San Antonio - Guard Perspective

Hi all,

thought I'd start a topic to discuss some of the guards from last night. Overall, I'm more than impressed by what these kids are doing these days and the level of achievement. I mean I know the show was indoors - but I'm still impressed by how little drops there are now - the consistency is incredible !

From the guards that stood out for me (good or bad)

SOA

Much better program this year. From the costume to the work they have - I feel that the design is a step up. Not sure I would start the show with a white flag (even though it is meant to represent surrender - I think) - it just doesn't fit with the guard who seems to be portraying fire. Another hard theme to pull off for the corps - but much better job from the guard program this year.

Mandarins

Always seem to have great performers - but who just can't spin together. I don't know if it's a lack of basics, or a great tech, but year after year, I find that they just stay super dirty throughout the year - but if I look at individual performers - they really know how to perform. It's a tough conundrum !

Madison Scouts

Whoever is in charge of coloration for this show -is a genius. From the guard uniform (down to the design on the shoes) to the flags to how color works in general to give Madison that "1950's saturated movie musical" feel - is awesome. Definitely a stronger guard for Madison this year (although I was one of the few who really liked them last year). The difficulty with this show is that it can easily be over performed to the point of being cheesy. Gene Kelly was never cheesy - and I'm not sure that the guard understands that - some of those facial expressions bring it over the edge. The mannequins with the pink dresses wouldn't have been my choice - but that aside, a very fun show to watch.

Boston Crusaders

I love watching this guard. They are mature performers who have great technique and know how to sell a theme. Great costuming and flag choices throughout really help sell it. Do not like that guard member signing (same thing with Troopers). It just takes away from the show.

Blue Stars

Love this guard design. The old time carnival costuming is incredibly rich and detailed, and they have one of the hardest equipment books out there - which is why they always end up being a bit dirtier - but I'll take their tricks anytime. Standout moment was that siamese twin flag spinning - such a great idea. Never a dull moment in this show and wonderful performers !

The Academy

I was pleasantly surprised by them. Guard has traditionally been one of their achilles heels. I feel that they started to really address it last year with Vanity Fair and have continued growing this year. Just a fun guard to watch. They understand their role and know how to sell a Mary Poppins theme without being obnoxious about it.

Phantom Regiment

I have mixed feeling about them. I think they are a great guard with great technique and the book is very musical. I feel that that the theme is keeping me from enjoying them more as it seems 'lite". A whole song about shopping - I don't know. The black hats look dorky from close up but are effective from far away. Great moment with dancers, flags and rifles in An American in Paris - not sure I would do a kick line though (again - a bit lite on thematic programming). They also need to look at equipment transitions (a pet peeve of mine). Right now they go to the front, pick up their equipment and get back in the drill before they start spinning - should be more organic.

The Cavaliers

I loved last years show - I think this year is a step back. Not sure the theme is coming across as it's basically seen by having them run or do a strongman muscle pose (which can look a little funny on the skinnier guys). The guys (especially weapons) obviously know how to spin and have great technique - but as with Phantom, I think they are being held back by the theme they need to interpret.

Troopers

Not a great show from them last night. Not sure I read the horse imagery from the guard other than their costumes. Would love to see them spin in and around the fences. Not a fan of the girl signing either. Overall, they need to really clean up this show guard wise as visually it isn't gelling yet. Not sure the black horse costuming works either - they tend to get lost among the rest of the guard - it's a strange look visually.

Vanguard

What a great concept. Love the costume design. The work is extremely musical and serves to highlight the music so much. Love the one handed sabre catch and the chain flag / real flag work in the ballad. Not sure about the dancer dancing with a piece of material though. The body movement used in the skeleton section is super cool and the copper flags look great. They need to work on consistency and timing. Everything seems amplified in this show and the smallest timing error really seems to stand out (like the flags doing duo work in the opener as they cross the field.

Crown

Without a doubt the best guard on the field this year. They were on fire last night. The costuming, writing, performance and demand are incredible. 30 rifles tossing a 5 -yes please !!!! I had to really strain to find anything wrong last night (a dance line was out of sync for 3 or 4 counts - that was about it). The ending with the gold flags is a let down - but everyone keeps saying it will change. No one should be beating Crown guard at this point - IMO !

Cadets

I won't lie. I've been critical of this guard. Overall the corps has such a great program - the guard should be contributing more to it. The flag line is basically arcing it in the back for the opener, and I'm not sure I always see the music reflected in the work - it's like sometimes they spin for spins sake. Still don't think the hoops and sticks add anything and still think their movement design is awkward. They are getting better - but that will only help max out performance - not design

Bluecoats

They didn't have the greatest run last night. Seemed super nervous and were making little mistakes left and right. I wasn't sure at the beginning of the season how they would be able to interpret this theme - but they have found some incredibly effective and orignal ways to make the music come to life visually - really great to watch. Awesome design team guard wise (lord knows I would have had a super hard time writing to that music !!!!)

