Boston Crusaders 2016

I have an auction item purchased years ago that I'd like to donate back to the corps for the building in Hyde Park. It would be historical wall décor.

Cool. Contact the Corps, LabMaster.

I'm confused by the show names Boston has for its contests this year.

So far I understand the Eastern Classic competition which once was to be in Foxboro is patriotically shipping off to Boston to be at the best university on Commonwealth Avenue, not that other university on Commonwealth Avenue. Then they had that other contest in Quincy, Aug 4. which was more recently they've called the CYO Tribute contest.

But the origins of the CYO Nationals actually began on Commonwealth Avenue too when Archbishop Williams or Gangplank Bill Cardinal O'Connell brought the local corps to play for the seminarians at St. John's Seminary across the street from the modern BC campus and stadium. The last few real CYO Nationals were held at BC stadium across from that seminary whose grounds have been more recently bought by BC.

SO CYO which started on Commonwealth Av. won't be on Commonwealth Av. but at Quincy, and the Eastern Classic won't be with the Patriots but at BC, once home of the CYO before the tributes.

This may take a few more cases from S. Adams to figure out correctly, heh Brasso and friends? Talk about layering...

Edited by xandandl

Also CYO Nationals once was held in Harvard Stadium in the daytime. And that may have been the very last one. What is now known as the East Coast Classic was at one time the 27th Lancers show. The ECC has moved around a bit too being held at Manning Bowl, Holy Cross and Lawrence.

Also CYO Nationals once was held in Harvard Stadium in the daytime. And that may have been the very last one. What is now known as the East Coast Classic was at one time the 27th Lancers show. The ECC has moved around a bit too being held at Manning Bowl, Holy Cross and Lawrence.

and the Beanpot was in the last few decades sponsored by the Beverly Cardinals/St. Mary's Cardinals Alumni of Beverly, Mass., the very corps who bought the uniforms of the Holy Name Cadets back when the pastor dumped the corps, renamed the Garfield Cadets. The Cardinals' moderator at that time was Fr. John D'Arcy, later to be named Bishop of South Bend-Ft. Wayne where recently St. Francis University named the football stadium in his honor. DCI again has a contest in that very stadium, Aug. 2. http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=965779&SPID=166025&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=210489603

I was at that CYO contest at Harvard and am one of the many hundreds who know why it was never there again. It was historic at the time that CYO was allowed to use it.

Edited by xandandl

So far I understand the Eastern Classic competition which once was to be in Foxboro is patriotically shipping off to Boston to be at the best university on Commonwealth Avenue, not that other university on Commonwealth Avenue. Then they had that other contest in Quincy, Aug 4. which was more recently they've called the CYO Tribute contest.

But the origins of the CYO Nationals actually began on Commonwealth Avenue too when Archbishop Williams or Gangplank Bill Cardinal O'Connell brought the local corps to play for the seminarians at St. John's Seminary across the street from the modern BC campus and stadium. The last few real CYO Nationals were held at BC stadium across from that seminary whose grounds have been more recently bought by BC.

SO CYO which started on Commonwealth Av. won't be on Commonwealth Av. but at Quincy, and the Eastern Classic won't be with the Patriots but at BC, once home of the CYO before the tributes.

This may take a few more cases from S. Adams to figure out correctly, heh Brasso and friends? Talk about layering...

Learn to evolve and it all will make sense to you. Other than that, I got nothing.

Has anyone seen an issue with this site. Phishing/ security issues.

• Like 4

The CYO Nationals started during Cardinal Cushing's tenure. Archbishop Williams was in Heaven, and if you are a Boston priest who remembers Cardinal O'Connell's tenure, you may not have him on the same cloud as the good Archbishop. Also, the seminarians at the time CYO Nationals started most likely would have been at "the camp" when the contest was held. The camp was in Meredith, NH and it was at the camp they reduced the number of seminarians. If a guy was asked to leave, he was told to pack his bags and taken to Hart's Turkey Farm where his parents would pick him up. Just say Hart's Turkey Farm to a Boston priest sixty five or older or a former seminarian in that age bracket and you will not hear about a nice place for dinner after a foliage trip.

During my seminary college years, CYO Nationals still took place and seminarians were recruited as volunteers. Quite a few of us marched in CYO bands or drum corps.

I agree that the BC show should be CYO Nationals tribute and I wish East Coast Classic was still in Lawrence. I like the Quincy stadium, but having the show in Lawrence was a positive boost for an area that needs it.

The CYO Nationals started during Cardinal Cushing's tenure. Archbishop Williams was in Heaven, and if you are a Boston priest who remembers Cardinal O'Connell's tenure, you may not have him on the same cloud as the good Archbishop. Also, the seminarians at the time CYO Nationals started most likely would have been at "the camp" when the contest was held. The camp was in Meredith, NH and it was at the camp they reduced the number of seminarians. If a guy was asked to leave, he was told to pack his bags and taken to Hart's Turkey Farm where his parents would pick him up. Just say Hart's Turkey Farm to a Boston priest sixty five or older or a former seminarian in that age bracket and you will not hear about a nice place for dinner after a foliage trip.

During my seminary college years, CYO Nationals still took place and seminarians were recruited as volunteers. Quite a few of us marched in CYO bands or drum corps.

I agree that the BC show should be CYO Nationals tribute and I wish East Coast Classic was still in Lawrence. I like the Quincy stadium, but having the show in Lawrence was a positive boost for an area that needs it.

Yah, I thought Cushing, whose automobile was just auctioned, was too busy with the Kennedys (who got those grey Cadet unis for Boston Crusaders, formerly MPB.

No, I am not a Boston priest although I did work for both Boston CYO and EMass circuits in their heydays. When I was brought up from NY to consult, I sometimes was billeted in Peterson Hall or St. Clement's Hall.

My info about CYO Nationals is quoted from the CYO Nationals program under Msgr. Robert McNeill and Dominic Bianculi with Mr. Feinstein, the Jewish banker, bankrolling the contest.

Fr. Frank Silva, former head of CYO and assistant under Msgr. McNeil (before he became pastor in Kingston) re-printed the same under his tenure.

What you relate about the seminary etc. may all be true but isn't part of the CYO lore that they printed. It doesn't say what Bishop/Archbishop/Cardinal, just "the Ordinary."

Edited by xandandl