Hypothetical Cadets Uniform Question

I'd love to see a DCI and a Cadets (and a DCP!) where "innovation" doesn't mean "change your uniform so it's more like the other groups".

I don't get the vibe that IF this change is made, it's being done to look more like other groups. I think it would be more because, as they described in the other changes they are making, it totally fits the music and the show.

If the Cadets ask DeMoulin to make them uniforms, it's not like they would say no. And the Cadets can easily sell those uniforms after the season.

Or they keep them and use them for the next season's show like they did in 2005/2006,

Thing is - think of all the additional expenses of changing the uniforms like new shoes and shakos/plumes.

Edited by Lincoln

They've already added a ton of black to their show so the rumor might be correct. New guard uniforms look very nice as do the new silks. If they continue with the current color scheme and they do indeed get new uniforms I would bet that they would be all black with a neon green cumberbund

When did they add the black - the latest videos (Broken Arrow) still look like they've looked all season... or am I missing something?

Are there any links to these new units etc. ...?

Edited by ashevillemurphy

Honestly I hoped they would do something like that for a dark-type show, sort of like what Phantom did in I think it was 1995 (?). I can only imagine what they would look like. I think it'd be pretty freakin cool.

Or they keep them and use them for the next season's show like they did in 2005/2006,

Thing is - think of all the additional expenses of changing the uniforms like new shoes and shakos/plumes.

I suspect the top corps, through sponsorship, pay very little or nothing for their uniforms, costumes, flags etc. The PR alone is worth the cost of the uniform. Already DeMoulin is getting a ton of coverage......

Honestly I hoped they would do something like that for a dark-type show, sort of like what Phantom did in I think it was 1995 (?). I can only imagine what they would look like. I think it'd be pretty freakin cool.

1996, and yeah, a black on black Cadets with the different shades is what I always had in mind, a la Phantom.

Mike

When did they add the black - the latest videos (Broken Arrow) still look like they've looked all season... or am I missing something?

Are there any links to these new units etc. ...?

They're in the process of changing guard unis, silks, and prop colors.

There's speculation that the corps proper uniform will be changing as well, but no confirmation. Hop has effectively said, "no dice" and he's generally pretty open about stuff like this, so who knows what to expect.

I'll answer the question. As an alum, I'd be upset to see a radical change. The uniform is what ties together every Cadet from 1934 to the present.

I was OK with 2005-06 and 2011 because they retained the basic uniform style and colors. I wasn't as thrilled with 2012 because that was further from the Maroon and Gold, but it made sense in the context of the show.

But a hypothetical gray scale? Wouldn't be thrilled with that either, particularly because I think this shows design evidences many of the things that have given the Cadets a unique identity over the last 30+ years.

The uniform is part of that identity. A major move away from that would, in my eyes, detract from rather than add to the show. This kind of show could only come from the Cadets, so they need to look like the Cadets.

• Like 5

The uniform is part of that identity. A major move away from that would, in my eyes, detract from rather than add to the show. This kind of show could only come from the Cadets, so they need to look like the Cadets.

Awesome response, StuStu. Thanks!

One question, though. At this stage of the game, having seem them in the maroon and gold performing this show, and knowing that the performance is only going to get better from here on out, would that soften the blow a bit if they changed the uniform with a week or so to go? After all, this magnificent show is still a magnificent show, and we all know it's the Cadets who are performing it.

Follow up question, if they don't "look like" the Cadets, does that make this version of the corps "less than" in your eyes?

(PS - I'm loving the conversation so far!)