exactly. We cannot know what the designer had in mind when he/she picked the palate they did unless we speak directly to them.

I agree! Intent is important. The tops aren't green, though, and they're painted with big numbers that are very visible, so I dunno -- are they meant to disappear?

Either way, my point was merely that they clash with the rest of what's going on, color wise, which is the case no matter the intent.

You used the word "ineffective," but I didn't -- I said it was ugly.

" ugly " is a personal observation. What you call " ugly " might be someone else's " beautiful or handsome ". Conversely, what you think is " beautiful or handsome", others might think is " ugly".

Neither is right... neither is wrong. Its all entirely in the personal domain of one's personal tastes in things.... color coordination, in particular. I see color paint on cars, homes, boats, etc and wonder what in Hades were these people thinking. But they might think the same on my possessions too, who knows... who cares.

Edited by BRASSO