Blue Devils

Another guard that didn't perform up to potential last night. I think judges might be rewarding their reputation more than the actual show on the field last night. Some messy moments and uncharacteristically cheesy things too (the oversize princess dress ???). The Blue Devils have a ton of little intricacies in their work that can't really be seen from far away - and I always appreciate that, but I do feel that they also get away with more as they can restage in free form with no equipment work and never seem to get called out on it. Individual responsibilities are not to the level of Crown - but the members commit to their performance 100% - which can hide some flaws.

My top 5 guards last night in order

Carolina Crown

Vanguard

Bluecoats

Blue Devils

Blue Stars

Later,

Mike

I may or may not agree with some things BUT I appreciate the review as others do also, especially from an experienced guard person. Very insightful perspective. thanks

Edited by GUARDLING

One guard not mentioned here is BK. I think the mirrors somewhat limit the guard staging, but I think they have the best color pallet in DCI this year (and last year too).

Crown is far and away the best guard of the season, though not my personal favorite (SCV). I think they're the best guard Crown's had since "A Second Chance" and that whackadoodle Adam Sage flag book.

Hi all,

thought I'd start a topic to discuss some of the guards from last night. Overall, I'm more than impressed by what these kids are doing these days and the level of achievement. I mean I know the show was indoors - but I'm still impressed by how little drops there are now - the consistency is incredible !

From the guards that stood out for me (good or bad)

SOA

Much better program this year. From the costume to the work they have - I feel that the design is a step up. Not sure I would start the show with a white flag (even though it is meant to represent surrender - I think) - it just doesn't fit with the guard who seems to be portraying fire. Another hard theme to pull off for the corps - but much better job from the guard program this year.

Mandarins

Always seem to have great performers - but who just can't spin together. I don't know if it's a lack of basics, or a great tech, but year after year, I find that they just stay super dirty throughout the year - but if I look at individual performers - they really know how to perform. It's a tough conundrum !

Madison Scouts

Whoever is in charge of coloration for this show -is a genius. From the guard uniform (down to the design on the shoes) to the flags to how color works in general to give Madison that "1950's saturated movie musical" feel - is awesome. Definitely a stronger guard for Madison this year (although I was one of the few who really liked them last year). The difficulty with this show is that it can easily be over performed to the point of being cheesy. Gene Kelly was never cheesy - and I'm not sure that the guard understands that - some of those facial expressions bring it over the edge. The mannequins with the pink dresses wouldn't have been my choice - but that aside, a very fun show to watch.

Boston Crusaders

I love watching this guard. They are mature performers who have great technique and know how to sell a theme. Great costuming and flag choices throughout really help sell it. Do not like that guard member signing (same thing with Troopers). It just takes away from the show.

Blue Stars

Love this guard design. The old time carnival costuming is incredibly rich and detailed, and they have one of the hardest equipment books out there - which is why they always end up being a bit dirtier - but I'll take their tricks anytime. Standout moment was that siamese twin flag spinning - such a great idea. Never a dull moment in this show and wonderful performers !

The Academy

I was pleasantly surprised by them. Guard has traditionally been one of their achilles heels. I feel that they started to really address it last year with Vanity Fair and have continued growing this year. Just a fun guard to watch. They understand their role and know how to sell a Mary Poppins theme without being obnoxious about it.

Phantom Regiment

I have mixed feeling about them. I think they are a great guard with great technique and the book is very musical. I feel that that the theme is keeping me from enjoying them more as it seems 'lite". A whole song about shopping - I don't know. The black hats look dorky from close up but are effective from far away. Great moment with dancers, flags and rifles in An American in Paris - not sure I would do a kick line though (again - a bit lite on thematic programming). They also need to look at equipment transitions (a pet peeve of mine). Right now they go to the front, pick up their equipment and get back in the drill before they start spinning - should be more organic.

The Cavaliers

I loved last years show - I think this year is a step back. Not sure the theme is coming across as it's basically seen by having them run or do a strongman muscle pose (which can look a little funny on the skinnier guys). The guys (especially weapons) obviously know how to spin and have great technique - but as with Phantom, I think they are being held back by the theme they need to interpret.

Troopers

Not a great show from them last night. Not sure I read the horse imagery from the guard other than their costumes. Would love to see them spin in and around the fences. Not a fan of the girl signing either. Overall, they need to really clean up this show guard wise as visually it isn't gelling yet. Not sure the black horse costuming works either - they tend to get lost among the rest of the guard - it's a strange look visually.

Vanguard

What a great concept. Love the costume design. The work is extremely musical and serves to highlight the music so much. Love the one handed sabre catch and the chain flag / real flag work in the ballad. Not sure about the dancer dancing with a piece of material though. The body movement used in the skeleton section is super cool and the copper flags look great. They need to work on consistency and timing. Everything seems amplified in this show and the smallest timing error really seems to stand out (like the flags doing duo work in the opener as they cross the field.

