Boston Crusaders 2016

If the score dissapointed, the show did not. Their score really surprised me. Flesh out that middle section, adjust staging, and I think they can grow! I think this is a great vehicle.

If anyone is feeling discouraged, been there with some of my favorite corps. I believe in them, and I don't think one show is anything to base the season on.

More here:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/164402-dci-2016-tour-premier-theater-impressions-and-thoughts/#entry3532718

• Like 2

I must add, I have a friend that took a big leap and is part of BAC this year.

I am excited for him because it is a major step for an awesome experience.

I am sad, however, as that with school and other things that I may not be able to achieve my dream of experiencing DCI. ):

But, I have to congratulate everyone who is involved with this sport because they devote their summers to awesome art!

Very proud of BAC last night....they are off to a great start. Yes, I was hoping for a higher number, but while they are clearly vastly improved over the last two seasons at this time, so are the Cavies and PR. I continue to believe they will move up in ranking this year, very possibly 2 or 3 positions. The show works, and I can't wait to see where it goes. Also, I don't know what the "hot mic" in the pit was about and I couldn't tell whether it was the corps' system or the production company. Either way, I think we can assume that was a one off. Great work, Boston!

• Like 1

I predicted Boston in 10th on the placement preseason prediction thread. Its hard to move up more than 1 or 2 placement positions, year over end, and not always easy to hold the placement position from the season before. But Boston has the potential to move up a spot or 2 this year with this year's design and programming of this show, imo ( also said this ) This is my favorite Boston show in over a decade. This is a fabulous show from Boston this season, imo !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

If the score dissapointed, the show did not. Their score really surprised me. Flesh out that middle section, adjust staging, and I think they can grow! I think this is a great vehicle.

If anyone is feeling discouraged, been there with some of my favorite corps. I believe in them, and I don't think one show is anything to base the season on.

More here:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/164402-dci-2016-tour-premier-theater-impressions-and-thoughts/#entry3532718

DrumManTx... your show review on the other thread was almost word for word by impressions of all the Corps... even including the theatre sound experience. ( haha!). Thanks for taking the time to do your review of your impressions, enjoyment factor, and placement potential of the Corps. I enjoyed reading it on there.

• Like 1

DrumManTx... your show review on the other thread was almost word for word by impressions of all the Corps... even including the theatre sound experience. ( haha!). Thanks for taking the time to do your review of your impressions, enjoyment factor, and placement potential of the Corps. I enjoyed reading it on there.

I thought the windmill design was truly ingenious! But, at times it felt like everyone was trying to get around the windmills. It might do their show well to have a section where the windmills are moved to the outside in a semicircle, so you can see the corps. Also, unlike a piece of fabric, sound doesn't travel through wood. I felt like, perhaps, their audio was being hindered by the tonnage of audio-obstructing windmills on the field.

Freaking LOVED their uniforms, and especially guard. Maybe my favorite uniforms of the night.

Edited by MikeRapp

Or... more likely.... with the first look of the season... judges go conservative and use last season's placements as their benchmark for their 1st show's placements and scores.

Looks like you were right on with your post. What people were saying about last night show in CA a few corps had incomplete shows. (BK comes to mind). Hopefully BAC score will be fixed for being under score the other night. Good luck to all tonight. Go BAC.

This triumphant show has curiously hypnotic Windmill props and modern dance interpreting what Don Quixote sees. This simple interpretation of the music and heartfelt emotive dance conveys a Quixotic confusion and his unique point of view. It's a solid theme with powerful music.

After about three minutes, the dramatic action comes to a halt. It lacks heightening right now. Great prop, but what happens to it? What's the final progression or transformation? The resolve is unclear. Couple of set pieces need to be added, especially in the middle section, and I'm sure they know this. Here are some suggestions to heighten and resolve the action.

FIX: I suggest the windmills line up along the left 30 yard line, and the corps form a wedge and the entire corps approaches the windmills and fights them with sabers, as Quixote did. Then, I suggest that at the end, the guard bring out angled pieces, as if bent swords from jousting the windmills, shaped just like the windmill prongs, and by the end the entire corps unifies and creates a drill form of a massive synchronized spinning windmill, mirroring the ones on the field -- chaos is now order, and the windmill floats off right at the end, as if it has become a star, no matter how hopeful, no matter how far.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 4

This triumphant show has curiously hypnotic Windmill props and modern dance interpreting what Don Quixote sees. This simple interpretation of the music and heartfelt emotive dance conveys a Quixotic confusion and his unique point of view. It's a solid theme with powerful music.

After about three minutes, the dramatic action comes to a halt. It lacks heightening right now. Great prop, but what happens to it? What's the final progression or transformation? The resolve is unclear. Couple of set pieces need to be added, especially in the middle section, and I'm sure they know this. Here are some suggestions to heighten and resolve the action.

FIX: I suggest the windmills line up along the left 30 yard line, and the corps form a wedge and the entire corps approaches the windmills and fights them with sabers, as Quixote did. Then, I suggest that at the end, the guard bring out angled pieces, as if bent swords from jousting the windmills, shaped just like the windmill prongs, and by the end the entire corps unifies and creates a drill form of a massive synchronized spinning windmill, mirroring the ones on the field -- chaos is now order, and the windmill floats off right at the end, as if it has become a star, no matter how hopeful, no matter how far.

I wholeheartedly agree. The fight with the windmills is one of the iconic scenes of Don Quixote and I was actually really surprised that it wasn't in the show

• Like 1

One aspect of this show that helps add depth to their concept is that the performers must see that they are Don Quixote, themselves. They are absurdly, ridiculously, hopelessly idealistic. You have to be to march in drum corps.

• Like 1