Sad State

It could be the same as we always hear ...... words to effect that: we do not comment on matters that (may be) under litigation or lead to litigation......DCI just being cautious in what they say........ any legal people agree??????

in this case probably. but customer service hasn't exactly been a DCI hallmark since, oh 1972

This situation is just unacceptable. The lost revenue to DCI has got to be big. It is inexcusable & CEO's get fired for such things. Change is needed & it should start at the top. It's time.

Calm down. It has nothing to do with DCI and DCI is doing everything they can to rectify the situation as soon as possible.

Thank you, license holding companies, for taking away my ability to enjoy my own dang performance. And thanks for upsetting the operations of a not-for-profit music education enterprise that was doing nothing that would take away from your profits.

This is the crux of the issue. Greedy suits in copyright departments who are going after non-profit music education firms because we are the great untapped potential for them.

I'm a high school band director. The big merger happened last summer (after we had paid our licensing... whew!). Our copyright fees went from less than $700 last season to over $2200 for this season. And there's very little we can do, other than start programming all original music (expensive!!) or all music that is in the public domain (essentially music composed before 1930).

• Like 2

The music industry itself is digging its own grave by tightening it's grip on copyrights.

They may be digging their own grave, but unfortunately, they will probably dig the graves of WGI, DCI, BOA, and HS Marching Band long before.

• Like 1

As I understand it (Dan Acheson explained this at a meeting for Board Members of the corps last April), DCI plans to continue to offer CDs and DVD/Blue-ray for the time being, as there are a decent number of folks like myself that buy them every year.

DCI was selling DVDs/Blu-rays at the past couple of regionals.

They may be digging their own grave, but unfortunately, they will probably dig the graves of WGI, DCI, BOA, and HS Marching Band long before.

I'm optimistic that the activities will live, even though things might get tough for a while. Maybe that's because I'm on my way to being a band director, and therefore crossing my fingers that I'll still have a marching band to run, but here's to hoping...

As I understand it (Dan Acheson explained this at a meeting for Board Members of the corps last April), DCI plans to continue to offer CDs and DVD/Blue-ray for the time being, as there are a decent number of folks like myself that buy them every year.

DCI was selling DVDs/Blu-rays at the past couple of regionals.

But why no online sales of them? This seems to be a new development.

I don't believe DCI was selling any DVD/BRD product at the past Regionals. I believe they WERE selling CD product.

I KNOW the 'plan' is to sell some DVD/BRD product this weekend at Allentown (at least it was as of last weekend in Atlanta).

DCI.org already has CDs available from past years (up to and including 2014) on the web.

Edited by Lead

As we are writing the final chapters and then closing the book on 2015 a few things are clear.... Drum Corps is alive and well in every level and tier. And,

The lack of video that would normally be available to watch and show the next generation of students is sadly not around. I know some will roll their eyes and say boo hoo Wes get over it, but here's why I bring it up. As I'm sure there are many music educators like myself, those VOD and archives served as an inspirational tool to open the minds of our youth and my students esp. Every year towards the end of band camp I'd have a watching party to not only see the current years drum corps but to pay homage to many years, champs and great stories in DCI History. This isn't about griping that DCI live costs more for less product. Its about DCI providing less product for more to enjoy and perhaps spark a creative young mind to enjoy a higher level of marching arts. Maybe this is the new normal, maybe we're destined to resort to Periscope or YouTube to watch back great performances. But that's a shame..... Watching SCV 88 (I like better than 89)or Star 91, Suncoast Sound 88, Anaheim Kimgsman in the first ever Championships etc... Aren't available to share. So while I'm greatful that I'll be able to watch Allentown and Finals week live, I'm also saddened that for the first time in many years- I can't have a watching party to commemorate that art of drum corps with my students... That makes for a truly Sad State in an absolutely fantastic year for drum corps.

Wes P

I agree. This season might be the first ever that I didn't get a FN subscription. I haven't really watched a drum corps show at all this year, and to be blunt I've barely missed it. I don't check scores nearly as often as I have in past years with a FN subscription and I've quickly found a myriad of ways to spend my free time without feeling like I'm missing out.

For me, not having the "DVR" function for FN was a deal breaker. I live in Southern CA, and the majority of the shows (especially regionals) start early and last all day. I can't afford to give up that much time at one time to watch the live stream; in the past I've started the show late afternoon/early evening, fast forwarded corps I wasn't that into, and had a blast with the shows I liked. I can't justify dropping $100 (or whatever it is) to not be able to watch streams when I want to/can. I know that might be petty of me, and there is no other live-streaming subscription (I suspect) where I could've down that other than previous FN years. But with sports and other things there are tons of highlights for games that I can watch instead of sitting through a live game (if I can't find the time) and there aren't any other legit opportunities with FN.

I was thinking last weekend (while I was at Yosemite having a blast), "hey - I've hardly paid attention this season to drum corps." At face-value that bums me out. After being a fan of DCI since the early 1990s it's been a big part of my life; as a music teacher FN has often been an invaluable teaching tool, be it to show students or to watch for inspiration for me personally. But practicality-wise it hasn't done anything other than give me more time to enjoy other things. I feel like DCI is missing out on my dollars & fandom because of this big (IMO) step-down in Fan Network offerings this season.

The only thing I can fault DCi for is how they communicated the issue to their fans

This is so freaking true. To me at least, DCI's lack of communication, for whatever reason, makes me feel like they don't care about me as a customer. Because of that feeling, I've returned the sentiment and not really cared too much to pay attention or consume drum corps this season: truly a losing proposition for BOTH parties for the most part. I get the legalities, the sentiment of DCI not wanting to over-promise & under-deliver or speak to soon before the facts are solidified. I would be a LOT more forgiving if DCI was a little more forthcoming with me but their terrible handling of this situation from a customer service perspective is inexcusable and really doesn't help sway me to continue to give them my money or subscription at this time.

Edited by perc2100