Crown

Without a doubt the best guard on the field this year. They were on fire last night. The costuming, writing, performance and demand are incredible. 30 rifles tossing a 5 -yes please !!!! I had to really strain to find anything wrong last night (a dance line was out of sync for 3 or 4 counts - that was about it). The ending with the gold flags is a let down - but everyone keeps saying it will change. No one should be beating Crown guard at this point - IMO !

Cadets

I won't lie. I've been critical of this guard. Overall the corps has such a great program - the guard should be contributing more to it. The flag line is basically arcing it in the back for the opener, and I'm not sure I always see the music reflected in the work - it's like sometimes they spin for spins sake. Still don't think the hoops and sticks add anything and still think their movement design is awkward. They are getting better - but that will only help max out performance - not design

Bluecoats

They didn't have the greatest run last night. Seemed super nervous and were making little mistakes left and right. I wasn't sure at the beginning of the season how they would be able to interpret this theme - but they have found some incredibly effective and orignal ways to make the music come to life visually - really great to watch. Awesome design team guard wise (lord knows I would have had a super hard time writing to that music !!!!)

Blue Devils

Another guard that didn't perform up to potential last night. I think judges might be rewarding their reputation more than the actual show on the field last night. Some messy moments and uncharacteristically cheesy things too (the oversize princess dress ???). The Blue Devils have a ton of little intricacies in their work that can't really be seen from far away - and I always appreciate that, but I do feel that they also get away with more as they can restage in free form with no equipment work and never seem to get called out on it. Individual responsibilities are not to the level of Crown - but the members commit to their performance 100% - which can hide some flaws.

My top 5 guards last night in order

Carolina Crown

Vanguard

Bluecoats

Blue Devils

Blue Stars

Later,

Mike

Boston has an great person vocal. Nothing like it this year in DCI. Why not add her great voice to a show/theme and production. It beats the over amped/unbalanced/ out of tuned stuff the other's put on the field.

Very good review!

I have to say, I found Boston's singer to be a wonderful addition. Her entire look, mannerisms, and voice fit the show theme best of all vocalists this year. Her presence helped place me in the mood (in more ways than one). All the vocalists last night were a positive, actually. Like you, I thought the Troopers' young lady was being asked a little too much, after running all around the field, but she nailed it.

I would not like to see extended length singing come to a corps' show, but these 'state of mind' enhancers using voice do work for me. Again, that entire Boston performance was fantastic! Too bad there is so little room for Crusaders further up. Anxious to enjoy them again and again!

So color me ignorant, but exactly how is guard work "written" and then taught? This is a serious question as I know absolutely nothing about guard other than the pretty colors of flags and unis and the "snap" sounds coming from rifles.

As always, mostly agree with everything you said. Only thing I think worth mentioning, is the weapon book for The Cadets opener is starting to look solid, and I think I'm the only one that thinks that while Bluecoats is great (possibly the best they've been? or 2010?), I still don't like most of their staging until after the ballad.

One guard not mentioned here is BK. I think the mirrors somewhat limit the guard staging, but I think they have the best color pallet in DCI this year (and last year too).

Crown is far and away the best guard of the season, though not my personal favorite (SCV). I think they're the best guard Crown's had since "A Second Chance" and that whackadoodle Adam Sage flag book.

I do think A Second Chance was the best of the Sage years (though I think it was still Michael Townsend?), but 2013 was the bomb.com.

• Like 1

Winner winner chicken dinner.

This takes me back to a few years ago ​with clothes racks on the field and the changing of costuming in plain sight from both the corps members and the guard. Imagine if Crown or Bluecoats or (insert corps here) attempted the same thing, it would be pounced on and called out in a heartbeat. Yet when BD does it, it's deemed revolutionary.

That was last year. I think what people liked about it was that, for a show where the entire guard were the "extras" on a movie set, it was clever to see them treat the entire field like it was the studio: lights, cameras, dressing rooms, etc. So yeah, they get changed "in plain sight," because what we're seeing is everything backstage. Judges probably also liked that members went from changing costumes to immediately (and cleanly) joining a very long flag feature that lasts for most of that show's opener.

I agree that BD's color guard is sometimes overrated, in terms of performance, but no other guard of the last 10 years has as consistently contributed as creatively to the character and themes of their shows -- not even Crown, whose guard I love, but whose staging is sometimes meh and whose work sometimes showcases skill to the detriment of musicality. (Why, for example, isn't the raw simplicity of Crown's ballad this year reflected in the guard writing? -- why do they choose that moment, of all moments, to have a flag line, a sabre line, dancers, AND a corps writhing around under a bright red silk? Compare this use of red to PR 1996. It's overkill.)

It's clear, though, that BD and Crown are in a league of their own.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1