Lower placing World Class Corps ---WOW!

That's what you took away from his thoughtful post? One of many I might add. Drum man is one of the most positive people posting on DCP.

Thanks...............like I said, I like Spirits show (ballad and the company front in the closer are GREAT), but overall I don't LOVE it. Was the point I was trying to make.

A 17th-place, 18th-place corps now would have been a solid finalist back in the day.

I get the quality thing. But lets not put down one element in order to prop up another. I too enjoy quite a few of the non finalist Corps of today. But I also did enjoy many BITD non finalist Corps in many cases too. Those BITD units did not have 60-80 sized brass lines, the legal use of all sorts of multiple instrumentation, allowed to march until 22, teaching staff numbers of 25-40, $400,000- 800,000 + dollar annual budgets, and so forth. Plus, the marcher talent of today is condensed into 30-40 Corps, not spread out among 300-400 Corps.

The top 1-5 Corps of today would not have made the top 1-5 in placement BITD either. We know this... as penalties alone ( overage members, use of illegal instrumentation, sideline violations, too many marchers, undertiming violations etc.. and on and on) would have buried them under the judging system in place at that time.

Thus, I'm always leary of comparing different eras of abilities in Drum Corps when such vast differences between then and now make any such comparisons.. including placements... an exercise in nothing more than abject uselessness, imo

Edited by BRASSO

Thanks...............like I said, I like Spirits show (ballad and the company front in the closer are GREAT), but overall I don't LOVE it. Was the point I was trying to make.

I get the quality thing. But lets not put down one element in order to prop up another. I too enjoy quite a few of the non finalist Corps of today. But I also did enjoy many BITD non finalist Corps in many cases too. Those BITD units did not have 60-80 sized brass lines, the legal use of all sorts of multiple instrumentation, allowed to march until 22, teaching staff numbers of 25-40, $400,000- 800,000 + dollar annual budgets, and so forth. Plus, the marcher talent of today is condensed into 30-40 Corps, not spread out among 300-400 Corps.

The top 1-5 Corps of today would not have made the top 1-5 in placement BITD either. We know this... as penalties alone ( overage members, use of illegal instrumentation, sideline violations, too many marchers, undertiming violations etc.. and on and on) would have buried them under the judging system in place at that time.

Thus, I'm always leary of comparing different eras of abilities in Drum Corps when such vast differences between then and now make any such comparisons.. including placements... an exercise in nothing more than abject uselessness, imo

I think your post just proves Fran right.

These corps today are bigger operations than before, and it shows. They put out higher quality products.

I think your post just proves Fran right.

These corps today are bigger operations than before, and it shows. They put out higher quality products.

Sure... the Corps of today in the 13th-18th range are much ( as you said ) " bigger operations and put out higher quality products " than the 13th-18th place Corps of BITD did.. ..........no doubt about it.

Also, the Corps in the wider 40th to 60th range of BITD were also " much bigger operations and put out higher quality products " than anything of today too................no doubt about it.

Edited by BRASSO

Gosh, mister.... thanks!!!! :lol:

Gosh, mister.... thanks!!!! :lol:

You're welcome ( I think... lol! )

Can this thread be solely devoted to appreciating the lower placing World Class corps? Does every thread have to turn into a p****** match

But that's what DCP excels at. LOL!

• Like 2