Official DCI Semifinals Thread 2015

I don't care where Troopers end up. I'm one proud former member. Very proud! H.L.D.

Unfortunately, not a former member here. But as a proud and loyal follower for 40 years...I hope that my thoughts count every bit as much.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, not a former member here. But as a proud and loyal follower for 40 years...I hope that my thoughts count every bit as much

Troopers 1968 at the VFW finals in Detroit were my drum corps WTF moment as in what have I got myself into.

• Like 1

Crest & Mandarins both had phenomenal runs today, but I'll echo what every previous poster has stated about PC's design flaws, and also add in Mandarins to that issue. I think both executed at much higher levels than their designs allowed. Don't get me wrong, Mandarins were INCREDIBLY exciting, with a clean and aggressive battery, and spectacular visual moments, but that Key Poulan music book didn't do them any favors when all was said and done. Very little in the way of dynamics/shaping/lyrical playing was demonstrated, and let's be honest, does anyone even remember their 2013 or 2014 music books? I think this season will be similarly forgotten musically, although the show as a whole package will be very memorable. The brass, and especially that line & front ensemble combo, executed easily above the Spirit/OC level, and the visual was a treat to watch, but the music book was a Key Poulan work that was more inspired than previous years, but flat in the end. Aggressive and exciting are great accolades for it, but I can't think of much else. And while those two accolades are nice, we need to see other musical aspects demonstrated to compete with the corps above them. I truly thought they would place above BDB, though. That was a bit disapointing.

I agree with just about everything you said except for your implied importance of a memorable music book. I don't find that to be a very important aspect to being musically effective (it's a little bit like people who complain about Stephen Sondheim because they can't leave the theater humming the tunes). For example, I can't remember even a little bit of Bluecoats' musical books from the past couple years (or even this year) but I LOVED them.

Question posed to Michael Boo:

Do you know why the Crusader's drum major had another hat that he displayed like in tribute and then placed on the podium before he took off his own hat?

Boo doesn't know the answer. Does anyone here?

Never mind...it's been answered. The other hat is from the original uniform of Boston Crusaders.

Edited by Herk
  • Like 1

all of last year, and one show this year we would do.... tinychat I think.

Question posed to Michael Boo:

Do you know why the Crusader's drum major had another hat that he displayed like in tribute and then placed on the podium before he took off his own hat?

Boo doesn't know the answer. Does anyone here?

That's the original BAC shako. it's their 75th anniversary

This girl has an absolutely beautiful voice.

• Like 2