Lower placing World Class Corps ---WOW!

The Corps in the non top 10, top 12 are indeed of captivating interest. They also get better all the time. I too enjoyed the Mandarins.

As a side note... there sometimes is the misconception that only the top tier Corps are where we find the newest ideas, concepts, new instrumentation being introduced. But its a fallacy. Some of the newest concepts in show design, in new instrumentation, etc actually came from the non top tier corps over the years.. and then went upstream to them, where these elites decided to copy it, and give it wider publicity. Yes, sometimes the newest creations come from the top tier Corps, but alot of it was seen and heard in the ranks of the non top 12 Corps first. Time does not permit me to list all these new creativities that were first utiilzed here in these ranks, but believe me, there are dozens I could list over the years. I always try and catch the shows each year of the Corps at these levels. I never fail to find interesting new things coming forth from these level Corps... and besides, some of them have shows that are not pretentious, nor convoluted theme wise. Many of them are just plain interesting and entertaining as all heck. And theres certainly nothing wrong with that, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Re: Mandarins As a band director with 12 either present or alumni marching, in the Mandarins, I am very proud of the improvement of the corps this year. The whole corps has taken a major step forward this season.

I am especially pleased with the administration and staff. My kids are having a great experience while learning so much musically and emotionally. Their corps director has put together an excellent staff that does an excellent job of teaching, while caring about the kids. The whole support staff really takes care of the members.

Fortunately, I am going to be able to go to Indy this year and see them in person. This will allow me to see two other alumni, that will be marching in the Blue Devils and Blue Coats. My Blue Coat alumni is aging out, so it is my last chance to show up and support my kids.

• Like 3

I wonder if one of the reasons there is such an up tic in quality in this WC peer group is because last year some open class corps who shall remain nameless came in and obliterated some world class corps who shall also remain nameless.

I wonder if one of the reasons there is such an up tic in quality in this WC peer group is because last year some open class corps who shall remain nameless came in and obliterated some world class corps who shall also remain nameless.

, Couldn't it likewise be said that BDA Corps has increased the level of performance of the competition around them too this season, since they completely " obliterated " all of them last season too ?

Edited by BRASSO

That's one of the reasons I go to DATR...to see the lower corps as well as whichever top 6 corps comes that year. It's a show that has corps from every level and they are all great to watch...especially this year.

Of course, the other reason I go to DATR is that it's the closest show...about 100 miles away.

I remember traveling to championships the year before I marched, 2004 since that was the closest it probably ever would be. Luckily I got to perform in front of SoCal at Pasadena which was a blast. I really want championships to start rotating again around the country, that was one aspect to tour I enjoyed, seeing all different cities and towns every year.

My dad was mad that only BK was doing the Ogden show and would not go.

I told him he doesn't know how good all these other corps are. Oh well his loss.

There may not be as many corps these days as back in the 60s and 70s, but what we have are some truly excellent performing groups at all levels. All the world class units are just fantastic, and that includes Pioneer who I am sure sometimes feel the sting of being at the bottom of the rankings, but in the end none of that matters. This is the best I've seen PIO in a number of years. Also, check out the open class units. WOW. So many of them are strong and doing very well on the field and financially. That is a healthy sign. Keeping fingers crossed this continues, both the on the field quality and the off the field financial success.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

I'll be giving them PLENTY of love in a write up I'm doing, watch for that after Allentown.

And I agree. It seems like starting in 2011, the quality AND entertainment value has just sky rocketed. Every year, there are more and more shows I just love. Open Class too. I mean, last year Cascades had one of my favorite shows. This year they do again. I try to talk about these shows a lot (last few weeks kinda been hectic). But, the talent level and entertainment just keeps going up. Of last years non finalists, Colts, Troopers, The Academy, Oregon Crusaders, Mandarins, and Cascades all have shows I REALLY enjoy. I think as recently as 2009 - 2010 some of these shows would have easily been in finals contention. Just a testament to how much everyone is moving forward. Bravo to Pioneer, scores might not show it but this is their best show in years. Cascades too. Mandarins best corps ever? Still think 2013s Destination America show is their strongest design, but they're GOOD this year. The Academy is a show I could have seen in finals less than 10 years ago. Oregon Crusaders visual performance is holding them back, but overall a step in the right direction IMO. Might not enjoy it as much as 2013 - 2014, but it's a great show and a fantastic corps. Then in open class you have Vanguard Cadets, Blue Devils B, Legends, Music City, 7th Regiment, and Genesis with shows I really enjoy as well. I can't wait to watch the entire set of prelims shows a week from Thursday, such a fantastic group.

• Like 1