San Antonio - Guard Perspective

That was last year. I think what people liked about it was that, for a show where the entire guard were the "extras" on a movie set, it was clever to see them treat the entire field like it was the studio: lights, cameras, dressing rooms, etc. So yeah, they get changed "in plain sight," because what we're seeing is everything backstage.

Pretty sure the reference is to the "Cabaret Voltaire" show of 2012. Almost the entire corps changed outfits in the middle of the show.

• Like 1

(Why, for example, isn't the raw simplicity of Crown's ballad this year reflected in the guard writing? -- why do they choose that moment, of all moments, to have a flag line, a sabre line, dancers, AND a corps writhing around under a bright red silk? Compare this use of red to PR 1996. It's overkill.)

Setting aside the rest, the corps under the red silk absolutely makes sense there.

Edit: Given that the brass members at that point presumably represent souls tormented in a lake of fire, it may be that the guard represents the demons who torture them. If so, that could be made clearer.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

I'll admit it, I barely watch the Guards, unless its a guard solost, dancer, or some such. Basically, my eyes and ears are drawn to what the Brass and / or Percussion sections are doing. So for me, its basically an eye candy criteria with Guard, and as a result my choice for " Best Guard " most years now is Phantom Regiment, with no other Guard is even remotely close.

Edited by BRASSO

Setting aside the rest, the corps under the red silk absolutely makes sense there.

Edit: Given that the brass members at that point presumably represent souls tormented in a lake of fire, it may be that the guard represents the demons who torture them. If so, that could be made clearer.

Agree 100% with the corps under the silk. Think it would be even more effective without the flags: that huge silk should be the main source of red on the field, in that moment, because red is a color that attracts your eye. So let it pull our eyes stage left. All the static (red guard uniforms + red flags scattered everywhere else) is not a very smart use of color. And it's a COLOR guard, so...

On the subject of bad use of color: Cadets: conspicuous green platforms + red/yellow guard outfits. No. Color palettes matter.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

Agree 100% with the corps under the silk. Think it would be even more effective without the flags: that huge silk should be the main source of red on the field, in that moment, because red is a color that attracts your eye. So let it pull our eyes stage left. All the static (red guard uniforms + red flags scattered everywhere else) is not a very smart use of color. And it's a COLOR guard, so...

On the subject of bad use of color: Cadets: conspicuous green platforms + red/yellow guard outfits. No. Color palettes matter.

I guess we should request they change the color of the grass too huh?

• Like 3

1. Her entire look, mannerisms, and voice fit the show theme best of all vocalists this year. Her presence helped place me in the mood (in more ways than one).

2. Again, that entire Boston performance was fantastic! Too bad there is so little room for Crusaders further up. Anxious to enjoy them again and again!

1. Down boy!

2. Any corps not in first can move up by executing better and a first place corps can open up the spread further by the same formular. Some shows may not be to the judges liking and will suffer in the visual area.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the reference is to the "Cabaret Voltaire" show of 2012. Almost the entire corps changed outfits in the middle of the show.

I thought of that after posting, but when does the guard change uniforms that year? The corps proper changing uni's is noticeable, as it's during a drum break (which is also why it never bothered me; if the Cadets can play-fight with sticks during a drum break to little complaint and win, other corps can do whatever they want). From what I remember, it's Dada patterns and gold caps beginning to end, but I admittedly haven't seen the show in awhile.

I *would* rewatch the show but DCI insists on making it difficult to watch archived shows.

I guess we should request they change the color of the grass too huh?

Save the jokes for when their guard gets better.

Boston has an great person vocal. Nothing like it this year in DCI. Why not add her great voice to a show/theme and production. It beats the over amped/unbalanced/ out of tuned stuff the other's put on the field.

Dave Veda is the new guard caption head for Madison and KC Michel is their new visual/program coordinator. They also added Michael James. Those guys came over from and helped strengthen Phantom Regiment a few years ago.

Edited by Madcityscout