Boston Crusaders 2016

I wonder if SCV got permission from Van Gogh for their 'Starry Night"-inspired guard outfits a few years back....don't know in either case.

Painted in 1889. Therefore, Public Domain.

One thing I have been asking myself so far this year, however, and seeing that lower right leg of the guard uniform, I have to keep asking it:

Boston - did you obtain licensing rights from Artists Rights Society to reproduce the Pablo Picaso work?

I'll do more intensive checking on this later tonight. But based upon cursory inspection, copyright of visual art/media (painting, sculpture, etc.), copyright is maintained for the life of the artist plus 70 years. But as I said, I'll check up more on this later.

Quixote dates from 1955, and I believe is still under protection. It doesn't seem that ARS is quite as diligent as the music industry. However, James Cameron requested licensing rights from the estate of Picasso to use his 1907 Les Demoiselles d’Avignon in the movie Titanic. The estate refused, but Cameron used it anyway. ARS complained, and Cameron ended up paying them a fee. Flash forward to 2012 when the studio re-released Titanic in 3D format, and they replaced the Picasso painting in the film with a public domain Manet painting, because ARS would not consent.

do I see this becoming an equivalent of the music licensing issue? No. But it is essentially the same issue.

do I see this becoming an equivalent of the music licensing issue? No. But it is essentially the same issue.

One would think. I agree with you. But then again, when it comes to matters of law...anyone's guess or logic is as good as anybody else's.

One would think. I agree with you. But then again, when it comes to matters of law...anyone's guess or logic is as good as anybody else's.

It's a bit ironic that this particular show has dealt with music sync rights....and now perhaps a new realm of "artists" rights. I don't think any of us have any idea whether the Boston Crusaders and/or Band Shoppe secured the rights to showcase on their costume Picasso's sketch of the Man of La Mancha or not...My rudimentary knowledge is it would be protected under copyright given the fact that Pablo Picasso died in 1973...

According to the Artists rights society...

Works originally created before January 1, 1978, but not published or registered by that date: These works have been automatically brought under the statute and are now given federal copyright protection. The duration of copyright in these works will generally be computed in the same way as works created on or after January 1, 1978, namely, the life-plus-70 or 95/120-year terms will apply to them as well. The law provides that in no case will the term of copyright for works in this category expire before December 31, 2002, and for works published on or before December 31, 2002, the term of copyright will not expire before December 31, 2047.

Works originally created and published or registered before January 1, 1978: Under the law in effect before 1978, copyright was secured either on the date a work was published with a copyright notice or on the date of registration if the work was registered in unpublished form. In either case, the copyright endured for a first term of 28 years from the date it was secured. During the last (28th) year of the first term, the copyright was eligible for renewal. The Copyright Act of 1976 extended the renewal term from 28 to 47 years for copyrights that were subsisting on January 1, 1978, or for pre-1978 copyrights restored under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), making these works eligible for a total term of protection of 75 years.

Edited by Liahona

Discussing sync rights instead of the shows could potentially give me a cluster headache. ( lol!).

And not to pile on, but just because I find it interesting:

• the head of Quixote on the left abdomen is from Visions of Quixote (1989) by Octavio Ocampo
  • the drawing on the left upper arm I've seen attributed to Salvador Dali, probably 1956/7, but I'm not certain whether that is accurate

So...how about them Crusaders? I find it completely absurd that in a season where Boston might well have its strongest corps in many years that we are speculating on controversies which may or may not arise about issues which may or may not surface. How about taking a look at what we do know, have seen, and heard about this year's show? Perhaps reaction to the music? The visual package? The organization? The preview?

As I write this, the drum corps is in Indiana working their tails off. Please tell me that as supporters of these kids, we have more to offer them than these capricious ramblings about fictitious scenarios and contrived controversies.

BAC, I, for one, can't wait to see you guys tomorrow night!

I'm sorry - I didn't realize this board was limited to offering unbridled praise for a show that few people have actually seen, as opposed to discussing the guard uniforms which WERE posted within the last few days. How absurd of me not to join the masses who expend their unlimited words shouting out unfounded opinions to fill the empty waiting before the corps actually premiers its show.

If you think I am attacking the corps, you are sadly mistaken, since my own son auditioned for the corps this season and we fully expected him to march with them, until his plans changed. I'll take the hint though, and leave this particular thread to those whose messages you deem worthy.

As for BAC themselves, I wish for them all the accolades that they have earned.

• Like 1